Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: those that have changed steering anti-vibration joint

Rides
    Well, got a bush from Danny, had a quick look just now.

I didn't manage to undo any of the nuts on the coupling, my bush ahas so much play in it that all you can turn against is the give in the bush before you run out of space. I reckon as mentioned above, I'll have to wedge a spanner up against something and turn the wheel, tried it a few times but spanner kept falling off so may need an assistant
    Let's make sure I've got this lcear though, once I have undone the top two nuts on the coupling I then need to undo the pinch bolt further down the rack on the splined bit, then push the lower part of the joint up the shaft until it comes off. Then undo other pair of nuts on coupling, remove old nakcerd bush, refit new one, do up two nuts on upper part, slide lower part back down rack, tighten pinch bolt and tighten nuts on top of coupling?
    Is that right, only really had a quick look from the top?

Rides
    Yep that sounds about right, only getting the bottom half of the shaft out of the rack is a pain in the ass and so is getting the bugger back in

Rides
    Excuse the resurection of an old thread but i have a couple of questions about the steering disc.
    1) Is there enough room to knock the lower part of the steering shaft down to enable you to remove the steering coupling and
    2) after having a little nose, it appears (to me anyway) that the rotation of the joint is done between the half metal discs up against the plastic sleeves that go over the bolts and that the rubber disc allows the whole joint a degree of flexability and I'm confused as to how a metal disc can increase feel if your still using the afore mentioned half metal discs to transfer the turning force

Rides
    you need to drift the lower UJ upwards off the rack undo the bottom 2 nuts on the joint and pull the lower part of the column out.

the metal disc completely removes the function of the metal plates as stops and they just become washers

Rides
    ok, cheers for that

Rides
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but as it's relevant to my question I didn't see the point in starting a new one lol.

Had my MOT yesterday and got an advisory for "steering bulkhead bush has play", is this the bush they're talking about? I've got a stainless replacement ready to go in (had it for a few months actually), just never gotten round to it .