PDA

View Full Version : How to...Fit a AMP and SUB in a s14

Cookie
22-07-2001, 09:59
MY Tips from having 2 ICE'd S14 200sx's

Fitting of a AMP and SUB

On the bulk head on the drivers side of the car below the brake distribution pipes is a spare grommet, use this to get the power in to the car.

On the (looking head on)left side of the of the fuse box will be a tag holding the earth strap, remove the tag and mount the fuse holder for the power cable here.

In the car to get the power to the back of the car either run the cables along the door sill as normal (Never found enough spare room in a 200sx to do this) or run through the center console, under the little bit of carpet at the rear, under the rear seat, past the ecu (if you ever wanted to know where it is)and in to the boot.

For running the phono cable from the head unit these can also be run through the center console (Have found no interference problems at all)

As for where to put the sub and amp...

A boxed 10" could go under the parcel shelf, but the shelf vibrates badly, so if you intend to use this location you will need to build a new MDF parcel shelf (Have never found a aftermarket one for a 200sx).

Best location for the sub box is on the left of the boot(where the fire extinguisher strap is).

I have currently moved the strap to a bolt at the bottom of the tool access door and have another strap that goes round the box and clicks in the the original strap to hold the box in (I want to be able to remove the box now and then to get stuff in the boot)

Parcel shelf vibration is not so bad in this location but sound deadening under parcel shelf is a good idea.

Best location for the amp is behind the cd changer on the right of the boot (You might want to move the cd changer in to the boot a little more).
As for mounting the amp get some mdf, mount this behind the carpet moulding , replace moulding and screw amp to moulding/mdf.

My current setup is a bit limited as i have only had the second s14 a few weeks.

As follows

Lightning Audio S4.300 4 chanel amp.
Infinity Perfect 10.1 Sub and sealed box
Sony MDX-670RDS head

Have found the speakers in the car work fine with the output from the head (4X45) so have not connect the extra channels on the amp up.

If you want any advise on fitting audio in the s14 just let me know.

olly200sx
24-07-2001, 09:49
You should always run the power and rca/speaker cables separately even though you may not get interference at the moment, you probably will in the future, and its better practice. Run the power down the right hand side, speaker wires left hand side and rca's through the middle, try to run as many rca's as you have channels out on the head unit for future upgrades !!!

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

Cookie
22-08-2001, 10:14
UP

Mannie
22-08-2001, 12:59
What you opinion of the Perfect 10?

I currently have a Rockford 12" but am thinking of changing this for a pair of 10's.

What is the box size for a Perfect 10?

olly200sx
22-08-2001, 13:42
If you are thinking of tens why not try the DB AUDIO Raptor, for £65 it kicks ass or the Atomics whether MA or QT series really rock and I'm getting four 12" of the Atomics to go with my 2000wrms amplifier !!!

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

DJFish
03-09-2001, 07:41
This may seem obvious to the thickest person which explains why I didn't do it! but when buying a new sub and box, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE BOOT HINGE CLEARANCE!
Otherwise you'll have to have the sub in the middle of the boot rather than at the side which makes getting your golf clubs in a bit tricky!

Dave

------------------

http://www.themelee.com/smilies/s/otn/animals/fish.gif

Black Almera GTi/Blue S14