Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those with light flywheels

Rides

For those with light flywheels

Can I have pros and cons from those who have put in an aftermarket flywheel, not skimmed the oem one, into a manual s14

Trying to decide if to deffo get one and am looking for some relevant feedback, ta

Rides
    Mine seemed to rev quicker with the fidanza... no noticable cons.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan E
    Mine seemed to rev quicker with the fidanza... no noticable cons.
    Did you do this mod at the same time as others or as an individual mod, just trying to guage how much of a difference...

Rides
    Same time as the clutch, which had been slipping for a while... so I'd got used to it being crap, and then it got loads better. Not really much use.

Rides
    Got a Fidanza one. I dont know why I didnt do it sooner. No drawbacks whatsoever. Its bloody excellent if you ask me...

Rides
    it will rev quiker but also it will be slightly harder keeping engine speed constant when cruising as there is less mass to keep the engine spinning. This is why they are used on race cars as it helps engine braking in corners
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Does it make the car jerkier to drive then?

Rides
    Not really more jerky, but you get less engine braking effect and potentailly easyier to stall (revs die quicker as well as increasing quicker and less momentum to keep it running if you almost stall but dip the clutch in time).

Dunc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismo Mark
    This is why they are used on race cars as it helps engine braking in corners
    Surely with less momentum, you'd get less of an engine braking effect?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TomM
    Surely with less momentum, you'd get less of an engine braking effect?
    As far as i see it, the flywheel keeps the engine momentum, if you lighten it less rotating weight therefore it will slow down quicker...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sxer
    As far as i see it, the flywheel keeps the engine momentum, if you lighten it less rotating weight therefore it will slow down quicker...
    Yes, a lighter flywheel will give more engine breaking.

Got a Fidanza one. I cant comment on wether there is any difference to the standard one, as I only drove the car for one day before changing the flywheel, clutch (AP Paddle) exhaust, Apexi induction kit etc.

But the engine does spin up quickly, and apparently it's the equlivelent to lighening the car but 100kg I've only stalled it a couple of times too, in 2,500 miles.

Rides
    You will notice an improvement in gear selection, this was the original purpose of lightened flywheels installed to rally cars etc. As well as this they smooth out the effect of the cylinders firing.
    This is why you see things like model T's etc which didn't have them, bouncing about while ticking over.

Note: These are cars that were probably built before some of you were an itch in your fathers pants

Yes, I have a fidenza fitted, and find the car much better to drive.

Rides
    They could also put more strain on the big ends, as the engine will be accelerating and deccelerating faster... = more force on the crank.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Yes, a lighter flywheel will give more engine breaking.
    Incorrect. With the heavier flywheel it'll take more to slow it down as it has MORE momentuim because it is heavier. Bit like a truck and a normal car doing the same speed, which has more momentium? The heavier one of course.

This is why lighened flywheels are better for heel-toe, the revs match easier because of the reduce momentium and mass.

Dunc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dunc
    Incorrect. With the heavier flywheel it'll take more to slow it down as it has MORE momentuim because it is heavier. Bit like a truck and a normal car doing the same speed, which has more momentium? The heavier one of course.

This is why lighened flywheels are better for heel-toe, the revs match easier because of the reduce momentium and mass.

Dunc.
    Dunc, your correct. With a heavier flywheel it will need more kinetic energy from the momentum of the car to slow the engine down. And thus a lighter flywheel will give less engine breaking.

Late night last night!

Call me a tw@t

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy

Call me a tw@t
    I would but you may be very big and have hands like spades and I wouldn't want to risk damage to my delicate... but manly features

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sxer
    I would but you may be very big and have hands like spades and I wouldn't want to risk damage to my delicate... but manly features
    Thats me!!

Rides
    Either I'm having brain fade, or Jeremy was right in the first place.

With engine braking, the engine is slowing the flywheel, not the other way round.

I'd expect the engine to be able to slow the car and a light flywheel, faster than it could slow the car and a heavy flywheel.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    With engine braking, the engine is slowing the flywheel, not the other way round.
    The engine is slowing the flywheel during braking as you are changing to lower gears so the engine speed needs to drop to sensible levels after down shifts. The more resistance the engine gives to this (i.e. the heavy flywheel) then the more the engine forces will go through the tranmission and try to slow the car down. This causes the rear (on RWD) to slide and try to lock up, this won't happen so much with a lightened flywheel.

Hope this helps,

Dunc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dunc
    The engine is slowing the flywheel during braking as you are changing to lower gears so the engine speed needs to drop to sensible levels after down shifts. The more resistance the engine gives to this (i.e. the heavy flywheel) then the more the engine forces will go through the tranmission and try to slow the car down. This causes the rear (on RWD) to slide and try to lock up, this won't happen so much with a lightened flywheel.

Hope this helps,

Dunc.

Sounds good

Less chance of the rear sliding means less chance of me making a fool of my self