Thread: mig-wire

Rides

mig-wire

where can i get a mig-wire for the silvia how much should it cost around

Rides
    I imagine its not easy getting this done as the block will need machining to suit. Is your engine not assembled at the moment then?

This is probably only worth your while if you running really high boost. The easier option is to use a metal head gasket.

Rides
    It's just a tool that sits in the bore and your rotate it to carve the groove round the cylinder at the correct distance. For an engineering shop with the correct piece of equipment it's easy.
    The wire is just ordinary mig welding wire vut to exactly the right length to fit the circumerecnce of the groove.

the beast from the north east (derbyshire)
    Rides
    so can mig wire be used with a steel gasket or not, some people say it can and other not, and if i took it out would the grooves cause a problem ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S13 EATER
    so can mig wire be used with a steel gasket or not, some people say it can and other not, and if i took it out would the grooves cause a problem ?
    No, if you use a metal gasket take it out. It's designed to be used with a stock gasket.
    THe purpose of the wire it it should be placed in the bolcks deck exactly around the outside ot the metal fire ring of the gasket round the cylinder. When the head is clamped down the wire pushed up into the softer material outside of the fire ring. The wire then prevents combustion pressure from being able to force the fire ring outward as it's keyed into the block then thus immovable.
    If you fit a metal head gasket the presence of the wire will just cause the gasket to not clamp down flat on the block and make it leak. For a matal head gasket you want the block deck and head face to be as flat as possible. It's best if they are smmoth too so if you get the head recut ake sure they put a very fine feed on when machining it otherwise it will grip the gasket too much when torqued down.

Rides
    u can buy mig-wire from halfords. lol technically that answers the question.

Rides
    so whats better at withstanding high boost, mig wire or a metal head gasket????

Rides
    metal head gasket

Rides
    I've heard Piano Wire is better/stronger!

Rides
    Personally I'd go with a metal head gasket. It's designed for the job whereas wire was a sort of band-aid cure before metal head gaskets were common.

Really the type of wire isn't that important as the load on it is a shearing load, spread over a fair area. It's also only a very small load unless something serious fails.

the beast from the north east (derbyshire)
    Rides
    does o ringed block mean mig wired, cos on the fj.com site the write up on ben's 600bhp fj it says that it has o ringed block and steel gasket. i'am gonna go to bed and take a couple of head ache tablets, all this is giving me neur***ia.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S13 EATER
    does o ringed block mean mig wired, cos on the fj.com site the write up on ben's 600bhp fj it says that it has o ringed block and steel gasket. i'am gonna go to bed and take a couple of head ache tablets, all this is giving me neur***ia.
    I see where you mean..in that magazine artical. I think they almost certainly have that wrong. The reason you wouldn't use wire with a steel gasket is the gasket will not compress as easily and the wire wouldn't be able to cut a groove into the gasket which is it's purpose. Steel gasket has no need of wire because rather than just having a reinforced steel ring around the cylinder the whole thing is steel and therefor cylinder pressure cannot blow a section out it out like it can with a stock gasket.

With normal O rings they should by cut to follow the outside diameter of the fire ring of the gasket. Their purpose if to provide a support behind the fire ring which prevents cylinder pressure from forcing it outwards.

There is another setup which uses a gasket that has separate rings for each cylinder. The rings are thicker than the gasket and require a recessed step to be machined around the top of the bores. These are often refered to as "sealing ring" gaskets. They are pretty indestructable but I think they have been superceded by metal gaskets now.

Edit: here's a sealing ring gasket for a Nissan L series...

Last edited by ratdat; 11-01-2005 at 21:53.