PDA

View Full Version : S13 Front Speakers

alongwor
12-02-2002, 08:36
Does anyone know what size the standard front speakers in the S13 are? They appear to be a strange size from looking at the grills (I havent purchased the S13 yet :-)?
Has anyone fitted 6 1/2" components in the front?

Jezz_S13
12-02-2002, 10:25
THe std is 6x4.

I have (and many others) 6x9 coaxials but fitting them is a bit hit and miss.

alongwor
12-02-2002, 11:08
Has anyone out there got any pictures of the front door running 6 1/2 " componets and any information on the work involved. I havent had time to look into how much space there is etc...
Any feedback would be greatful.

Scottie
21-02-2002, 09:24
If you want to try direct replacement speakers have a look at the Lanzar NEO 46.1 speakers. They are direct replacement and can handle 110w RMS / 220w Max.

They are £89 from Car Audio Centre in Nottingham, England.

alongwor
21-02-2002, 09:46
Those would be a consideration for the rear fill, but you cant beat a set of components in the front. It looks like we could be on for something new if no-one has done this yet (I'm sure someone must have given it a go)!

Asht_200
21-02-2002, 16:52
Having JL Audio 6 1/2" components fitted shortly.

Kev
26-02-2002, 01:08
I fitted 6" mid-range/low range speakers in the front doors and 1/2" tweeters at the top of the door.

Sounded bloody good though i could have done with a higher wattage speakers i suppose.

What make were they?
Aiwa, as in i stripped them out of household speakers and used parts of the speaker box as a baffle :D

Done me fine and cost me nout cos the hi-fi was scrapped anyway :D :D :D

Mannie
04-03-2002, 16:37
I have got a pair of Focal Polykevlar 165 K2's fitted on custom baffles in the front door of my S13. They are 6.5" diameter. Took a bit of work to make the baffle up. Took off the originall Nissan grill (held on by screws on the inside of the door panel).
Tweeters are on the dash near the A pillar.
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polykevlar/165k2.htm
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polykevlar/zoom/images/165k2.jpg

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: Mannie ]

Asht_200
11-03-2002, 16:51
Originally posted by Mannie:
<STRONG>I have got a pair of Focal Polykevlar 165 K2's fitted on custom baffles in the front door of my S13. They are 6.5" diameter. Took a bit of work to make the baffle up. Took off the originall Nissan grill (held on by screws on the inside of the door panel).
Tweeters are on the dash near the A pillar.
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polykevlar/165k2.htm
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polykevlar/zoom/images/165k2.jpg

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: Mannie ]</STRONG>

What are the focals like?

beavertron
12-03-2002, 01:37
Originally posted by Kevs 200sx:
<STRONG>What make were they?
Aiwa, as in i stripped them out of household speakers and used parts of the speaker box as a baffle :D

Done me fine and cost me nout cos the hi-fi was scrapped anyway :D :D :D</STRONG>

Arnt house speakers 8ohm usually and car speakers 4ohm - result draws twice the current that it should from amp or head unit.

docwra
12-03-2002, 10:52
Originally posted by beavertron:
<STRONG>

Arnt house speakers 8ohm usually and car speakers 4ohm - result draws twice the current that it should from amp or head unit.</STRONG>

Aye, and disco speakers are 16 ohm :)

Stevecarter200
12-03-2002, 11:51
Nah, an 8 ohm speaker is actually kinder to the amp, unfortunately this results in a lower volume as well. The lower the impedance gets the harder the amp has to work and can blow the amp.

I have Infinity Kappa components fitted in my doors mounted on MDF baffles. The 6 1/2" mid-bass is to the front of the door with the Emit tweeter next to it mounted on some perforated metal strip (the stuff you generally get when you buy a head unit) angled up and back towards my head. Sounds pretty good.

The baffles were made from 8mm MDF. I removed the original plastic speaker mount and copied the shape where it mounts on the door. I used the original screw holes to mount it on the door.

Just be careful about the depth of the mid-bass, it can get very close to the window when its wound down.

6x9s are even more of a problem to fit. They are generally deeper than a 6" and depending on the design you may have to cut the door card and use the 6x9 grill rather than leave the original one.

For rear fill I have 5" Infinity co-axials. They just about fit in the standard positions on MDF baffles.

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: SteveCarter100 ]

Kev
12-03-2002, 16:48
Originally posted by beavertron:
<STRONG>

Arnt house speakers 8ohm usually and car speakers 4ohm - result draws twice the current that it should from amp or head unit.</STRONG>

Nah mate, otherway round.
Less resistance= more current
More resistance = less current

I.e. lower volume for bigger resistance and louder volume (but more chance of frying the amp) with less resistance.

But to answer ur first question, house speakers (like car speakers) range from 4-16ohms depending on make and model.

Kev

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Kevs 200sx ]

Stevecarter200
12-03-2002, 21:00
Ummm, didnt I just say that?? :confused: :p

Kev
12-03-2002, 21:20
Kinda, maybe, some of it.
But not all of it :p :p :D :D

Mannie
20-03-2002, 10:38
Focals are a suberb speaker.
A mate at work spent a fortune on a load of Kenwood stuff to try and get the same sound as my set-up but we both agree that his isn't a patch on mine. He's a bit gutted as both his cross-overs seems to have packed up.
I would recomend Focals to anyone.

Billy
20-03-2002, 14:09
Can I just clear something up here?

The only way to judge how loud a speaker is going to be for any given power level, is by looking at the efficiency rating.
The Focals produce 92db/W at 1 metre, which is quite good for something like that. (Synthetic cone, tailored frequency response, etc.) I would guess the original paper cone units are about 97db/W at 1 metre, efficient but unable to handle any real power.
The impedance has nothing to do with it. It may be true that a 4ohm speaker will draw twice the current of an 8ohm version for any given voltage, but it doesn't mean it can handle any more power. The different impedances are available to suit different amp designs. Low impedance stuff is popular for ICE since the 12V supply makes high current/low voltage amps easier to use than the more normal domestic stuff (which often use + and - 50V supplies).

And finally, a 3db increase in efficiency means twice the volume, a 9db increase is 8 times louder.
Conversely, it takes 10 times as much power to produce twice as much volume.

And if that doesn't confuse you, you either know it already, or you haven't read it properly! :)

Asht_200
20-03-2002, 17:10
Originally posted by Billy
Can I just clear something up here?

The only way to judge how loud a speaker is going to be for any given power level, is by looking at the efficiency rating.
The Focals produce 92db/W at 1 metre, which is quite good for something like that. (Synthetic cone, tailored frequency response, etc.) I would guess the original paper cone units are about 97db/W at 1 metre, efficient but unable to handle any real power.
The impedance has nothing to do with it. It may be true that a 4ohm speaker will draw twice the current of an 8ohm version for any given voltage, but it doesn't mean it can handle any more power. The different impedances are available to suit different amp designs. Low impedance stuff is popular for ICE since the 12V supply makes high current/low voltage amps easier to use than the more normal domestic stuff (which often use + and - 50V supplies).

And finally, a 3db increase in efficiency means twice the volume, a 9db increase is 8 times louder.
Conversely, it takes 10 times as much power to produce twice as much volume.

And if that doesn't confuse you, you either know it already, or you haven't read it properly! :)

You're quite right Billy, but then you also have to take in to account the RMS power rating of the Amplifier at a given impedence. Normally as you lower the impedence, the amp can deliver more power. So if say an amp is rated at 60W RMS into 4Ohms may only deliver 30-40 W RMS into 8Ohms. If the efficiency of the the 8 ohm and the 4 ohm speakers are the same, if you run them amp at maximum before clipping, the 4 ohm speakers will be louder.

Normally to work out power at a given impedence you would use the equation v*v/R. This would state that halving the impedence would double the power. However, most amplifiers have protection circuits to prevent the power going to high. (This is to prevent idiots from wiring multiple speakers in parallel to produce awsome amounts of power, although you can now get amps that are stable to less than 1 Ohm)

And then you must also take into account that the impedence of the speaker will change with frequency.

http://www.frenchimages.com/marklev/IMF/TLS80/tls80graph1.jpg

Now that must really confuse you all.

Kev
20-03-2002, 21:55
And there was me thinkin this was dead and buried.

It seems we are all saying the same thing here:)

Basically if the resistance is lower, more current will be drawn through the speaker from the amp.
The problem with that is that possibly either the speaker or the amp (or both) wont be able to handle the extra and blow themsevles up:( .
But if neither blows themselves up, then u will generally speaking get a louder sound:D although it may be so badly distorted that u cant listen to it:(

Everybody agree? disagree? dont care? was never really bothered to begin with.

:D :D :D :D :D

Kev