Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **Thinking of getting 6x9's? READ THIS **

Rides

**Thinking of getting 6x9's? READ THIS **

I've noticed in this section a lot of people ask opinions of the 6x9 speakers they have been thinking of getting, infact a fair percentage of the posts in here are related to 6x9 queries.

The general view on here is that they suck, full stop. the sound quality is nowhere near as good as a pair of quality components, even those which are fairly low in the manufacturers range.
    A quick search through the past ICE posts will reveal lots of occurances of this question being asked, and its not the busiest of sections
    i know it sounds a bit patronising but if you have anything to ask it's probably been covered before so search, you could save wearing the teeny springs under your keys more than you need to thus shortening their life span.

hope this helps all those considering 6x9's

any chance of stickimafiying this mods?

Rides
    6x9's are actually quite good, but like everything else they are only as good as the sum of its parts. That means running an amp to them and not just your stereo. With decent wiring.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    6x9's are actually quite good, but like everything else they are only as good as the sum of its parts. That means running an amp to them and not just your stereo. With decent wiring.
    and put them next to all but the worst amped up components and they are pish

Rides
    6x9's are perfectly fine and dandy..
    They offer a reasonable sound for a low budget, problems occur mostly when people try to use 6x9's and a sub in the same air space, 6x9's - shelf, sub in boot.

They can still be used, but I would suggest at the least, adding a bass blocker to them.

My suggestion for a simple, but decent sounding system is always decent front components, and a single sub in the boot.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S12Kelv
    They can still be used, but I would suggest at the least, adding a bass blocker to them.
    completely negating the bass handling properties of the speaker, making it TOTALLY pointless to even fit them

a good 2-way coaxial 13cm or 17cm speaker (pioneer e-motion for example) will be infinitley better

Rides
    This is just one of those arguments that'll never go away.
    I've heard all the excuses on both sides and to be honest it doesn't matter, if your happy with the results then lets leave it at that. Everybody's allowed to have their own opinion.

One of the worst excuses I ever heard:
    Components are better than 6x9's because they make round sound waves, 6x9's make oval sound waves.
    So I suppose those funky Kicker subs make square sound waves?

Cambridge (beats the sh*t out of hatfield)
    Rides
    I'll add my 2p..

you will be forgiven for considering them if:

- if you have a budget of 30quid..
    - don't want any sort of stereo..

may you be hunted down and mauled by rabid dogs if:

- you claim to be after any form of sound quality..
    - you suggest they will give you more bass..
    - you're spending more than 40quid on your entire stereo..

james

Rides
    The 6x9`s in my front doors sound great to me. Bring on the rabid dogs!

Rides
    I think they are perfect for people who dont wanna spend more than necessary to get acceptable bass. I'm not an audiophile so spending £50-100 on some new rear speakers to add to the headunit with no amp in between suits me down to the ground. plus a sub = a lot of weight, compared to swapping in some 6x9s.

Anyway, on to more important things: which is better, an s13(a) or an s14(a)?

Rides
    6x9s are simply a cheap way of getting sounds into your car. Get a shelf, reinforce with mdf, install speakers, wire up to headunit and go.

They do not have SQ, they do not have bass, they do not provide a soundstage, they do not have clarity, and there is no excuse to use them unless you really don't care about how your music sounds.

Please, give the money to me that you plan on buying your 6x9s with I can put it to better use fueling my addication to Weight Watchers Bakewell tarts....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    I think they are perfect for people who dont wanna spend more than necessary to get acceptable bass. I'm not an audiophile so spending £50-100 on some new rear speakers to add to the headunit with no amp in between suits me down to the ground. plus a sub = a lot of weight, compared to swapping in some 6x9s.

you'd be suprised what you can get for under a ton that's better than 6x9's geeza. i'm not an audiofile tho i do love music, and once you've heard how much better music sounds through even a semi decent set of speakers when you previously had 6x9's you'll be amazed mate.

I wasnt trying to start a discussion on the matter, just a lot of people seem to ask for peoples opinions on 6x9's and what should i get type quzzies, and the answer is typically " get some components".
    it is nice to hear people's opinions when it's not overly heated tho so i suppose in a way the thread's served a purpose.

S13 is far better, thats not even a debate tho i have to say i can see myself getting an S14a in the not too distant future

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja

I spent less than £100 to get a pair of infinity co-axials, an Audiobahn sub and a Dragster 4 channel amp, my sub in it's box weighs less than the JVC 6x9s sitting in my cupboard

6x9s don't give bass, that's the main problem with them as people think they do and try to put lots through them. They are designed to give Mid-bass and treble

Rides
    did i miss it or did no one mention kenwood did 7x10,s a while back . not been into ice for a while but last install i did i used quality components up front with a mix mid way and 7x10,s at back with subs amps in boot. it was in.. mk2 gti but i found the 7x10,s better than 6x9,s and would look for a set next time when i do bec,s car for her.

Rides
    ok maybe it's lighter but you forgot the amp plus the weight of the infinities. and now you're taking up boot space :P

plus the "mid-bass" is fine for me if that's bass. I wasn't bothered about sub-bass *shrug* (i thought you got sub-bass, bass, mid and treble... so 6x9s would cover bass, mid and treble.)

anyway I take it you're talking second hand prices to get under £100 including installation

anyway at the moment I'm happy with my 6x9 set-up, costing all of £65 including installation.

Rides
    All i'll say its funn how you never see 6x9's in sound off cars..........

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by superclarkey
    All i'll say its funn how you never see 6x9's in sound off cars..........

well put there clarkey

Rides

Wooden spoon time

If it's not got Nakamichi, JL Audio, Phoenix Gold, DLS, Soundstream, MTX, Caliber, Genesis or Rock Foss (feel free to add any I've missed formula)written on it, just leave it in the shop

**wooden spoon back in draw**

Rides
    Focal speakers, Genesis amps dan, now yer talkin

Rides
    I like my cheapo Maystar comps

I fitted 5x7s in the girls MX5 as they are the standard size. Sound good, but then it's such a small car the accoustics are very different to any kind of normal car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MeLLoN Stu
    well put there clarkey