PDA

View Full Version : Salisbury Rolling Road - Excellent Day

Nicely
28-02-2004, 15:40
Well done to R.Sendout for organising the Salisbury rolling road at Autocraft SVE! :thumbs:

Great day. The Autocraft boys and girls had the setup sorted (maybe need to concentrate a bit more on traction in future, though). Checked the flywheel and wheels figure against the recommendation here (http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64782) and found the flywheel estimates were actually quite conservative rather than generous.

The results had most people smiling (or cheering in my case!) thanks to the very cold weather.

The trophies were a nice touch. :nod:

I'll get the photos sorted out and on my site this week and I'll be getting the full results from Autocraft too. :D

Here's my graph if anyone's interested. 267 @ the wheels, 295 @ the flywheel! :D

Jeff
28-02-2004, 15:45
Top day :thumbs: Good work Dave :notworthy Very impressed with the set up there and would happily go there again :)

May I be the first in with the excuses :D I think was getting some wheelspin on my run :rolleyes: Either that or summinks seriously wrong after 4000rpm (oddly enough that's around the time when the car starts to feel much faster cos the tubby kicks in :wack: )

EDIT: Bloody hell Nicely, your graph is smooth as a baby's arse :cool:

fullmetalgasket
28-02-2004, 16:00
A nice day out again :nod:

I got exactly the same figures as last time :wack:
190 bhp@ wheels - 218 @ fly @ 4950 RPM :notworthy

I'm now in search for a Diesel sticker for the back of my car.....

(looking at your graph Nicely, I think I may well jump ahead of you once my E-Manage is fitted :D :smash: )

Bart
28-02-2004, 16:05
But i wished i'd bloody run now though...:mad: :censored:

Andy Dee
28-02-2004, 16:08
Excellent day. Cheers for the organizing Dave.

:thumbs:

The last minute gamble of changing the coil packs seemed to cure the missing problem.

294BHP @ 6621rpm :D

Edit* lol @ Nicely's superfast sig pic update:D

Ramps
28-02-2004, 17:09
Cheers Dave - Excellent day :thumbs:

Two trophies at my first RR day - "S13 Lowest bhp" and "Also ran" :D :D :D

Guess I need to convert to a manual box so I can get a proper reading!!

Any estimates to what I might have got if they could have run it over 4000 rpm???? ;)

SM
28-02-2004, 17:19
HOLY MOLEY BATMAN !!!

295 BHP on Super Smooth Graph? .... no wonder they say "That will do Nicely"
You only have 15psi, K&N Panel, Apex Decatted Zorst and colder plugs?

Roll on 6th March .. I was hoping to make 250BHP with my similar setup, I think I'll do it (only my zorst is different but still 3.5" / 3.0" Hybrid and decatted).

:Plug: 1 Possible cancelation place for my RR day ... and the wether is due to be cold then too :D

Nicely
28-02-2004, 17:25
Originally posted by SM zZoom!
295 BHP on Super Smooth Graph? .... no wonder they say "That will do Nicely"
You only have 15psi, K&N Panel, Apex Decatted Zorst and colder plugs? Ehem...err...17.64psi today. :D :eek: Don't forget the airbox elbow removal!! See, I keep saying you don't need an induction filter!

Hi to Ramps66 :wave: Side by side going round the Castle Road Roundabout as you headed out of Salisbury.

Ramps
28-02-2004, 17:31
Couple of pics:

Pic 1 (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/p08f8b7a65cae5c1402613bee6033a638/f97dfdce.jpg)

Pic 2 (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/pdc0357ef967d212d135740a11f34b3bd/f97dfdca.jpg)

SXOC Drive thru (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/p76621d8ea7a71544f4d18d83b6630402/f97dfdc7.jpg)

Missed you Nicely. Probably had my eyes shut ;)

SM
28-02-2004, 17:42
Originally posted by Nicely
Ehem...err...17.64psi today. :D :eek: Don't forget the airbox elbow removal!! See, I keep saying you don't need an induction filter!

17psi !!!

No Det ? as you have no Chip...
I have removed the elbow ... and the S14a has the blanking plate removed for cold air flow, my Specs similar to yours, cant wait till the RR ... I should get 3 power runs ... will see how high I can set the boost before DET accurs ...

DanS14
28-02-2004, 17:47
Sxoc Drive thru lmao!

Really good turnout and seemed to run quite smoothly.

Changed my mind in the end and ran the car

302bhp Fly

274@wheels Yay!!

Also awarded the "Bullshit" Trophy for estimating my power so wrong before the run!

Cheers R.Sendout for organising it all:thumbs:

maverick
28-02-2004, 18:24
Had a great day. Was wrongly awarded the highest bhp trophy!! :p Got 313bhp, so was very happy.
Many thanks to R.Sendout for organising the day. Also thanks to DanS14 for helping me fit the ground kit. :thumbs:

Had a good drive back. I'll remember not to follow JC200SX unless I already know where I'm going, even when he's driving a Honda!! :D

DanS14
28-02-2004, 19:34
Had a fun drive home too....avoiding Jolly's flames!

Not sure if we went the right way, but got to the A303 eventually!

Phil L
28-02-2004, 20:25
Hello all...was a good day, :notworthy to R.sendout, pretty well organised, I thought. And the trophies was nice touch.

304@fly, 276@wheels :whip: at DanS14 :D

ramps66 - with your torque heading for 240lb/ft, I reckon you'd be close to 300 cos that's similar to mine.

Stonehenge was...err...a few lumps of rock in a field.

Ninja
28-02-2004, 21:32
Originally posted by Phil L
Hello all...was a good day, :notworthy to R.sendout, pretty well organised, I thought. And the trophies was nice touch.

304@fly, 276@wheels :whip: at DanS14 :D

ramps66 - with your torque heading for 240lb/ft, I reckon you'd be close to 300 cos that's similar to mine.

Stonehenge was...err...a few lumps of rock in a field.
I must apologise to Dan, I didn`t get round to mapping his car some more, it will be sorted before the next RR day:smash:
I would have come along today but i was fitting e-manage to Drift S14`s car.

Pete C
28-02-2004, 22:26
Was a good day out, thanks to Dave for organising it, and also to the people who manned the burger van, excellent food for not much money :thumbs:

I didn't run my car 'cos I'm boring ( ;) ), but I did bring it, and washed too! Shame no-one saw it 'cos it was parked behind a big lorry all day :rolleyes:

Did anyone see that crazy twin turbo 32v V8 they had sat just inside the doorway!? :eek:

Ramps
28-02-2004, 22:33
Originally posted by Phil L

Thanks Phil but I wouldn't get near that with my spec, even in my dreams (unfortunately :annoyed: )

I was hoping for 210 to 220

Nicely
28-02-2004, 23:03
Originally posted by Pete C
I didn't run my car 'cos I'm boring ( ;) ), but I did bring it, and washed too! Shame no-one saw it 'cos it was parked behind a big lorry all day :rolleyes:

I saw it.

http://www.jull.info/download/petesmota.jpg

Did anyone see that crazy twin turbo 32v V8 they had sat just inside the doorway!? :eek: The one with the 'child-killer' turbos. :nod: :notworthy

Pete C
28-02-2004, 23:08
I saw it.

http://www.jull.info/download/petesmota.jpg

Yay! :)

Cheers mate, it looks good in that one, you even managed to obscure my rear wheelarch rust using that big Transit! :D

RSendout
28-02-2004, 23:57
Thanks to everyone for coming, hope everyone was happy with their results. I had a great day, seems everyone I spoke to did too:thumbs:

Thanks again for coming:)

Dave

DanS14
29-02-2004, 07:14
Useful to see a couple of standard cars running too,like that Civic Type R that hit 194bhp

Phil L......next time next time!!

JC
29-02-2004, 08:31
Originally posted by Maverick
Had a great day.

Got 313bhp.

Had a good drive back. I'll remember not to follow JC200SX unless I already know where I'm going, even when he's driving a Honda!! :D

All that power and you still couldn't keep up with the mighty Accord 2.0is :rolleyes:

:p

:D

maverick
29-02-2004, 08:35
:smash:

Nicely
29-02-2004, 08:36
Hey, are your two cars clones? :p

Genjuro
29-02-2004, 13:20
Cheers to everyone for yesterday, i really enjoyed it, even if i did have the least powerful car there, and i was a bit disapointed even though its standard, that it was so unpowerful. Special thanks to R.Senout for organising it, Boost Junkie for driving slow enough that i could keep up with him and Kirkster for showing me what a modded S14 could do. :thumbs:

Now i'm going to go and plan what bits i need to get my car to at least the power it is in the brocure. :cry:

Nicely
29-02-2004, 14:02
Don't be too disheartened, mate. Your figure is pretty true to the real standard figure. S14s are never 197bhp standard.

jimboturbo
29-02-2004, 14:26
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

At nicely's over 260hp @ wheels.. with those mods..

Lucky it was cold and no DET, surprised no fuel cut..

Good work mate.

Have you got std pump as well?

Nicely
29-02-2004, 14:42
Yes. Wound back the boost valve this morning! :p

Nicely
29-02-2004, 16:11
My photos are here (http://www.jull.co.uk/meets/salisbury_rr.html). :thumbs:

andykaz
29-02-2004, 17:09
Good to see you mangaed to get me slap bang in the middle of one of those photos :wack:

Great day out that. Not a 200 owner but a very big admirer. Was driving home at the end of the day and saw about 7 200sx's pulling out from the bottom of the trading estate.... think that image will last with me forever :notworthy

Boost Junkie
29-02-2004, 17:41
Great day out, thanks to Mr Nice, Maverick and Dan for the advice - Apexi SAFC II is on order. DVD is being put together as we speak. Thanks to R.Sendout for the organisation. IA good day had by all.

Kp

Jolly F
01-03-2004, 08:22
Was a good day and i got an ickle trophy for top BHP.

Felt guilty as Hingy seemed to get attached to it.

Shame they couldn't stop the car from spinning up but 317 BHP with wheelspin wasn't bad...

Dan - I had to stop playing as my fuel gauge was going down to quick to the point i was gonna run out of petrol :rolleyes:

Was fun, liked the 5 gear rolling race up the carrige way :thumbs:

Mark
01-03-2004, 09:39
Looked like a good day :thumbs:

Nicely, your graph is the bollox mate :notworthy did you get the flyers in time ? and did anyone take one ;)

DanS14
01-03-2004, 11:10
Originally posted by Jolly F
Was a good day and i got an ickle trophy for top BHP.

Felt guilty as Hingy seemed to get attached to it.

Shame they couldn't stop the car from spinning up but 317 BHP with wheelspin wasn't bad...

Dan - I had to stop playing as my fuel gauge was going down to quick to the point i was gonna run out of petrol :rolleyes:

Was fun, liked the 5 gear rolling race up the carrige way :thumbs:

Hmm, yeah my fuel gauge seemed to lose half a tank on the way home!
...half your fuel is used to spit flames at Stockbridge police cars!!

Nicely
01-03-2004, 12:13
Originally posted by Nismo Mark
Looked like a good day :thumbs:

Nicely, your graph is the bollox mate :notworthy did you get the flyers in time ? and did anyone take one ;) Cheers. To say I was chuffed is an understatement! Got the flyers, thanks. Unfortunately, Royal :censored: Mail delivered after 1pm on Friday which meant I had to go to the RR before they opened at 9 on Saturday. :furious:

I will make use of them though. :nod:

Mick_Camberley
01-03-2004, 12:41
Just adding my thanks for organising a great day....

Sorry i had to depart early to babysit but after getting 277bhp (wheels) 305bhp (fly)...i was in shock anyway....

and to think the only mods I've done are blue LED's and DVD install. (must have been the copy of F&F 2 that I left in there)

got home in record time thanks to the added confidence 300 brake gives you.

Then took my son out......blew everything away.......until i blew an intercooler hose off. (Pops did warn me about that) then had to suffer the embrassment of everything passing me that I had just passed, as I crawled along poppin banging and making smoke.

Still.......it's back together now and I still have a certificate for 305 brake

Mick_Camberley

Mick_Camberley
01-03-2004, 18:18
my power curve for 305 brake.

Mick

DanS14
01-03-2004, 19:40
My graph is near as dammit identical apart from being plotted on smaller axes.

....hmm almost like it is the same graph just replotted on smaller axes!

Strange that I seem to have lost torque...unless that is torque at the wheels and my previous was torque at the fly

Phil L
01-03-2004, 22:02
lmao :D mines virtually the same too !

iz it cos we iz blue :wack:

and I'm down on torque too, strange considering power is up.

Mick_Camberley
01-03-2004, 22:46
think your right Phil.

I checked some of the other graphs and it's definitely coz we're blue. The graphs for the silver, blacks and reds are all different.

Mick

fullmetalgasket
02-03-2004, 11:59
I can refute that suggestion, mines blue and the lines stop at 5.5k :smash: :rant:

Although saying that, it's nearly identical up untill 5k ;)

Andy Dee
02-03-2004, 12:05
Just looking at the S14/a power figures (and for possible future reference).... Is upgrading the fuel pump not that big an issue then?

I would have expected fuel cut and even det as you go over the 280bhp area?

:confused:

Nicely
02-03-2004, 12:11
I get fuel cut regularly on these cold mornings.

SM
02-03-2004, 12:13
Originally posted by Andy Dee
Just looking at the S14/a power figures (and for possible future reference).... Is upgrading the fuel pump not that big an issue then?

I would have expected fuel cut and even det as you go over the 280bhp area?

Fuel pump is an easy job
I think people ran with a little extra boost at this event, no det due to sub-zero temps? I dont think nicely could have run 17.5psi with no chip otherwise.. I was surprised at no fuel cut too.

Lets see how the Northerners do this Sat :thumbs:

Phil L
02-03-2004, 12:36
I've got uprated fuel pump and mapped unichip, so removes the fuel cut.

But still, the injectors must be maxing out ...

Going by Mr Carter's rough estimate of:

injectors cc x cylinders/5 x duty% = bhp

304 / (370 x 0.8) = 102.7% :eek: fook!

Mick_Camberley
02-03-2004, 12:51
I am probably completely wrong as always but I thought fuel cut was controlled from the ECU and would not be effected by the type of fuel pump fitted.

That said I have got the walbro which might help explain the nice smooth curve.

I actually turned my boost down on the day from 15/16 to 14/15 psi coz i knew they would push the car harder than i generally do and I still acheived 277bhp at the wheels. (305 at the fly, did I mention that already)

Regarding "det" I thought this was all caused by higher temperatures when running at higher boost levels. I also thought that the main reason to fit a FMIC was to acheive better cooling effect so you can run high boost without DET.

I've got the uprated WMIC but even in the warm weather havent suffered DET (as far as i know) at 15psi.

Also (sorry to drag on) surely the risk of DET increases the longer you run at high boost. So Jolly's car which had four runs stood a greater chance of DET than mine which ran one because of the temperature build up.

Logical or shite....you can tell me....(I can take it)

Mick

Phil L
02-03-2004, 13:11
Fuel cut is controlled by ECU. The AFM measures air flow and converts to voltage. More boost, more air=higher voltage.
At a certain voltage (14.7v I think), the ECU cuts the fuel.

Should not be affected by temps, just amount of air flow measured :confused:

Andy Dee
02-03-2004, 13:37
Regarding "det" I thought this was all caused by higher temperatures when running at higher boost levels. I also thought that the main reason to fit a FMIC was to acheive better cooling effect so you can run high boost without DET

I agree, but if a fuel pump couldnt deliver the required amount of fuel. The air/fuel mixture would begin to lean out causing higher cylinder temparatures and possibly resulting in Det?

Just curious is all. I am guessing the S14/A fuel pump is a bigger boy than the S13 one:)

DanS14
02-03-2004, 16:28
I get fuel cut regularly on these cold mornings.

I never hit fuel cut....in fact the safc shows my AFM running at a maximum of 68%
I'm wondering if there have been manufacturing differences over the years as some people seem more susceptible to fuel cut than others

DanS14
02-03-2004, 16:29
P.S. I realise that the SAFC2 modifies the signal, but even before fitting it I never hit fuel cut apart from on one occaasion when it spiked and it was -1 outside

Papa Lazarou
03-03-2004, 11:34
Originally posted by DanS14
I never hit fuel cut....in fact the safc shows my AFM running at a maximum of 68%
I'm wondering if there have been manufacturing differences over the years as some people seem more susceptible to fuel cut than others

Is that a Z32 AFM?

How does the percentage relate to voltage?

DanS14
03-03-2004, 16:31
Its the standard AFM

I am presuming 100% is the limit of the AFM - and where fuel cut would occur and therefore 4.7Volts

So 68% is equivalent to 3.196Volts