Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1617

Thread: Oil Advice And Recommendations Here

  1. #1561
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Is it making any funny noises or locking up more than you'd want?

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  2. #1562
    Guest Oreos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    299
    Rides
    0
    Not particularly Tim, sounds normal and feels fine to me. I noticed a few spots on the driveway at my mums place before I moved. Need to get it rebuilt I think.

  3. #1563
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Okay, if it's not making noises or not behaving properly, then the oil should be fine for it.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  4. #1564
    Guest
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Totnes, Devon
    Posts
    408
    Rides
    0
    What's the best of the best engine oil for diesels? Is it the same stuff as for our nissans or is there any specific diesel oils? Also is there any point in running high quality oils in a standard coal burner or does it all just soot up and make no odds? I've got a 07 Audi 2.0tdi 170bhp and would like to do a engine and gearbox change, any specific specs it needs to meet for the dpf?

  5. #1565
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Hi

    Sorry for the delay, I've only just seen the post.

    Has your car got a diesel particulate filter?

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  6. #1566
    Guest
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Totnes, Devon
    Posts
    408
    Rides
    0
    Yea it's the 170 dpf one

  7. #1567
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Hi

    With the DPF, you need an oil that meets the VW507.00 spec.

    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-754-vw-50700-oil.aspx

    They are all good oils, so make your decision based on any brand/price preference you have.

    If you want to go for the best, there is the Fuchs Titan Race Pro C3

    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-89826-fu...ngine-oil.aspx

    It's not suitable for longlife servicing, but is the best option for annual changes.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  8. #1568
    Guest CrazySx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Isleworth/Harrow
    Posts
    5,045
    Rides
    0
    Hi Simon, I have a question about the longevity of oil. I currently have castrol edge 5/40 in my 2000 s14a. It's been in there since April 2015. Since putting it in I have only done 1500 miles and the car has been sitting for most of that time doing nothing with the occasional start up. So my question is, does the oil degrade over time as well as use, or is it still ok?

    I have a can of fuchs titan pro s waiting to go in, and with winter upon us I want the best possible protection for my engine. However if it's not required then I don't want to waste what's in there. But I need reassurance from someone who knows their stuff lol!

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  9. #1569
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Hi

    That is a bit of a tricky one. The Castrol is a long life oil in certain cars (mainly German stuff), but the S14a is not supposed to have long life servicing. I know it's not covered a lot of miles, but being exposed to air for 18 months, there is going to be oxidisation of some of the additives in the oil, so it will not be as effective as it previously was. If it's going to just get gentle use, then it will be fine, but for hard use, swap over to the Pro S.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  10. #1570
    Guest CrazySx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Isleworth/Harrow
    Posts
    5,045
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    Hi

    That is a bit of a tricky one. The Castrol is a long life oil in certain cars (mainly German stuff), but the S14a is not supposed to have long life servicing. I know it's not covered a lot of miles, but being exposed to air for 18 months, there is going to be oxidisation of some of the additives in the oil, so it will not be as effective as it previously was. If it's going to just get gentle use, then it will be fine, but for hard use, swap over to the Pro S.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Thanks Simon! I was going to do the oil change yesterday but days are short and weather is crap lol!

    Can you please explain a little more about oxidisation? I was looking everywhere for info on the degradation of oil sitting in an engine and didn't find much. Does the oil absorb water? Sounds silly now I say it out loud hahahaha!

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  11. #1571
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Hi

    Once you have opened a can of oil and either left it in the garage or put it in the car, the oil is in contact with the air and the additives in the oil (not the actual oil itself) react with the oxygen, depleting the additive levels. The actual oil is still fine, so you can use opened cans of oil for top ups, but once oil has been exposed to air for a while, it will not be as effective as new oil.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  12. #1572
    Guest CrazySx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Isleworth/Harrow
    Posts
    5,045
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    Hi

    Once you have opened a can of oil and either left it in the garage or put it in the car, the oil is in contact with the air and the additives in the oil (not the actual oil itself) react with the oxygen, depleting the additive levels. The actual oil is still fine, so you can use opened cans of oil for top ups, but once oil has been exposed to air for a while, it will not be as effective as new oil.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Hi Tim,

    Based on the above, what is the average shelf life of the oil in question:

    A) unopened in can
    B) in opened can
    C) in engine?

  13. #1573
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    1) Years and years, probably about 10, just give it a shake as the additives can settle out.
    2) 2-3 years, depending on the oil.
    3) 1-2 years, depending on the oil and car.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  14. #1574
    Guest CrazySx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Isleworth/Harrow
    Posts
    5,045
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    1) Years and years, probably about 10, just give it a shake as the additives can settle out.
    2) 2-3 years, depending on the oil.
    3) 1-2 years, depending on the oil and car.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Thanks Tim. I will be changing mine the wknd weather permitting

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  15. #1575
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    london
    Posts
    257
    Rides
    0
    How much LSD oil and what would you recommend
    Oilman- Would appreciate your assistance. I'll be fitting my well used Cusco RS 2 way diff into my daily S14a. It clonked quite a bit when I had it in my old car (slow speeds) and locked up quite aggressively- which was great when drifting but now I'm using my other S14a on the road only,- so want to make the LSD as quiet and smooth as possible. I've read some are using Millers 80w140 LSD oil. How much diff oil is required to carry out a full change and what would you recommend? Could you also provide price shipped.

    Thanks

    Max

  16. #1576
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Hi Max

    I would use a 75w-140 LSD oil and the Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip, Gulf Gear LS, Red Line 75w-140 GL5, Fuchs Sintopoid LS, Motul Gear Competition and Millers CRX NT LS are good options.

    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-674-75w-140-gear-oils.aspx

    As you want to tone the diff down a bit, I would add a little drop of the Red Line Friction Modifier.

    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6320-red...-additive.aspx

    That will make the diff less aggressive.

    You get 10% off the website prices with the code SXOC and standard delivery will be £4.99 for a couple of bottles.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  17. #1577
    Guest CrazySx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Isleworth/Harrow
    Posts
    5,045
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    Hi Max

    I would use a 75w-140 LSD oil and the Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip, Gulf Gear LS, Red Line 75w-140 GL5, Fuchs Sintopoid LS, Motul Gear Competition and Millers CRX NT LS are good options.

    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-674-75w-140-gear-oils.aspx

    As you want to tone the diff down a bit, I would add a little drop of the Red Line Friction Modifier.

    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6320-red...-additive.aspx

    That will make the diff less aggressive.

    You get 10% off the website prices with the code SXOC and standard delivery will be £4.99 for a couple of bottles.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Does the same apply for a standard diff? I have redline mt90 for the gearbox but not sure what to put in the diff.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  18. #1578
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    london
    Posts
    257
    Rides
    0
    Thanks Simon for your response and recommendation. You have given quite a bit of choice there. To narrow it down if your diff which is the best value/performance LSD oil would you go for and how much do I need to get. I'll also go with the redline friction modifer. Is this compatible with non Redline oils? You stated add a little drop- could you please confirm how much is a little drop?
    Last edited by screaminsilvia1; 24-11-2016 at 21:29.

  19. #1579
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Does the same apply for a standard diff? I have redline mt90 for the gearbox but not sure what to put in the diff.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    The standard diff needs a 75w-90 GL5 oil.

    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-...ion-fluid.aspx

    The Fuchs Syn 5, Millers CRX, Red Line 75w-90 GL5, Motul Gear 300 and Gulf Competition are ideal for the diff. The Fuchs Sintopoid, Castrol Syntrax Longlife, Millers TRX, Motul Motylgear, Mobil SHC and Gulf Syngear are also good choices.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


  20. #1580
    Trader oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,070
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminsilvia1 View Post
    Thanks Simon for your response and recommendation. You have given quite a bit of choice there. To narrow it down if your diff which is the best value/performance LSD oil would you go for and how much do I need to get. I'll also go with the redline friction modifer. Is this compatible with non Redline oils? You stated add a little drop- could you please confirm how much is a little drop?
    Hi

    Probably the best one for the money is the Gulf Competition, but in fairness, there is little difference in price between all of the ones I mentioned.

    Yes, you can use the Friction Modifier with any of the oils. The bottle is 118ml, so add 30ml and see if that improves how the diff. If that's good, no need to add any more. If the diff is still to aggressive, add another 30ml and so on. Don't add too much though as it will lead to the diff not locking at all.

    Cheers

    Tim
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •