Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Prices

Rides

Car Prices

Ok guys why is it that when i look on the internet, in car magazines garage forecourts etc etc, that all the usual stuff, evo's scoobies supras gto's etc fetch good money!! even the max power brigade with there saxos and corsas fetch good money for some show and no go. Why do our cars go for peanuts??

I personally have what i consider to be a fairly good condition of a car with loads of mods and it out handles and out performs just about anything i ever come accross ( maybe my big balls and psyco streak help here ) so why is it not worth any money???

Any reasonable answers please reply below in writing!!!

Rides
    They are so underated, the Nissan sports car image isnt very good (unless its a skyline).

Its amazing that I could get more money for a tacky 1998 Saxo vtr with a bodykit and neons than I could for my car.

On the other side, If they held their value better I doubt I would have one, I paid £8500 for a standard 3 year old model that cost £25,000 new. If a 3 year old one was going for 12-16k I would not have bought one. And, as the sx is a fairly unknown quantity, they dont attract thieves and the appropriate insurance rating

Rides
    1/ They are old (S13's anyway)
    2/ They are high insurance group
    3/ They are a Nissan (but not a skyline)

I personally am glad they are so cheap, having just bought one for peanuts

Rides
    People under estimate the 200, and until you`ve owned and driven one you can`t appreciate how good they are standard, and also how much tuning potential they have.

I think with the drift scene progressing as it is, there may be a trend in the market soon for the sxes.

The low prices are great for the buyers though, i`ve just brought a 2000 touring model on a W for £5200!

Rides
    because its a nissan and that the only reason imo

Rides
    butcherbrown wots that supposed to mean??? its a nissan!!!

Rides
    Just seen your the one selling the modded 200 on ebay Stu, cant believe its been for sale for so long KEEP IT

Rides
    nissan, unfortunately, have a piss poor image in this country
    people think nissan they think either micra (little car, good fuel economy, bland) knackered old datsun rust bucket, or primera (bland foreign alternative to a mondeo)

they do not think well balanced performance car

most reviews of the 350z in this country end with ... "but its still a nissan"

Rides
    i am keeping it jules, it just advertised cos i could do with the money!!! so if the right offer comes along its gone.

I suppose its true about the image thing. Never mind its good for us i suppose. I couldnt get any other car insured for £500 fully comp with all mods declared and 9 points could i!!!

Rides
    could you please keep it quite about how good these cars are as im after one in the next couple of weeks and would like to get it ''as cheap as chips''
    by the way anyone after a 04 CTR

Rides
    Feck knows. Maybe Nissan's private hire car image in the 80's due to all those Bluebirds has made all Nissans infra dig. Maybe it's just so good the press wanted to keep it to themselves - couldn't have all the plebs driving them. Or they can't work out what it is as there was no mundane shity 4 door or estate version. Maybe Nissan just don't have a clue how to entertain the press on launch days.

Read one book claiming to be a listing of performance sports cars. Author said in the intro he had had to exclude the "hugely entertaining 200SX" on the grounds it was just not expensive or exotic enough and had 2 seats in the back. Included some shit brick like Italian car (nickname translated to "the monster") with a list of faults that made it close to being un-useable along with a stupid price tag that it got dropped after a very short run and expensive re-engineering.

Some classic rag this month has a list of classic coupes. Fiat coupe (same floorpan as some crap Fiat saloon) is in there, along with MGB, Sunbeam Rapier (re-bodied Hilman Hunters) and Marina coupe. I've glanced at a book claiming to list 50 worst cars, MGB (said it was based on a van/truck and V8 overpowers it's already poor chassis) was in it and Marina (all models) made it into the top 10. 200SX is missing from both lists so that bodes well as it would be really bad news to appear in any list with a Marina in it.

Jezza Clarkson don't help. Last year he asked "What have Nissan ever done". Like they have never won an East African Sarfai rally. Like they never got the grand slam or 1,2,3 in BTCC with a privater frequently beating all the other works entries.

Rides
    I don't know about anyone else, but for me part of the appeal is the fact they are under-rated cars.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack
    Jezza Clarkson don't help.
    He did give the 200SX a rave review at it's launch though

Edit - that refers to the S14 BTW
    Last edited by Aitch; 30-12-2004 at 21:47. Reason: Clarification

Rides
    Shame they are underrated but I am glad in a way, can't believe how much car I have got for what I paid.

Rides
    They're not the longest-living cars if you don't maintain them correctly, so a 10-15 year old 200sx being priced under £2k, is not unreasonable, I reckon.

You haven't got the rally heritage of Imprezas, and Evos or the brand name of Porsche/lotus etc, and they're not exactly rare, so I wouldn't expect them to be worth as much. (A 180sx or an S15 may be worth a fair bit more to an enthusiast I guess, due to rarity)
    As standard, they're not in the nutter-car performance league either (fast, but not mentally fast) and modified cars are generally worth little more, sometimes even less, so you can't expect the potential for big power to add to the value.

There are a fair few older (probably rougher) Impreza Turbos going for under £5,000 so it's not a world away from S14s is it?

Fiat Coupe 20V turbos are pretty 'undervalued' too, as are Golf VR6s, Subaru Legacy Turbos ( )...

Rides
    Even new they were cheap, the latest ones were being knocked out at £18k with a £24.5k list price

Rides
    It's great! After loosing my last s14a, I ended up with a '99 206gti (don't ask), I saw sense, sold that and got a '99 s14a cheaper than what i got for the 206!

Rides
    They're not the longest-living cars
    For the power they run they are very long life. My mates pug 206 has had 3 ecu breakages a clutch and a gear box break all in its first 3 years/40,000 miles and its a 1.4 petrol. The box and clutch went just out of warrenty. But price its all about image.

Nissan = cheap, falls to bits, korean rubbish
    pug = quaint little girly run about
    citroen = super sports hatchbacks
    bmw/VW/merc/audi = german manic build quality vorsprung durk upper class expensive exclusive

That is probably what my sister would say about those BRANDS

edit: if nissan created a brand called "infinity" and developed it, it would double car sales of there posh cars and also second hand value. The public dont understand specifications hence they buy brands on assumptions made from marketing. How many people even know what a turbo is.
    Last edited by ian_t; 30-12-2004 at 23:11.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_t
    Nissan = cheap, falls to bits, korean rubbish
    pug = quaint little girly run about
    citroen = super sports hatchbacks
    bmw/VW/merc/audi = german manic build quality vorsprung durk upper class expensive exclusive
    Since when has Nissan been Korean?

Rides
    lol it never has voodoo melon im establishing the way the average person thinks, seriously all my family apart from my dad think that a nissan and a perodua are the same thing (i am not joking).