Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silverstone vs Birmingham Wheels pt2

Rides

Silverstone vs Birmingham Wheels pt2

Firstly I can't believe you blocked my thread. I thought forums were places where people could air their views and oppinions. I don't see the problem with the qustion I asked and I'm sure a lot of people would have valid answers which I'm genuinely interested in as I think others would be. If the thread turned into a slanging match then I could understand why you would block it but you haven't even given it a chance.
    I read the individual threads regarding both events as you suggested Phil and feel it would be difficult to form my own oppinion as neither threads actually give me the information I'm after. Which is 'if you went to both events which one did you think was better?' All the posts in each thread relate to the individual events and both were given praise which I can conclude that both events were good but I would still like to know which one was better in the eyes of other people that attended both.
    I'm particularly interested in your opinion Phil as you state in a previous post with reference to an event possibly being run at Birmingham Wheels and Ken Nomura attending:

'Absolute bollocks, why the f*ck would they do it at Birmingham wheels lol Myself James and Paz pushed that track as far as you can go, Ken would f*cking laugh his ass right out the country and never come back lol'

I actually agree with your oppinion as I think an event like the one at Birmingham Wheels is detremental to the whole drift scene in the UK. It may have been a good fun event on the surface but for drifting to be taken as a serious competitve motorsport in the UK it needs to be professionally organised and run which is something that the OPT Drift club does very well.
    It seems to me that the organisers of the Birmingham Wheels event are just trying to jump on the band wagon from all the hard work that the OPT Drift club have put in over the last few years trying to create a great motorsport event. The likes of Ken Nomura should really have attended Silverstone to see how it's done properly so he would'nt 'f*cking laugh his ass right out the country and never come back lol' as you stated. If you would like I can pm you my telephone number and we could discuss it?

Rides
    This will probably be closed, but I might get a reply in first.

It was done properly at Wheels, and the Battle Style totally made the event. As for the track, it might be small but everyone driving seemed to be able to compete pretty easily unlike Silverstone which is becoming regarded as just a big power layout. Silverstone by comparison was boring, but it does give the not so confident people like me a chance to drive which I did at Silverstone but not Wheels. Also seeing all 8 cars drifting at the same time at wheels was totally awesome and just doesnt happen at Silverstone with all regulations imposed.

As for what I think was better, then it would be Birmingham Wheels but I feel that was more of a one off event unlike D1 at Silverstone which happens for a few rounds a year. Wheels probably wont be the same as the one thats just happened.

Lee

Rides
    IMO phil did the best thing to close the thread it is to likely to be a slagging match. I pray that wheels wasn't a one off it just had the excitment off the battle to say the least, and although it hasn't got the appeal of silverstone to many, and its not going to be in the best interests of some (walls) I think people have to see the two events taking place. I for one couldnt put wheels into words

I love driving, I truly need to drift more than anthing else at the moment and have wanted to involved in motorsport for as long as I can remember. Get there and experience it for youselves you will have all the info you need.

Rides
    Without going to 'wheels' my opinion doesn't count for much. but I'm going to give it anyway.

The best way to judge how good an event is, is to speak to the drivers. If the drivers are loving it, then spectators will follow.
    I didn't go to wheels cause I was far to sceptical about the whole thing (shame on me )

Opt are doing a great job, but I now know from experience that my MR2 is going to struggle to do much better as is round Silverstone. And what really lets Silverstone down is the judging. It's way to inconsistent!

Rides
    I actually agree with your oppinion as I think an event like the one at Birmingham Wheels is detremental to the whole drift scene in the UK. It may have been a good fun event on the surface but for drifting to be taken as a serious competitve motorsport in the UK it needs to be professionally organised and run which is something that the OPT Drift club does very well.
    It seems to me that the organisers of the Birmingham Wheels event are just trying to jump on the band wagon from all the hard work that the OPT Drift club have put in over the last few years trying to create a great motorsport event.
    After being at the event yesterday it was a hell of an event and will be a landmark point for UK drift!! Option video anyone?
    Silverstone is fun, but wheels was raw!!

Rides

Rides
    Not been to wheels either - but I can tell you some things that swing me in its favour having been to silverstone.

1) Its un-restricted drifting with twin drift and antics which is what I love and we all go out and by the videos for. I don't like the restrictions silverstone has.

2) It had a D1 driver there ! Ken and his red knickers So well done to whomever for organising that.

3) Its a small drift circuit the 86's were pants at silverstone apart from the crazy yellow one which was running 180ps ? it is a power circuit rather than a drift circuit.

3) Its not up to OPT or ANY single organisation out there to run UK drifting as a whole and why should it be ? The scene will be fragmented and there will be various events you can go to. In my opinion thats a good thing as it promotes competition and means we as punters get the best deal !

I think thats silly there is no reason why OPT is the only solution to drifting. Cath is going to be doing things at crail, will that be detremental ? I don't see anyone tootling up to scotland to promote it there ? Neither do I see people coming to Liverpool so I can have a drifting scene ! Wheels and OPT are great but I would still love to see venues ALL OVER Britain

Sorry if its got drifting in it then its fine by me. Anyone who tries to get more exposure be it opt, driftbob, my nan its all good !

Rides
    I also couldn't make the Wheels event and wish I had, I was simply knackered.

However I really don't think this should be a some place versus another. Both events sound like they were superb and both had their pros and cons.

What really needs to happen is both events and more in the future need to work together to bring the drivers, spectators and guests in their masses.

If Birmingham is being dismissed as dangerous, then heck 1/2 of the F1 tracks in the season would be cancelled. There will always be risk, some take it, some don't. Motorsport is those who take risks within their skill limits, the better skilled the drivers, the further they go. This does contract the level the sport it at, I just couldn't afford to risk my car being damaged when I have no other means of getting to work... Yet

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenagh
    3) Its not up to OPT or ANY single organisation out there to run UK drifting as a whole and why should it be ? The scene will be fragmented and there will be various events you can go to. In my opinion thats a good thing as it promotes competition and means we as punters get the best deal !
    But it's important that all the organisers work together to promote drifting with a common image and the same rules/attitude etc. For instance there are many rally events but they all have important core values and brands, but this doesn't stop many different types of events being held.

Rides
    Yeah I'd love that too but in the real world we know all that walks and money talks m8 I just can't see the various organisers being willing.

Even tho they would PROBABLY make more money if they did !

Rides
    Normally I would just delete this post and give you a warning, as the previous thread was closed with a very polite and valid explantion.. There are ways to ask questions without pissing off moderators, The PM button would have done fine.. But as you are particulally interested in my opinion and you have pissed me off with your attitude here you go:

I will not comment on whether Silverstone is better than Wheels or vice verser, as that is just my opinion and I won't sway peoples decissions to go to one or the other. The reason why?: as a moderator of one of the biggest U.K. Drift Forum, people might just take my word for it, when really they should experience both for themselves, and form their own opinion..

Wheels
    Terry is the 1st to admit he did things wrong, there was no way anyone was going to believe that Ken Nomura was turning up to Birmingham wheels, off the back of a badly put together website, with all it's information copied from various other websites. I kept people up to date with 'MY' opinion of what I thought was going to happen, which after meeting Terry was very much more positive.. I put my hands up, I was wrong, there were valid reasons for the outburst that you have sarcastically quoted, but I was wrong, and have made this clear to Terry..
    The track was just as shit and dangerous as I described it, I tore up more tyres than I have at any other event in the past, but we didn't give a shit, the atmosphere and skill level more than made up for it.. Using the oval meant that spectators and judges were right next to the action, this IS how events are run in Japan, and you saying that an event like this is detremental to thet U.K. scene after reading all the positive comments in the other thread is quite confusing..

You are entitled to your opinion, but in future, please respect the decissions of moderators, we have been here alot longer than you with your 15 posts, and we dont close threads just for the sake of it. If in the future you have any queries, hit the PM button before going of on one..

Phil

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nattcharles
    It seems to me that the organisers of the Birmingham Wheels event are just trying to jump on the band wagon from all the hard work that the OPT Drift club have put in over the last few years trying to create a great motorsport event.
    Yeaaahh... Its True. OPT Drift Club has been organising drift events way longer than the Sun-Pros group of Japan and its D1 Corp.

My view: I prefered Wheels. It suited me better, i was surrounded by my friends and we had a great laugh.. If lots of people actually did turn up it might of been a differant story with big waiting times and lots of accidents but as it went, it was the best drift event ever. The track surface sucks, but the challenge and danger that came with it brought out the best of the drivers, and you simply had to make the best of the track.

Silverstone would be alot better if there was enough track time. 44+ entrants meant that ques were massive and you simply werent out on the track long enough to get to grips with it. This needs to be addressed still IMHO, the cars need to be driving around the circuit constantly, no stopping. Then, the UKD1 event would be alot of fun also, and its especially challenging for me but i just had alot more fun at wheels. Thats the simple fact of the matter.

Paz

Rides
    I agree with Phil. It shouldnt be a competition between events, different things suit different people and at the mo drifters are lucky to even have these days set up for them as the sport is still only in it's early stages. Just enjoy them don't try and bring out negative aspects cos it ruins the fun of them

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drift Bitch
    I agree with Phil. It shouldnt be a competition between events, different things suit different people and at the mo drifters are lucky to even have these days set up for them as the sport is still only in it's early stages. Just enjoy them don't try and bring out negative aspects cos it ruins the fun of them
    Agreed.. what we need are MORE events... MORE fun, MORE drivers and heck I need MORE money to get my car into shape and so I can attend more events

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMorrison
    Normally I would just delete this post and give you a warning, as the previous thread was closed with a very polite and valid explantion.. There are ways to ask questions without pissing off moderators, The PM button would have done fine.. But as you are particulally interested in my opinion and you have pissed me off with your attitude here you go:

Phil
    Phil as a moderator I find your post a little strong worded not to mention your language. Kids read this too. Some valid points can be made out of this discussion and I think that it was wrong to cut off the first thread as you 'personally' felt it wasn't right.

I have been watching this thread with interest. I'm sure that you will find that the main issue here(i think)is promoting drifting in the UK in harmony. Lets face it the sport isn't even a sport yet. It's a bunch of guys sliding their cars around corners. Given time it WILL develop into a sport with the correct backing and organisation. Fragmentation at such an early stage in detrimental for the 'sports' development. Things could/can be learned from the event at Birmingham and perhaps put into practice at Silverstone and vice versa (not forgetting Scotland too, we can learn from there too). Who knows we might have a proper national championship should all the organisors all work together for a common goal.

Gaz.

Rides
    I didnt go to this event as i thought it was a Hoax... i am gutted to find out that it wasnt... More in the way that i didnt go rather than ot wanting to be a hoax... Errrr You know what i mean... I dont know what Birmingham wheels was like but it sounded RAW... As said the event was made better by the crowds being close to the action... I was at the D1GP In LA... and I must be honest it was a pretty small arena... Just a reasonably small oval... But none the less VERY Exciting... I think that Option have done a great job in organizing the events but... They seem to be taking it away from its roots... And thats fun... I know that its mainly down to silverstone but it used to be pretty cheap to get into.. now its race suits, helmets.. And yes i know its for saftey but... What do i know... if it progresses the drifting to new heights then i will welcome it...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drift Bitch
    and option are UKD1 and are working hard to promote it professionally ,lets not get confused with a Drift Day/comp or a whole season at silverstone (i am)

Rides
    Phil, I appologise for 'p***ing you off' as you say. It was not my intention and I would now like to thank you for allowing the post to go ahead. I am very interested by all the views of the other people that have replied. However I think Gazmo1 has a valid point and that the use of foul language by a moderator is unneccesary. Also I did say earlier if you wanted me to pm you my phone number so we could actually talk I would do. Or maybe at the next OPT drift event we could actually meet up and discuss the matter?

Rides
    WTF, 2 drift events in one weekend, and your moaning. Which is better than the other, are you's sure. Just enjoy 'em, simple. I remember reading about people jumping up and down because this country had an established D1 series. Couple of other practice venues coming together, class.

Take each event for what it is. Sounds like the whole scene is coming together well over here so be supportive not destructive.

Glen

Rides
    cost you a tenner to speak to phil at a D1 or £75 if your going to compete (pit pass),cheaper to stick to pm