PDA

View Full Version : What size are the standard door mount speakers.....

NikB
15-01-2002, 12:50
in an S14a. I am looking to buy aftermarket uprated items but don't know what size. If I buy co-axials do I need to disconnect the standard tweeters in the door pillars?

Cheers

Nik

Diddn
15-01-2002, 19:32
6.5 inch (16 cm).
Yes, if you're getting coax's, then I would disconnect the tweets on the pillars, however, I would recommend just getting upgraded mids instead of Coax's. You simply get better definition from a mid without the tweeter pole sticking out the centre of the speaker, unless you get the higher end of the ranges where its a full mid with the tweeter mounted on a bridge over the mid.
The fact that seperate mids & tweets run through an external crossover will give you more precise sound.
Best option is to upgrade both Mid and tweet to component separates which will come with a crossover - obviously if budget allows for it.

Didin

NikB
17-01-2002, 11:50
Nice one,

Thanks for the advice. Went for a set of Kenwood components with passive X-overs in the end. Now all I have to do is fit them....

Nik

Diddn
17-01-2002, 12:54
Cool, they the dual mag ones will purple cones? If so, they're the ones I had in my car a while back. Sound very nice and precise, esp if run on an external amp, but work pretty well off the head unit too.

NinetySix
20-01-2002, 02:27
hmmmmm whats the crossover value/slope on the factory cross over?

my s14a is the low spec level (thus lightest http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/wink.gif) model (with highspec front and rear spoiler tho) ... so i only had those clarion dual cones ... which were actually really good considering..

i just chucked in a set of boston rallys and sealed up all the access holes in the door with 3mm MDF and a wholeeeee lotta duct tape .. and i gotta say they really blow me away ... powered with a xplod 2x150wrms amp

i really dont think much of the "big name" brand speakers ... ie kenwood, sony, pioneer, sansui (haha!) ..

for a car so nice you should really lash out on somthing nice like boston, focal, dynaudio, infinity, morel etc etc....

but if the cross over has a 12dB/oct slope and the tweeter is nice sounding then just chucking in a better midbass driver, sound proofing the door a bit and amplifying them will get you a great sound

my boston driver fit into the plastic speaker pod with about 1.5mm clearance from the back of the pod ...

plastic has very poor acoustic properties however ... im going to replace the plastic pod with an MDF unit which should really help low end bass (allthough its allready really good)

i find that good sound in any car comes down to 90% installation, and 10% equipment quality..