PDA

View Full Version : Consensus?

Don_200SX
02-11-2001, 21:10
Just wandering, what are peoples thoughts on the brave people who through time have given their life to allow us to lead our life as it is? i guess i`m leaving myself massively open to abuse....but does that say something about me or you...??

andyf
02-11-2001, 22:32
Sorry, not answering that question - instead I just noticed your profile said army pilot. I was at Tesco the other day and saw a few squaddies walking around getting various snacks. As I was driving out I gave way to a car - 4 squaddies packed into a Citroen AX. It was a bit of a tight fit to say the least!

bond_200
03-11-2001, 07:50
Deepest respect for them, seeing as both my grandparents fought in second world war - one was in the forgotten army.

Americans do think that theu rule the world though, when they have no fighting/tactical skill - just hoooge feckin numbers of them.

Paul_Ralph
03-11-2001, 08:08
served 12 years myself ..got fed up after the Gulf and 2 years solid in N.I ..LOL

Plus some bastard blew me Up ...HeHeHe http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/frown.gif

Nathan_200sx
03-11-2001, 08:45
Im proud of them and our countries history. And what about the bbc baning staff from wearing poppies !!! who are these people, they should be deported.
I visited the war grave cemetry in Crete this year, looking at the ages of those that fell were mainly between 19 and 24. I felt a real sence of sadness, then pride that they were willing to and did die for freedom. The Islanders will never forget the help we gave along with the Australians and those from NZ to try to free there Island. shame this country just doesnt seem to give a toss anymore.
Oh and my ol gramps was in the royal marines never heard any stories though, he refused to talk about it.
anyway here's some pics I took this year, might just make you think.
http://www.300zx.co.uk/200sx/rides/nathan_200sx/pict0078.jpg

http://www.300zx.co.uk/200sx/rides/nathan_200sx/pict0077.jpg

------------------
Nathan
Red S13 Mongoose, K&N T3 280ish BHP
Quick!!! Act as if nothing has happend!

Don_200SX
03-11-2001, 10:14
thnaks guys. you probably guessed i was hammered last night and had just watched band of brothers and with the 11th coming up just wondered what ppl thought.who were u with paul?

Richy_Boy
03-11-2001, 10:24
Wow. Amazing how pictures say much more than any words. http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/frown.gif

Keep chins alofted boys..

I (although not on the same level) was a long serving member of the ATC (Air Training Corps), and although a more social thing, made a huge impact on how I feel about the services and what people have/are done/doing for us.
Rememberance days were always respected and brought great sadness and pride to us. Shame as time goes on, these WW2 soldiers are not in their numbers anymore, and so are forgotten.

http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Rich
Fed up with everyone having longer Sigs...
'91 Graphite Grey S13
ND200 + SAAB IC + Jez Stage 1
Coming soon: ProjectX (Wait for RR2 for details :) )

Dodger
03-11-2001, 10:32
I've worked closely with Army, RAF and Navy people for more than 20 years. I've been all over the world, and in all sorts of odd situations, with them and I have nothing but admiration for the lot of them. I can honestly say that I've never met a service person I didn't get on with (even the ones who some had rather baffling outlooks on life - which were often explained by circumstances). A way to find out whether you have any sympathy for these people is to go to the Menin Gate at Ypres and begin reading the tens of thousands of names inscribed there and listen to the Ypres firemen play the Last Post every night. I guarantee you will care.
And it's a similar feeling you'll get from visiting any war cemetery in Europe - even the German ones fill you with something. They have black stone plaques laid on the grass rather than crosses...and some say things like "The remains of five German soldiers". No names no nothing because they were put there in pieces and nobody knows who they were.
And when you see end results like that - and vividly real things like Band of Brothers - you have to wonder what it is makes people want to serve. I think we should all be bloody glad that they do.

[This message has been edited by Dodger (edited 03-11-2001).]

Don_200SX
03-11-2001, 11:22
we took all the lads on a battlefield tour to france this year. i think its essential for people to remember. my most vivid memory is belsen,just large mounds with a number on eg.50000(!!)wildlife wont go near it so its soooo quiet. theres a museum there now. incredible what goes on, and still is. ive done 3 bosnia tours and the sh!t that went on there.....

Dodger
03-11-2001, 21:21
I've had the Bosnia (twice)and Kosovo and Macedonia refugee experiences as well. Was with KOYLI on the day they went to stop a Serb v Muslim firefight near Jajce and saw - from a safe distance - the lead Warriors putting 30mm and 7.62 rounds into a Serb position that fired on them. (Two Serbs dead). The guys in the Warriors were very calm about the whole thing and didn't discuss it among themselves until next day. Stuff like that must be SO affecting when you're pulling the trigger or giving the order to somebody else to do it at the same time as waiting for the RPG round to smack a red hot hole into your vehicle and kill you. When you see what the people have to put up with (Army in particular) you do have to wonder how they keep a level head. Some don't of course, but most do but only, I suspect, through real effort. You think journalists' humour is grim until you get in with the squaddies. Like I say, nothing but admiration.

[This message has been edited by Dodger (edited 03-11-2001).]

docwra
05-11-2001, 10:38
I still respect the day - My Grandad was a prisoner of war in Japan (might have been burma, or praps even both ........) and wouldnt talk about it until very recently
Thing is, his stories are among the best I have heard from anyone - he must have suffered so much (went from 14 odd stone to 7 when he came out) - and yet the stories he tells are generally pretty humourous. I think its amazing he can even talk about it.
http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
--------------------
92 200SX, grey
K+N 57i (Im ready for max power now!!)
Bit of ICE, cant be arsed to take the dash off to put more in
Manual, for I have the stick in the middle of my car and in the middle of my legs
Never refuse a challenge!!
gentlemen prefer blondes ......