Thread: Tyre Noise & New Venues: question

Rides

Tyre Noise & New Venues: question

Many venues have a major problem with tyre noise & it's going to restrict the number of venues we can use.

I have found a solution & I wanted your opinions.

Gravel Rally tyres have been suggested to me, they are relatively cheap at £35-50 each new & would last several events (Ebay always has part worn ones going cheap). They also slide about very easily so add to the fun. It would mean running standard diameters & for those running low profiles at the moment these tyres have re-inforced sidewalls to counter the normal high profile issues.

Is this is good price to pay for use of new venues & continued use of existing ones?

Rides
    Have you tried a set to see if they really are quieter, and if they really do last OK?

I've used a couple of sets of knobly tyres on an autocross car I ran a few years back. Just a Fiesta, but it got through a couple of sets just running a few events on grass/mud. I'd have thought the ones I used would fall appart in seconds with enthusiastic tarmac use.

Interesting idea mind...

Rides
    I'd definately go for that.

Supercheap part worn rally tyres....

Rides
    I would do it, if it meant we could try different places, although it might be hassle sourcing them and fitting them.

Rides
    Nope not for me. Dont think you would learn much, would just end up being a piss around.

I also have no movement in tyre size from 255/40/17 as thats what I need to run. Well maybe I could get wider ones lol.

Rides
    The question was would you consider it if it meant the use of venues or not. You would learn lots I guarantee it as the techniques are just the same it just all happen at lower g-forces & power levels, so you have to be smooth.

I am currently arranging a set to try out for Friday's event.

Rides
    Do you menan a grass event?

Fine for beginners I think but not much use to those that have drifted at high speeds on tarmac.

Well worth a go though.

As for use on tarmac, I dont know if the tyres would last TBH. I cant see them withstanding the heat thats produced.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    No this relates to Tarmac Venues only, its a way of reducing the tyre noise without reducing the sliding aspect.

The grass venues is something else I would lilke to try out but using normal road tyres, a bit like driving in the snow I can well imagine.
    Last edited by cptsideways; 06-07-2004 at 16:48.

West Bromwich Drives: Anything I can get! Loves: TURBOS!
    Rides
    cpt... how do the mazda 323's slide ?

they go well ?

what adjustments to the setup to u suggest ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cptsideways
    The grass venues is something else I would lilke to try out but using normal road tyres, a bit like driving in the snow I can well imagine.
    Driving on firm grass is just like driving on slightly grippier snow. You can drift round in perfect powerside-circles at about 1500rpm at walking pace!

From my autocross experience, the problem with a grass event would be the ground disintegrating very rapidly. Ruts appear in no time, and after a typical day long event it was possible to beach your car in the deepest trenches. Ruts are good at flipping cars over if they hit wrong too. Rutted ground is exceptionally hard on cars. My Fiesta (which had a proper cage etc) ended up with the bodyshell twisted enough that the doors didn't shut properly. That's just from bouncing over the ground, not from any collisions or incidents!

Grass events would have virtually no tyre noise of course. You may be able to find farmers that are happy to rent out a field for little money too. That's how most autocross events find a venue.

Rides
    Good thinking. I think that it would be great to get to drift some different venues, but.....
    The reduced speeds would put the pro's off ( so not me then ), and if the rain came down it could get a bit slippy for some decent drifts. I had some part worn gravel rally tires on a mk2 fiesta 1litre, only on the back and that would drift in the wet!!!

I would be interested though I neeeeeeeeed more practice.

Rides
    I guess it all depends on the wear rate. I'm 100% for reducing noise, car strain (and grip, since I'm new to this ) but if the tyres wear out faster than normal ones then I'm simply not going to be able to afford to buy them.

Do you have any idea on the wear rates?