PDA

View Full Version : Builders anyone

turbo pete
05-11-2001, 20:36
Anyone know anything about plastering.

I have a rough uneven wall in a semi subterranean pantry/cellar. i want to convert it into an office.

Ideas so far.

Scratch coat.
Thermal boards with damp proof backing.

Got no idea how to do it all though.

Anyone help?

Turbo pete

Cayman
05-11-2001, 21:17
Are the walls damp ? If so you will need some form of tanking otherwise the plaster will fall off. What about the floor, assume concrete, but might need dampcourse, polythene and screed.

If the walls are brick and sound can you not leave as is ?

There was several compounds available for this type of work a few years ago, probably still around. Find a good builders merchants and ask them.

Cayman

RichardM
06-11-2001, 09:02
Coincedence eh!

I'm a Building Surveyor, This is going to depend on how good (how long lasting) a job you want to do.

If its damp to begin with, and if its below ground level it is likely to be so even if it doesn't visualy appear to be, have you got a friend with (or access to)a Protimeter? just to check it out and see what areas are "damper" than others.

Cayman is generaly correct in that for a 100% job you would need to tank the walls and the floor, full two coat asphalt is more than a tad expensive and probably overkill. A bitumen brush on compound would be a cheaper alternative.

A cement render on top, with a hard finishing coat would do the job.

Yes you could use wallboard but it wouldn't be "100%" in fact it is unlikely to anywhere near, and you shouldn't forget the floor.

Remember maintaining ventilation is critical to carry away moisture, and keep the room heated.

This is a very general, short form answer if you want to know more drop me an email.

Stuymac
06-11-2001, 09:19
Originally posted by turbo pete:
Anyone know anything about plastering.

.........Get a crate of Stella in - gaurenteed to get you well plastered http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Stu

1990 Red S13, with a few little mods.

Soon to Have new Engine http://forums.civfanatics.com/ubb/groucho-marx.gif

Leon
27-12-2003, 16:08
talk to Rude Dog :thumbs:

Jim
27-12-2003, 16:10
Stazza I think that I could have plastered the wall in two years, are you going through the archives again???

Leon
27-12-2003, 16:11
oops

sorry

got a bit carried away :( don't shout at me...

Jim
27-12-2003, 16:50
Me shout?

Quiet as a church mouse I am :p

Rude Dog
27-12-2003, 16:51
He's bored, he admitted it earlier

Leon
27-12-2003, 16:52
but hey mr Rude, a :Plug: for yooooo

Rude Dog
27-12-2003, 17:13
No complaints there mate but I think my names mud around these here parts at the moment:D

Leon
27-12-2003, 17:15
Originally posted by Rude Dog
No complaints there mate but I think my names mud around these here parts at the moment:D

why? you been weeing on lampposts/forum soft furnishings again?

Jim
27-12-2003, 17:24

Why, what have you done?

Dave_S
27-12-2003, 17:38
He shouted about Akimofo too much :D

Dave

Rude Dog
27-12-2003, 17:40
Originally posted by Little_Jim
Why, what have you done?
Check out my signature avatar location etc etc and the posts that Nismo Mark insists on closing behind me despite the fact other mods have let them run for fun (including I believe Mr Carter and Keith C who saw them last night) despite the fact I am a fully paid up member and am entitled to post dross if not offensive or intimidating, which it wasnt:furious: Who moderates the moderators???

Rude Dog
27-12-2003, 17:41
Originally posted by Dave_S
He shouted about Akimofo too much :D

Dave
But at Ngho point asked for his re instatement. Wheres the harm in a little fun and verbal sparring?

Aitch
27-12-2003, 18:42
But at Ngho point asked for his re instatement. Wheres the harm in a little fun and verbal sparring?

I can't see the harm in that - surely it's what a public forum is all about, isn't it?:confused: :confused:

TomM
28-12-2003, 02:25
We've got rules governing the traders & general posting behaviour... what next? ;)

Martin T
28-12-2003, 02:38
Check out my signature avatar location etc etc and the posts that Nismo Mark insists on closing behind me despite the fact other mods have let them run for fun (including I believe Mr Carter and Keith C who saw them last night) despite the fact I am a fully paid up member and am entitled to post dross if not offensive or intimidating, which it wasnt:furious: Who moderates the moderators???

Dont think anyone really has a problem with you. We can all have a difference of opinion here and not hate each other as a result. (I mean we had a difference of opinion on the croozing thread, but I won't hold that aginst you ;) :D )The reason the Akimoto threads are being closed are most likely because of this

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40739

The problem with Akimoto is that he annoyed too many people, and deliberately went out to annoy people amongst his other failings (racist homophobic etc)
The fact that he was funny is no odds. Just because a person has redeeming qualities does not excuse their bad behaviour or whatever. I also found him funny at times, but that doesn't mean I dont think he was a cock.
i.e. it doesn't matter if a few or even half of the board want him to stay. The fact that he has brocken board rules on several occasions and deliberately tried to piss off board members pretty much guarenteed him a banning eventually.
The fact that he is banned and will not be allowed back under any circumstances makes any thread to bring him back shite:thumbs: ;)

TomM
28-12-2003, 02:56
Originally posted by Keith_C
If you're a paid member and you want to post toss, feel free, but inane crap from all and sundry is going to be deleted.
MartinT: you're confusing two issues; that of why Akimoto was banned, and that of why various threads about him have been closed.

There have been various explanations floated for why he was banned. He wasn't banned in the past for repeated 'offensive' posts (racist, homophobic) - he was given another chance. It has been suggested that he was banned for PMs threatening other members, but no real suggestion of what or who has been given, and it seems to have been forgotten that he is a fake, false, deeply ironic character. The crux of it seems to be that he's pissed off the mods too much, and I must have missed the sub-law that justifies that as a reason for being banned. :rolleyes:

The closure of certain threads (with Nismo Mark posting "shite" a la Keith :D ) is even more confusing. I thought that non-200 was the forum for posting random stuff, especially when some of the participants (eg Rude Dog) are fully paid-up members. Is the crime here having a laugh about a subject the mods seem to be a bit touchy on? How dare people indulge in humour! Shame on people for dealing in irony! Stick to knock-knock jokes, I say, what :wack:

Martin T
28-12-2003, 03:05
Originally posted by Tombs
MartinT: you're confusing two issues; that of why Akimoto was banned, and that of why various threads about him have been closed.

There have been various explanations floated for why he was banned. He wasn't banned in the past for repeated 'offensive' posts (racist, homophobic) - he was given another chance. It has been suggested that he was banned for PMs threatening other members, but no real suggestion of what or who has been given, and it seems to have been forgotten that he is a fake, false, deeply ironic character. The crux of it seems to be that he's pissed off the mods too much, and I must have missed the sub-law that justifies that as a reason for being banned. :rolleyes:

So you say a person that sends threatening pm's makes recist and homophobic remarks insults other board members etc should be allowed because he's ironic?:rolleyes:
Just because he got away with it once doesn't mean its ok and not bannable.

The closure of certain threads (with Nismo Mark posting "shite" a la Keith :D ) is even more confusing. I thought that non-200 was the forum for posting random stuff, especially when some of the participants (eg Rude Dog) are fully paid-up members. Is the crime here having a laugh about a subject the mods seem to be a bit touchy on? How dare people indulge in humour! Shame on people for dealing in irony! Stick to knock-knock jokes, I say, what :wack:
There's humour and shite. I suppose there's even amusing shite. The "bring Akimoto back" threads were both counter productive and not amusing, therefore under the privisos of the link in the above posts, they were closed as shite.

TomM
28-12-2003, 03:21
Originally posted by Martin T
So you say a person that sends threatening pm's makes recist and homophobic remarks insults other board members etc should be allowed because he's ironic?:rolleyes:
Just because he got away with it once doesn't mean its ok and not bannable.Read my post again - I didn't say that.
The fact that he's fake and ironic --an entirely made up persona, manufactured for humour-- means that any 'threats' made should have been taken with a big pinch of salt. :)
As for his earlier misdemeanors, he probably shouldn't have been given another chance after posting various racist/homophobic remarks, as this would breach the rules.
The point is the lack of consistency and transparency shown in this case - forgiving things that he should have been banned for, then banning him for... er... I'm not entirely sure.

Originally posted by Martin T
There's humour and shite. I suppose there's even amusing shite. The "bring Akimoto back" threads were both counter productive and not amusing, therefore under the privisos of the link in the above posts, they were closed as shite.
That doesn't hold up: the threads weren't 'bring Akimoto back' threads at all - at least, none that I've read or been involved in. They began as people asking why he'd been banned, and subsequently it was just a few people having a little fun about the whole affair.

Leon
28-12-2003, 09:44
back to the topic in hand...