PDA

View Full Version : Component speakers

richy4
03-08-2001, 17:34
Ok so i wanna put in a set of tasty component speakers in the front but where the feak do i put the tweater any ideas?

Cookie
04-08-2001, 08:53
One possibility that my mate used is to remove the inserts from the side window demist vents and replace this with some speaker mesh and mount them in the mesh.

And the other good point is that they can be removed with out leaving holes.

Daniel san
05-08-2001, 14:20
If you want it to sound the best it can, then mount the tweeters in the kick-wells.

Which components you gonna go for?? I'd go with MB Quartz / Focal personally.

------------------
Dan
www.puresx.co.uk

'98 Saphire Blue S14 (manual of course)
Blitz Induction
Blitz Dump valve
Blitz Exhaust
Blitz MSTT
No CAT
30mm Drop
Skyline style front spoiler
18" Kosie Snipers
Racelogic Adjustable Traction Control
Launch Control
Full Throttle Shift
Clear Indicators
Several MELTED Spark Plugs, resulting in
HKS Forged Pistons
HKS 1.2mm Metal Head Gasket
Trust Iridium Spark Plugs
Done me 1000 miles, now just waiting for Abbey to give me the go ahead before I drop the hammer again!
Credit cards would be more popular if you didn't have to pay the bill every month!
Do not take offence to anything I might say, I am completely mad. So jus chill de feck oooot, ok!

richy4
05-08-2001, 21:03
Not sure which components yet maybe some Sony or JL ones have to see how much spaer cash i have......How is it best to mount them in the kick wells?

kerfumph
06-08-2001, 05:46
I put mine on the black triangle where the door mirror connects too.

------------------
Graham
90' s13
Trust me, I know everything.

Mannie
06-08-2001, 10:24
A decent sound stage in a car can only be acheived by mounting the tweeters around eye level and as far away from your ears and as far apart from each other as possible.

This is usually acheived by having them on the top of the dash somwhere.

It is possible to use the windscreen as a deflector for high frequencies, so you can have them pointing towards the windscreen.

The standard door speakers are actually well angled towards the centre of the car so its well worth trying to mount the replacement speakers do the same. MDF baffles will probably be required for this.

As for speaker choice, ask 10 people and you'll probably get 10 different answers. I have fitted 6" Focal Polykevlar. Brilliant sound quality, and look the nuts! I have my tweeters mounting on the dash, hidden from outside by a pair of tax disc holders (the lefthand one has a tax disc in and the drivers side has a parking permit in) so are pretty un-noticeable.
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polykevlar/165k2.htm

Hope this helps

P.S. My next purchase is going to be a Pioneer DEQ-9200 active crossover as it has time allignment function.

Daniel san
08-08-2001, 18:12
Think of it like this. In your home stereo system, would you cut your speaker in half and put the mid-bass unit on the floor and the tweeters on the wall somewhere??? Didn't think so. I know a car is not the home and it's a totally different enviroment etc etc but the principal remains the same. The reason the kickwell is the best place is because then they're right next to the mid-bass unit, and this way they're also the same distance away from your ears as the mid-bass unit.

------------------
Dan
www.puresx.co.uk

'98 Saphire Blue S14 (manual of course)
Blitz Induction
Blitz Dump valve
Blitz Exhaust
Blitz MSTT
No CAT
30mm Drop
Skyline style front spoiler
18" Kosie Snipers
Racelogic Adjustable Traction Control
Launch Control
Full Throttle Shift
Clear Indicators
Several MELTED Spark Plugs, resulting in
HKS Forged Pistons
HKS 1.2mm Metal Head Gasket
Trust Iridium Spark Plugs
Done me 1000 miles, now just waiting for Abbey to give me the go ahead before I drop the hammer again!
Credit cards would be more popular if you didn't have to pay the bill every month!
Do not take offence to anything I might say, I am completely mad. So jus chill de feck oooot, ok!

Mannie
09-08-2001, 12:21
True, I wouldn't cut my speakers in half but only because it would be a stupid thing to do.

Bass, and to a certain extent mid-bass, is non-directional meaning your ears/brain can't tell where its coming from. Higher frequencies are directional so you want them as close to ear height as possible to create a decent sound stage. The reason why component speakers are available is because door mounted co-axial speakers play all frequencies at your legs.

Just a reminder - your ears are attached to the side of your head not on your ankles!

Richy_Boy
09-08-2001, 14:12
Im no genious in sound stuff, but professional installs put the tweeters in the kick panels. Dont know why, but there you go.. all to do with sound staging..

Either way.. I dont give a sh*t, just what I have read.

------------------
Rich

180 to 210 BHP @???? rpm
S13 J reg Graphite Grey - ND200, Koni Adj., 17" wheelz, dropped. Broken.

kerfumph
09-08-2001, 14:47
Ok how about this,apparently low base has a wave form that is longer than that the cars interior thats why is v. hard to get it right, oh and tweeters (in an ideal place) should be at ear height and parallel to the listener this is because their wave is very short and directional,and as for cutting your speakers up, how many sub/satellite systems are there on the market theses days.

------------------
Graham
90' s13
Trust me, I know everything.