PDA

View Full Version : Roxio pop up window.

J595HAS
23-11-2001, 23:29
Since fitting my HP CD writer I am now welcomed by an annoying bl**dy pop up window to connect to the net for a Roxio upgrade every time I switch my PC on. Anybody else suffering / have suffered / cured this ?. I am due to phone them as I have suffered it 2 months too long !

Amdathlonuk
23-11-2001, 23:35
Goto 'start'- 'run'
and type in 'msconfig'
look in the 'startup' tab for the offending program (you should be able to recognise it via familiar letters or words)
Untick the box and apply.

Reboot.

HTH

------------------
ND Actuator,K+N 57i,Cold Plugs,Dump Valve,ND Stage 1 Chip,Dash mounted boost gauge,Headlight/sidelight conversion,17" League Tantrums,H&R 35mm drop springs

Pioneer FHP6600R
Kef 10" subs
JVC 6x9 front doors

What the hell...it's only money!!

J595HAS
24-11-2001, 00:18
Its comin up it cant find the library or one of the files http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/frown.gif . Cheers anyway

Amdathlonuk
24-11-2001, 01:01
The other option is, open the program and look under 'options' or 'preferences' if there is one.
There may well be an option of ' automatically look for upgrade when I connect to the internet' or something like that.

A lot of my programs used to do it.

good luck.

J595HAS
24-11-2001, 01:15
It does it automatically when I log in. I have tried browsing around but cant see anything. Also task manager shows nothing though the window is still displayed. I have a feelin this will be a long one.

dave mca
24-11-2001, 12:05
goto start/programs/accesories/system tools/system information/ CLICK "tools" CLICK "system configuration utility" , CLICK "start up"

All the irritating little bods that start up automatically when you dont want them to are in there. Like Amd said look for the ticked box that resembles the program you want to disable and untick it and probably restart.

By the sounds of it you`ve told it ,it can search automatically for updates on start up but it cant because you havent ticked the box in your pop up Dial up window that says "automatically connect". If you HAD it would not only pop up but automatically dial up, check for updates and download them or close.
Do you want it to do that? If not turn it off in its settings.

Anything that does what your describing is always an "option". So go through all the offending programs settings/preferences/options etc until you find the option and click that you do not want this check for updates.

You most probably asked for this when instaling. If no luck uninstal ,reinstal and pay close attention to the questions it asks. These f*ckers set up all sorts of b0ll0cks that you dont want.But they usually ask you it all on instalation.

Hope this helps but i am a bubble head so it probably wont. I`ll get my coat...
http://www.nissanmotorsport.co.uk

[This message has been edited by dave mca (edited 24-11-2001).]

BigMac
24-11-2001, 14:50
what operating system are you running? and when did you install the software?

i deal with this type of problem day to day so dont worry, i'll have a fix for you

Ian.

Richy_Boy
24-11-2001, 19:59
You can also have a line entered in you win.ini file and some others too.. pain in the ar$e!!

------------------
Rich
Fed up with everyone having longer Sigs...
'91 Graphite Grey S13
ND200,SAAB IC,Jez Stage 1,300ZX Discs/Calipers
Coming soon: ProjectX (Wait for RR2 for details :) )

J595HAS
25-11-2001, 00:04
I am running Win2000 pro and still no luck, I followed your stuff Dave and it all looked good until I hit "tools" the only option I had was "windows" which then led to the following choices, Disk clean up, Doctor Watson, Direct X diagnostic tool,Hardware wizard, Network connections, Back up,File signature verifacation utility,Update wizard uninstall and Windows report tool. Heeeeelp!!

dave mca
25-11-2001, 16:01
sorry mate i`ve got win98se.
found this , try this

Windows 2000

How to stop a process from starting up automatically?

How to stop a process from starting up automatically? Anthony Pham 08/10/01
Checking the Startup menu is not enough. Excellent method t... Toma Bussarov 08/15/01
Open Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micros... Frank V 08/10/01

Post new message in this thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 10, 2001 05:57 PM
Author: Anthony Pham (ducvinh@yahoo.com)
Subject: How to stop a process from starting up automatically?

Everytime my windows 2000 reboot, an application process is automatically started up. I've checked the Startup menu in Start/Programs. It does not present there. How can I stop this process from starting up automatically after every boot?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 15, 2001 03:20 AM
Author: Toma Bussarov (toma_bussarov@hotmail.com)

Checking the Startup menu is not enough. Excellent method to find autostarting program is to use SysInternals (www.sysinternals.com) tool called AutoRuns. When you start AutoRuns it will show all autostarting apps (You'll see that there is many registry keys for automaticaly starting given application).

This application might also be autostarting service. These are not shown by AutoRuns. You need to check items in your Services control panel applet. Choosing properties for given service you'll see full path to executable file and startup type - Automatic to start every time the OS starts.

Hope this will help.

Date: August 10, 2001 11:50 PM
Author: Frank V (frgv234@hotmail.com)

Open Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run then delete the string referencing the App you do not want to start automatically. If it is a service that is starting and not an App like above, then you must stop the service from starting automatically. To do this, start>settings>control panel>administrative tools>Services, double click on the service, and change the Startup type to Disabled

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/professional/help/accessmgr_autostart.htm

[This message has been edited by dave mca (edited 25-11-2001).]

J595HAS
26-11-2001, 00:05
Cheers Guys for all your help, I followed that stuff on the end of your last post Dave. It still came up on reboot, but the URL it gives when you pass the cursor over has changed from .roxio/hp-cd/ bla bla to just .roxio.com. I have went back in to the Regedit and done a search for roxio and deleted another two files. I hope this works, find out on next boot up. I dont use any roxio stuff anyway, it's Adaptec software I use so it shouldn't do any harm. Cheers again Guy's! http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

beavertron
27-11-2001, 15:00
Roxio - they make Easy CD Creator5 so go into that program - obviously came wit your cd writer and untick bit about auto upgrade - job dun http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Black s13 (That`ll be a MANUAL)
BD Combi Brake Disks
Norris Boost Guage
K+N 56i Induction
Chassis Dynamic Springs
Mongoooooose barrrp

beavertron
27-11-2001, 15:04
p.s. forget all that other s**t that people have told u unless u wanna cause more grief.
Just open Easy CD Creator program and find the box to untick about auto web updates etc

------------------
BD Combi Brake Disks
Norris Boost Guage
K+N 56i Induction
Chassis Dynamic Springs
Mongoooooose barrrp

J595HAS
27-11-2001, 23:21
Uninstalled all CD writer stuff, I am going to re install tomorrow and see if there was maybe an option I left ticked on 1st install. Sad thing is I did a full format last month as I was getting the occasional windows error and it wouldnt always shut down properly. Still that was Win98, onto 2000pro now!

J595HAS
30-11-2001, 22:01
Alright Folks, Did the re-install and did not get any options on the install. And surprise surprise my pop up window is back!.
The software supplied and installed is HP MyCD and Adaptec CD Wizard. I have went thru every file on the folder I installed it all to and cant find anything relating / containing Roxio ?. I did find quite a few unknown applications but as when the window pops up nothing appears running in the task manager, so I am assuming this pest is not an application.

Now where did I put that razor blade!

beavertron
01-12-2001, 03:03
ok, run, regedit, search for anything roxio and delete.

------------------
BD Combi Brake Disks
Norris Boost Guage
K+N 56i Induction
Chassis Dynamic Springs
Mongoooooose barrrp

J595HAS
02-12-2001, 00:06
Beavertron, Ive been going mental all day and night since I got your post, I got one thing to come up on the search and I deleted it but the pop up appeared again on reboot. As I was so p****d off I went on a delete frenzy http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif on some of these " unknown applications " and eventually have cleared it. The file I have deleted is CDUDF.sys. Anyone know if this will bug**r things up. I have used my writer to make a data CD and it worked okay. What have I deleted ???

beavertron
02-12-2001, 02:25
sure u got no direct cd on there? removing that file MAY shag one of your cd writing programs but if they r working then i guess not. basicaly roxio make easy cd creator, goback, jam, toast, videopack, winoncd. check you havent got one of those on there somewhere.

------------------
BD Combi Brake Disks
Norris Boost Guage
K+N 56i Induction
Chassis Dynamic Springs
Mongoooooose barrrp

J595HAS
02-12-2001, 14:52
Possibly I do / did have Easy CD creator and Hewlett Packard have just named it HP MyCD passing it off as there own software. I have successfully written a data disc only. What I have noticed is that an icon for Adaptec down in the bottom R/H corner has now disappeared. I had never used it anyway ??? I cant find any reference to Roxio anywhere and figured it must be hidden in an application. Also the window does still pop up, but only for split second and goes away automatically. The thing that gets me is there is a tick box on the window - Tick here not to show this box again. I had a pound for evertime I ticked the bl***y thing I'd have an S14a http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

Spiro_Pope
02-12-2001, 15:11
adaptec = nasty. I suggest you try Nero Burning Rom. A far more stable bit of software.

Jezz_S13
02-12-2001, 15:30
Yup have to agree Nero is the dogs danglies.

Adaptec is better I thing for doing multisession stuff IMHO, but face it how often do you do that?

That Direct CD shyte should be avoided at all costs though!!

Get Nero 5.5(legitamately) from http://www.ahead.de then crack it from the not so legit site http://astalavista.box.sk

Jezz.

beavertron
03-12-2001, 00:56
yup - nero definately better also fireburner a goodun.
I think adaptec and roxio are associated with easycdcreator. roxio remodelled the adaptec version.
Doesnt sound like you got rid of it too well though mate. search for adaptec in registry and del any obvious "easy cd" etc folders.

check in add/remove programs for any of your cd software and remove then put nero on.

------------------
BD Combi Brake Disks
Norris Boost Guage
K+N 56i Induction
Chassis Dynamic Springs
Mongoooooose barrrp

J595HAS
03-12-2001, 23:51
I got an error looking for that file I deleted ( oops! ). Anyway I restored it and guess what, it worked and ..............Its back, my beloved pop up. Not only have Roxio remodeled Easy CD, they have remodeled my f***ing P.C !. Shower of w***s!. What am I going to do now ?.