Thread: Exhaust blowing

Rides

Exhaust blowing

Time for some advice please guys!!!

My S14 now has Massey Ferguson painted on it instead of Nissan cos it sounds like a bloody tractor!!!

Had it up on some ramps this morning at my mates garage to see if i could find where the leak is coming from. It ok below turbo so looked up above. He showed me sooty deposits on the side of the head and reconed it was either the manifold to head gasket gone or the manifold itself had cracked

I am going to take the heat shields off tomorrow and have a look when things are cold. Has anyone ever know or had a standard S14 manifold crack?

Dont suppose anyone is up for taking my turbo off to fit a new gasket as i have never done it before???

Rides
    that happened to me mate it ended up to be the turbo gaskets. mine also had carbon on the side of the block. it cost me about £280 pound . they had to renew some bolts or something what could i say there the mechanics. so ask on the forum to see if there is anyone wanting some beer tokens bud

Rides
    i would say for definate its the turbo to manifold gasket. its not a major job but it can be a pig the biggest problem is corroded/rusty nuts and bolts especially the manifold ones they tend to snap off in the head me and a mate done mine in about an hour an a half but i had recently fitted a new turbo elbow and complete exhaust and the manifold bolts were quite loose so i was very lucky also if your not to sure dont even think about doing it as the turbo oil and water pipes are a pain to line back up and if you crossthread them in the block you then have a major job on your hands

Rides
    Have a search theres a job aid on here somewhere about changing the manifold.
    buy loadsa WD40 too

Rides
    is it ok to run without the heat shields on? i cant be bothered putting them back on!! its only going to come off real soon again. Starting from the front of the car the first two branches on the manifold are quite dirty and sooty even the nuts holding it on. The rear two branches are clean in comparison. The third branch has a stud missing thats what happens when you pay people to do things. I cant feel any gas escaping but i can hear it ok. Manifold looks ok so thats a bonus. Trip to the garage i think
    Last edited by stu658; 31-12-2004 at 09:52. Reason: updating

Rides
    leave the heatshields off mate mine have been off for a year no probs