PDA

View Full Version : Better roads for 200SX drivers!

davidra
02-11-2001, 12:48
I hate driving on roads full of other cars where I'm stuck @40 mph in a queue behind two tractors, an HGV and four Rover 214is... you know what I'm talking about! (A281 Horsham --> Guildford an example)

Could people please suggest some good driving roads in Sussex, Surrey (nr. Guildford / Farnham / Reading) or Kent?

I'm sure you guys have personal favourites that help you unwind (& wind up that turbo)!

I think I can personally contribute by recommending the B2133 as an alternative to the A281, and all the roads around Corfe / Swanage.

dave

Reeph
02-11-2001, 13:50
I don't think this will be doable for you. But I live in Reading (Woodley just off Jnc 10 M4 near the big Showcase Cinema) and there is a lovely set of back roads that take you through Lower Early up to the M4 Jnc 11 roundabout.

Starting from the big roundabout at the lights I drop the clutch at about 4000 (in the dry) and the car squeels and takes off, then I hold off on gear changes until 6000+ if I'm really going for it. One of the stretches is long enough for you to be doing 3-4000 rpm in 5th.

They are A road quality single lane and loads of people with fast cars like to play there. All the people I've nailed and who've nailed me seem to have a nice attitude.

Good luck finding somewhere fun.

------------------
Grant Smith
Blue T 'reg' Manual

The_Boy_Mac
02-11-2001, 14:25
Woah thats scary - im a woodley boy too - big fan of the sandford lane to bracknell roads

Reeph
03-11-2001, 11:41
What does your car look like man so I'll know to tip you a nod.

If you see a Saphire T reg S14 with blue fluffy dice hanging off the mirror that'll be me http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Grant Smith
Blue T 'reg' Manual

Asht_200
03-11-2001, 12:19
Originally posted by Reeph:
What does your car look like man so I'll know to tip you a nod.

If you see a Saphire T reg S14 with blue fluffy dice hanging off the mirror that'll be me http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

Fluffy Dice? http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
200SX 93L. SE Exhaust, Filter, Port Polish, 17" Momo Arrow, Snooper Radar Detector.
Money has been spent on Hi Fi at present.
T28 Hybrid Ordered

Dunk
03-11-2001, 22:43
Originally posted by davidra:
I hate driving on roads full of other cars where I'm stuck @40 mph in a queue behind two tractors, an HGV and four Rover 214is... you know what I'm talking about! (A281 Horsham --> Guildford an example)

Could people please suggest some good driving roads in Sussex, Surrey (nr. Guildford / Farnham / Reading) or Kent?

I'm sure you guys have personal favourites that help you unwind (& wind up that turbo)!

I think I can personally contribute by recommending the B2133 as an alternative to the A281, and all the roads around Corfe / Swanage.

dave

Being from Horsham, and as a sales rep with an s14a, with my sales territory defined as Surrey, Sussex & Kent. I think I can add a few.....

A24 single carriageway section from Horsham to Capel.
Any of the roads over Rusper Hill
A24 Findon Bypass - short but scary
A281 Horsham - Guildford when its clear is fantastic.
A272 - all of it, again when its clear
A??? Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead
A??? Horsham - Brighton via Henfield & Cowfold

And don't forget the mighty Boxhill.

Thats should be enough to keep you amused for a bit

Reeph
04-11-2001, 16:50
I happen to think fluffy dice make a very classy statement.

------------------
Grant Smith
Blue T 'reg' Manual

Cayman
04-11-2001, 19:33
A272 - all of it, again when its clear
A??? Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead

T Wells to EG is also the A272 I think, an awsome road, not done yet in a 200 but it was a regular route in the company Fiat 127 years ago. Thanks for the reminder, might have a blast next weekend.

What about the road from the A24 turn as if going to Chichester / Goodwood, that long long sweeping bend where you can see what is coming miles away.

A23 the S bends just by Bolney, signed at 55, have done them at 90 with ease at 05:00 in the morning. I'm sure you can do 100 at least.

Cayman

Dave_the_B
04-11-2001, 20:11
and all the roads around Corfe / Swanage.

The road from Wimbourne to Cranbourne and the surrounding area

From Verwood to Wimbourne
From Verwood to Fordingbridge
From Dorchester to Bridport
Blandford to Shaftsbury taking in Zig Zag hill
Shaftsbury to Wimbourne via the Horton inn.....Basically all the B-roads in Dorset

But the maddest has to be the Blandford the Salisbury road going past the Ferrari garage,Its like something out of Mad Max only faster http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

Dave

------------------
Grey S13
T28
Evo 6 IC
261bhp @ 16psi
I'm sure it was more last time.....

Dunk
04-11-2001, 20:11
Originally posted by Cayman:

A23 the S bends just by Bolney, signed at 55, have done them at 90 with ease at 05:00 in the morning. I'm sure you can do 100 at least.

Cayman

[/B]

A23 handcross hill northbound to Crawley

200sx - flat out in top
Calibra Turbo - 150ish
675bhp RS500 - 175mph !!
de-restricted M5 - 180mph ULP!!!

Southbound?

about the same I suppose

[This message has been edited by Dunk (edited 04-11-2001).]

davidra
05-11-2001, 10:03
Cheers guys, good hints - I'll be trying some of those roads soon, inc. perhaps the Woodley area!

Dunk, you are a nutter! 150+ on the A23? ..There are often cops there! ;-)

I agree the A281 can be fun after midnight - especially the undulating section (short steep banks in the road, hit 'em at 90 and it feels like a rollercoaster, forcing you up fast then off you go into the air!!).

I also know the A24 single carriageway section, which is a good laugh. The dual carriageway bit on the A24 just north of where it crosses the A272 is good too - looks like an A-road, windy etc. but no worries about things coming the other way. I think this might be what Cayman is talking about. There's just one corner with a tricky camber, all the others are fine for the legal limit (70)+

I would still suggest you use the B2133 over the A281 at busy times. You get lots of overtaking opportunities (its partly an old roman road) and less traffic.

180 on the A23? My god*.

* no religious connotations implied

------------------
Dark blue S13
K&N 57i
Dump valve
TSW Venom Alloys
Leather seats (factory)

Will soon have uprated suspension.

Dunk
05-11-2001, 10:30
Originally posted by davidra:
Dunk, you are a nutter! 150+ on the A23? ..There are often cops there! ;-)

180 on the A23? My god*.

* no religious connotations implied

I was using slightly more choice language. The guy whose car it is, was sitting next to me having a moan cos he didn't think I was giving it its full head of steam!

Cops can't stop you at 150mph. I should know - I cam over the crest of the hill one night around 2am doing 140+ in the cally. There was a T5R marked car sitting in the weighbridge. I kept it floored.

By the time he'd got it in gear and pulled off I would have been nearly 1.5 miles down the road.

Most of the time they let you get on with it. Speak to most traffic cops & they'll tell you the last thing they want is to be caught up in a 150mph chase. Too dangerous for all parties concerned.

Besides - marked cop cars loose 5-10mph off their quoted top end due to the blue light bar and all the weight they lug round.

There - thats bound to wind someone up.

docwra
05-11-2001, 10:45
I got inot a chase with a Police transit while I was driving my Nova (various things on board there shouldnt have been)
I beat it dead easy, but I cant say I held back much ............
My mate spilled the joint he was skinning!

Pol
05-11-2001, 11:42
Not much use to most of you I`m sure, but as I live in Aberdeen an hour drive takes me well out deeside past balmoral and into ..... the highlands, yooohooo, hairpins aplenty! with minimal traffic, just don't ask how much fuel costs.