PDA

View Full Version : Help fitting me old mans stereo

turbo pete
18-03-2002, 22:03
My dad has just gone from an old 240 volvo to a newish 850R.

The stereo in the old car comprised a headunit/cd unit, DSP, amp+crossovers, and speakers x8.

The new car has all the above except the DSP.

Dad's stereo centre said that the DSP would not fit in the 850R since the volvo stereo doesn't have an output for a DSP.

Apparently you can't send the signal straight to the DSP since the volvo head unit has an inbuilt amp and it would damage the DSP.

Is it feasible that I could take the top off the volvo head unit, disconnect the signal feed to the internal amp and route the signal to the dsp and back again. i am guessing it would require a little soldering, some new connectors and maybe a hole drilling in the case.

He doesn't want to change the original volvo head unit since it fits so nicely into the dash.

Thanks for any responses
Turbo pete

Asht_200
19-03-2002, 18:53
I would guess that the DSP has Preamp inputs. If that is the case, you could simply purchase a "Voltage Divider" from an ICE store that converts speaker level to Preamp level

turbo pete
20-03-2002, 00:27
If the signal has been amplified and is then reduced to go into the DSP won't that have increased the noise? Surely the noise will have been amplified. i would have thought that amplifying it again would make it worse?

Asht_200
20-03-2002, 01:41
Originally posted by turbo pete
If the signal has been amplified and is then reduced to go into the DSP won't that have increased the noise? Surely the noise will have been amplified. i would have thought that amplifying it again would make it worse?

I doubt the original Volvo Head unit would be great on signal to noise.

Billy
22-03-2002, 13:38
If the head unit has some redundant pre-outs marked on the circuit board, it would be easy enough, but if not your going to need a circuit diagram and a lot of patience.

Low level leads can pick up a fair amount of noise themselves, which gets amplified along with the signal. It's swings and roundabouts really. I would go with antmcp's route myself....