PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged V8 S13

Pages : [1] 2

2 Black Lines
29-12-2003, 16:09
The Nissan 200 SX V8.

This all started about a year ago in Feb 2003, when The Ugly Car was puchased. A 1979 Chevrolet Monza, was found with a running V8 of unknown origin and even as it turned out unknown specification, it was cheap and ran so it was added to the collection.

Although bought for the engine it turned out that with a small amount of welding the car would pass an MOT. Being a Q plate emissions didn’t really come into it and the car could now be taxed. Although testing the car, (abusing would be a more apt description) at this point provided more fun and laughs, as frequently a villiage in north Ayrshire on a Saturday afternoon would be smoked like a kipper, and black lines started to appear. Some were approaching the 100 foot mark!, burning rubber everywhere, bearing in mind the car was still running 12 x15 rear rims with 285/65x 15 tyres! We even resorted to welding the diff to improve traction, - even more fun!

The car provided some of the biggest laughs for not a lot of money, but the tin worm (and the torque) took its toll and was un-MOTable on 18th August 2003.

Its successor in the form of a Peugoet 205 Cti was bought with the idea of a little winter project, - a fairly straight forward V8 installation.
With the help of John and his fully equipped garage, David his brother a welder, and access to a lot of tools, this would be fairly easy, with a little cutting with the aid of a Stihl saw.

At the point where John was trying to convince me that maybe the Project 200sx might a be a better idea,and interest from a punter in John’s garage, saw the Peugoet sold, the folding stuff being used to purchase the Nissan, plus a few goodies. The fact, that there is also an additional donor 200sx for spares, helped as well.

So, the as yet totally rebuilt and unrun CA18 that I had re-built months previous, was then hauled out and the first of many trial fitments took place.

The chevy V8 which started as a ‘possibly 305cu’ inch turned out to be a 400 cu inch, and slotted in without to much hassle, and did not look out of place. So the decision being made, the V8 was stripped to bare block and rebuilt – and hence the need for a stand as below.

I should add that compared to previous exploits this is a canter, building and racing various things from saloons, to single seaters and including a kit Car, but not the easy way of cheque in exchange for a Transit load of parts , oh no, lets get the plans and weld it from steel tube, making everything – chassis, roll hoop, pedal box, bodywork, everything.

The Build.

The Nissan had a lot of work done to it, mainly welding for the mot and had 17” wheels amongst other goodies. So after a few trial fitments the best option was to cut the sub-frame, about 3 inch in from each side of the chassis legs, and drop it 2 inches down. The engine mount turrets on the sub-frame had already been removed at this point.

Dropping the centre of the cross-member allows plenty of space for the RHS exhaust manifold to pass underneath the bottom of the sump, and the steering rack which bolts on the back of the cross-member, gets lowered along with the centre part of the cross-member, (extended drop links at the hub end of the rack correct the geometry, enough so that bump steer is negligable). Apart from new holes for the radiator mounts, and an extension to the steering link, this is the only chassis mods that I have needed to do. A 5mm plate welded in the gap for the subframe provides enough strength and is probably the neatest way of doing this. The Holley carb and air filter does need a hole cut in the bonnet, but using say Holley Projection, the conversion may not need this hole.

The main points of trouble after doing the sub-frame drop, are sump, exhaust manifolds, wiring, engine mounts, gauges, propshaft and radiator.

The sump is complicated. On one side is the starter, the exhaust down-pipe runs forward then across the front, then turns and t\s at the left hand bank then goes backwards past the oil filter to the rear. With the flex-plate to the rear of the sump and the steering rack below it, you can see where 25 hrs of welding went!

The radiator was solved by having one made using the chevy one with the integral tranmission cooler, but getting it re-cored,now to a 3-core, the dimensions of which were not to far removed from the Nissan. The propshaft is a THM 200 front (from the chevy) tubed to a Nissan Rear, cut, welded and balanced to the correct length. Using the workshop manual from the SXOC web site (many thanks) locating and tapping into the wiring loom is easy. Engine mounts are chevy to the engine and tubes/plates welded to the lowered sub-frame to provide positioning.

The exhaust manifolds are Hedman Headers Shorties onto a welded set of tubes 3.125” in Dia. Now no matter how you look at it 2x 3.125” pipes are not going to go down past the left hand engine mount, so a ‘t’ piece is used, not the best, but would have to do. This goes to a 3.5” pipe and then onto an Apex stainless single box system – Very loud!!

With the steering rack being lowered, the rigid pipes do not fit. These were discarded and new ultra-high pressure lines made to go from the Nissan pump then under the engine to the rack. A crafty mount onto the block to hold the pump and a V pulley made on the lathe (equipment as I said, is not a problem) grafted onto the poly-vee pulley of the pump, Additional to this section, the drop links to correct the steering geometry, basically 3 sections of 50mm x 5mm flat bar, 1 x block of 40x 40mm square bar - machined with the correct taper of the track rod end, and 1x 8 mm plate drilled, all welded together to make a sort of box like affair between the track rod end and the steering arm - effectively lowering the track control arm and retaining the stiffness of the arm but lower.

The front cross-member which had suffered from the rust, has been cut out and then replaced with 40mm tube cat and welded to replace the old cross-member. bolts coming from this locate the front supports. these are longer than necesary as these now locate the front sump-guard/ strenthening panel. Basically a 5mm sheet of alloy plate approx 450mm x 600mm going between this and the lowered subframe.

The gauges still have to be sorted at the time of writing, but shouldn’t be impossible. But ones robbed from the chevy provide a temporary solution.

A rough costing to get the engine into the car to date;

Engine and transmission (well the donor car) £400
Real Steel (bearings, gaskets,headers,etc) £650
M3 Brake conversion 315mm discs £120
Engine stand ( a must!) £50
Radiator ( 3 core from Serck Marston) £180
Apex Exhaust and s/s brake lines £340
Tyres 2x part worn 235.45/17 £100
Propshaft £100
New 750 cfm holley carb £190
Hitachi geared starter £140
Misc metal sheet and bar/ tube £100
Misc parts £250
New hydralic lines for power steering £50
Corvette 350 cu L98 engine :rolleyes: £700
Further Corvette L98 engine :rolleyes: :rolleyes: £700
More gaskets £50
Yet More gaskets from Real Steel £80
THM 400 transmission £150
New B&M hi stall torque converter £300
Cragar inlet manifold for 8-71 £140
8V-71 GMC blower ( the wrong one!) £40
new transmission cooler lines £120
Stainless steel for bits and bobs £35
Fuel pump and accessories £95
new propshaft for THM 400 £140
Reshell £*00
GMC 6-71 blower BDS drive, Weiand Inlet £**00

The transmission mount is a hybrid Nissan/THM an with a 1.5” extension, bolting into the existing Nissan holes, with longer bolts.

The fuel pump which was an in tank affair was robbed from the chevy and with a bit of cunning replaced the in tank injecton pump, the new pump for the carbs is rated at 65 gallons per hour at 6 psi, don’t know if the figures on the box is accurate but draining a tank is done in double quick time.

The Nissan is fairly easy for a conversion like this, various ancilliaries are in a similar position,- starter, alternator, power steering pump and fuel supply lines. On the down side a V8 needs relatively big down-pipes, and with most US off the shelf headers being made for LHD, the only compromises have been to the joint, where the two down-pipes meet and the starter (small Hitachi geared-type mega power,(not standard) )to steering rack clearance, which is currently 5 mm, time will tell if this is enough.

Once the engine is run in, the transmission will be serviced, which is badly needing done, as when warm it acts up. Then the paint work to bring the car to a visual standard. together with a replacement tailgate and removal of the rear spoiler, with the holes welded up filling , sanding and painted.

So after 400+ hours yes 400+!, you have a 350cu in Nissan S13 V8. The above may look tempting but it still requires a lot of finishing, as the standard I’m looking for is for Mrs 2 Black Lines to be able to drive it, without comment – this is a tall order, as in judgement terms Simon Cowell is tame in comparision!

For the futher work were looking at approx 125 hrs to add to the total.

Many thanks to John and David McFadzean, Sereck Marston, TMS LTD, Real Steel, Rusty at Russell Hydralics, John Dickson and obviously, and of course Nissan and Chevrolet to provide me with the means with which to butcher their products.

Stop press!!

Watch out for V8 update part 2, 'The Supercharger'

But that will have to wait until the engine gets put into the replacement shell.. so its ........

TO BE CONTINUED...

dunc
29-12-2003, 16:16
How low to the ground will the sump be sitting then? Email me a pic/s and I'll post them for you.

Dunc.

Actual_Ben_Taylor
29-12-2003, 18:14
Sounds interesting so far, would be good to see the pics :)

If you're going to those extremes, what about chopping the firewall and moving it right back to help the weight distribution?

Baggy
29-12-2003, 19:43
just a thought but wouldnt it be easier to modify the sump rather than mess with the crossmember?,or failing that get an aftermarket one from the states, there are loads of different ones (available with or without modded pick up pipes) :nod:
Baggy.
ps also by lowering the position of the rack mount you mite find that you have to modifify the rack itself ( ie lengthen or shorten the ends) to allow enough adjustment for tracking.:)

RazMan
29-12-2003, 19:57
If you email the pics to me I will post them in the thread for you - this needs pics! :)

Nismo_Freak
30-12-2003, 04:10
Umm... no one has suggested me for help yet?

Do you guys not remember this?

http://www.limecreekmotorsports.com/houston/acaratshow.jpg

:wack:

2 Black Lines
02-01-2004, 06:42
The sump is modded with weld type pick up, the fire wall is a good suggestion, but it involves more than just a drop in, possible heater, wiring and other complications, the easiest option is cut the subframe, not really an extreme - I've done worse than that to a car!

The ground clearence is around 5 inches, on standard springs, the steering rack although lowered, to maintain correct geometry may only need drop spacers at the hub end - once we fully complete the installation and drive it we will know.

Will take some more pics today and pass them on for posting.

marty_t3
02-01-2004, 08:51
Just curious.... How are you sorting out the power steering??

Dave_S
02-01-2004, 09:05
Oh wow, this I HAVE to see :D

Good luck mate :thumbs:

Dave

2 Black Lines
06-01-2004, 12:02
Power steering - graft nissan pump onto engine and machine/ weld v belt pulley to replace poly-vee pulley on nissan pump.

RazMan
06-01-2004, 12:48
2 black lines has asked me to post his pics. So here goes .....
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=697775

RazMan
06-01-2004, 12:50
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=697778

RazMan
06-01-2004, 12:52
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=697787

RazMan
06-01-2004, 12:53
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=697790

marty_t3
06-01-2004, 13:03
That sits a lot lower and further back than i thought it would :thumbs:

Another few questions .... what are you doing about the transmission side of things? What are you doing about the speedo/tacho etc?

now where did i leave that old SD1?? :D

Pete C
06-01-2004, 13:07
That looks just like it belongs there :D

Good job :thumbs:

RazMan
06-01-2004, 13:09
It really looks at home in there doesn't it. :thumbs:

Have you got enough clearance for the intake?

haggis
06-01-2004, 14:40
Looks spot on,
Could have been made for it.

Nice one

Cheers
Thomas

crackdownuk
06-01-2004, 15:41
:notworthy :notworthy looks good my friend:D

2 Black Lines
06-01-2004, 15:56
Thanks, Questions in order;

Transmission is a Turbohydramatic 200c very compact but awsome on the scales, feels around 50kg in weight.

Speedo, plan is to dismantle gearbox and take pick-up and wheel off and put on prop, diff or undriven hub, any tips?

Tach, either feed into wiring harness?? or change instrument to V8 reading tach, with the direct coils on the 4 cyl eng does the count come form the brain or one of the coils?

Intake clearence is at present now inside the bonnet with it closed - just. Though we might have to raise the engine should the sump need more capacity, we've still to make this.

btw the wood is not part of the installation.

Pete C
06-01-2004, 16:02
Originally posted by 2 black lines
Transmission is a Turbohydramatic 200c very compact but awsome on the scales, feels around 50kg in weight.

Manual I hope ;)

royston
06-01-2004, 17:31
what engine are you running because the th200 auto box is only usaully seen on the 90 degree v6 and small v8s, is it 350 ci 5.7 ltr because its so much easier get bits for that than the 305 ci 5.0 ltr or smaller.
if you could get a th400r4 its a 4 spd auto but it is designed for gm trucks and higher bhp v8s inc big blocks etc.
if you want it ive got a mallory 6al ignition amp with rev limiter on it be ideal for you, worked great on my v8
good luck though geeza steve carter will tell you the hassle i had fitting a rover v8 to a customers merc 190e had to make new crossmember from scratch
hopefully post pics in the next few days of the hilux v8 ive just finished she sounds so nice:wack:

2 Black Lines
07-01-2004, 06:54
The th200c is rated for up to (i've been told) to 600 hp, and yes a th350/400 would be my ideal choice but the engine came with a th200 that is in reasonably good nick.

2 Black Lines
07-01-2004, 06:57
Sorry read your post again - its a 400cu in crane 284 cam 9.5:1 comp with hedman headers, fairly standard other than that.

royston
10-01-2004, 18:30
bloody hell hell geeza its a big block no wonder yr having clearance issuses, yr car is gonna lay some rubber in big way im so jealose:D :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

royston
10-01-2004, 18:33
it will taken 100bhp of nos with any probs heh heh heh:whip:

2 Black Lines
12-01-2004, 07:21
Sorry, my 400cu in is just a small Block.

Big blocks would never fit- ever + the weight, wow- - doesn't even bare thinking about.

royston
12-01-2004, 21:11
jesus i didnt think they made a 400 small block:eek:
hows it going anyway?

marty_t3
12-01-2004, 21:24
Oh... another question for you..... how far down the transmission tunnel does the gear lever come through? Can you use the original gear surround or is the stick in the wrong place?

2 Black Lines
13-01-2004, 06:55
Story so far, making sump and engine subframe, plus waiting for ramp to be installed so its easier getting final clearence + position. Should be finally installed last weekend in Jan.

Gearlever position- sorry I'm cheating by using an auto trans, therefore just a plate with the stick and cable coming thru to replace the hole left by the manual stick.

RazMan
26-01-2004, 08:29
More pics ....... yummy :smitten:
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=737165

RazMan
26-01-2004, 08:30
and ...
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=737168

RazMan
26-01-2004, 08:32
finally ....
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=737171

nismo joe
26-01-2004, 17:41
Can't wait to hear that baby running :smitten:

royston
27-01-2004, 19:42
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D :D :D :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

ATrull
23-03-2004, 16:23
how is this going ? :D

2 Black Lines
23-03-2004, 16:43
Engine is in, fully in, but a minor problem with a cylinder head gasket, ( mental note - use felpro gaskets every time!) has delayed start up, oil pressure is spot on and everything else is Sorted, so hopefully drive it this weekend. ( if work dosen't get in the way again, been working 18 days in a row now without a break)

John Bennett
23-03-2004, 16:56
Have you looked on 200sx related chat Black Lines? Another 6-cylinder Skyline-S13 has just been born. You could remind them of your upcoming V8.

2 Black Lines
23-03-2004, 17:09
:thumbs:

tDR
23-03-2004, 17:36
nice :thumbs:

What kinda bhp / torque will this thing have when finished? And are you going for a hi stall torque converter for those drag launches?

Vez
23-03-2004, 17:51
How did I miss this first time :)

What rad are you using? I would seriously think about using an electric water pump to keep it cool when in stationary traffic!!

Interesting choice of gearbox, I will do this some day to mine, but will make a custom subframe, and fit a 928 transaxle at the rear :)

ZXSpectrum
23-03-2004, 18:37
One word for this conversion...

FOOK!!!!! :wack:

Looks MENTAL.... VARrrrrrrroooooooooooooom!

You will have to fill the boot with concrete to get it to stop wheelspinning...

:eek:

Dave_S
23-03-2004, 18:44
Ummm we're missing sound clips / video :D

Dave

2 Black Lines
24-03-2004, 06:52
Originally posted by Dave_S
Ummm we're missing sound clips / video :D

Dave

Soon, be patient, v. soon.

TDR - probably around the 275 bhp mark with 300 - 320 lbs torque, not much but 'I have a cunning plan' - Weiand 7.31!

VEZ - custom rad with Transmission cooler -3 core.

And NO concrete because I want the wheels to spin!!

2 Black Lines
25-03-2004, 17:20
Have altered the 1st post page for more info for those interested

Many thanks, will update as the car progresses.

Feel free to Pm me if you want any further info.:wave:

s13ridge_racer
25-03-2004, 21:33
blimy all that engine in a heap of rust.

shes going to break up captain ,,,shes breaking uuuupppppp

:)

2 Black Lines
26-03-2004, 06:51
Originally posted by s13ridge_racer
blimy all that engine in a heap of rust.

shes going to break up captain ,,,shes breaking uuuupppppp

mmm..... if you were sand blasted then left it outside for 3 months you'd be a bit rusty too.

tDR
26-03-2004, 10:18
Nice write up m8, nice :thumbs:

And you're going to be ripping up the roads of Scotland in this thing? :eek:

Fancy some crail / knockhill action? :nod:

2 Black Lines
26-03-2004, 11:18
Originally posted by tDR

Fancy some crail / knockhill action? :nod:

Maybe, just maybe. One step at a time tho.:nod:

2 Black Lines
20-04-2004, 06:56
At the weekend a new sound was heard, namely one V8 engine.

Nothing so special in that, - so what?

This sound came from under the bonnet of a 200SX.

Next update soon. :wave:

dunc
20-04-2004, 07:29
LOL, you're such a tease :D :notworthy

2 Black Lines
04-05-2004, 17:17
So the engine now runs, the gears engage,- forward and back.

So we now have ......

2 Black lines ( :Plug: )on the floor of the workshop............

At idle................

WITH the foot on the brake!!!! :eek:

And its still pushing the car forward :eek: :eek:

Yip, this is going to be FUN.

Next update soon, (MOT time) :thumbs: :wave:

RohanC
04-05-2004, 17:19
Cant wait to see the vid, and esspecially the associated soundtrack :D

mattpayne
05-05-2004, 08:37
omg i think ive just made a mess in my pants... :D

and again :D

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

ATrull
05-05-2004, 09:16
So the engine now runs, the gears engage,- forward and back.

So we now have ......

Erotic Text Here!

uuhhhh!!!!!! :eek: ;)

formula
05-05-2004, 11:05
Sorry, my 400cu in is just a small Block.

Big blocks would never fit- ever + the weight, wow- - doesn't even bare thinking about.

omg.. had no idea they did a 400cu in small block.. thought they stopped at 350!!..

looks excellent mate.. well done :D

james

tDR
05-05-2004, 11:28
Mmmmm can't wait to see and hear this beast in action! :smitten:

2 Black Lines
10-05-2004, 17:18
The MOT.

Front Struts Spring Pans - iffy ( technical term)

Rear discs - border line - Change them

Emissions - fail but the other (leaner)jets means a pass .

Apart from that a pass.

Now all we have to do is issue ear defenders to the whole of the Strathclyde police force and I'll be laughing.

Think Pro stock@ Santa Pod, and you get the picture!! and we haven't opened up the secondaries yet!!

But I did get to drive it one the road for the first time, not quick but it makes all the right noises.

And I should add, that the Lexus goes bye-bye at the end of this month, then I go on holiday, so for the 4 days, in between, I'll be car-less the 200-V8 will be my daily Driver. :wack:

MeLLoN Stu
10-05-2004, 17:25
i can wholeheartedly say i'm consumed with envy for your car :D

dunc
10-05-2004, 20:03
the 200-V8 will be my daily Driver. :wack:

LOL, happy days :nod:

RohanC
28-05-2004, 07:58
Update?

2 Black Lines
28-05-2004, 08:24
I know your on the edge of your seat.

Everything has been done for the MOT, exept a small patch 2" square to be welded, With no Wire in the mig - arrgh! :rolleyes:

Then the ABS light comes on - WTF!! ( this had never given problems before) :annoyed:

Dodgy connection, but fixed too late to mot last weekend, And it must mot this weekend of it'll have to wait until I return from holiday. :(

But so far, its used 20 litres of fuel and travelled less than a mile!! :eek: ( and about 1.5mm of rear rubber). :eek:

Yip, I've been smoking again. :wave:

RohanC
28-05-2004, 09:32
Fingers crossed for your MOT then :thumbs:

dunc
28-05-2004, 09:37
Fingers crossed for your MOT then :thumbs:

Seconded :)

McRearout
28-05-2004, 11:38
finished pictures?

2 Black Lines
28-05-2004, 15:32
finished pictures?

I see what I can do, tho I'm still awaiting the bonnet scoop to come back, ( there not the quickest) so don't be alarmed about the big hole. :eek:

:thumbs: :wave:

2 Black Lines
30-05-2004, 08:39
:(

Says it all.

:cry: Fail slip.

Due to handing in the Lexus, holiday shopping = no welding = no mot.

But did get to drive down the road, :( .

Then we lost power, No sparks/fuel???- quick check at side of road and no go, so its tow rope time :cry: .

Now, when you switch on the ignition (for the wipers), and the engine which was in supposedly neutral is actually in D, something interesting happens...

The engine bursts into life!!!!!

1 This should not happen.

2 When it does the, car immeadiatly goes broadside. :eek:

This would not be a problem normally, but,

We were going thru roadworks, on the New M77....

And Mr First Bus behind us suddenly found this black Nissan at 45 degrees in front of him!! :eek:

So a quick stamp on the gas, the toyota tow car leaps into warp drive as all the weight behind it suddenly dissapears, and were off.

the first real test drive has revealed 2 things.

The carb has F***ed secondaries which caused the overfuelling (suspected this before, but took the engine out before finding the problem.

The transmission needs serious attention, :( also knew about this as descibed before), and plans have been made, but have to get the car running right and mot'ed before it can be overhaulled.

So its new carb - several people have played with this including the previous owner ( numtee).
But apart from that it drove rather well, lots of torque :nod:, jsut needs a lot of minor clitches sorted.

So its off on holiday, and more when I come back. Will post some piccies if I get the chance. :wave:

Ps No damage after the impromtu drift.

2 Black Lines
29-06-2004, 15:00
New update.

1x new Holley 750 fitted.

Several - well lots of work done - guages, cooling, even cleaned the inside!

So hopefully this weekend - MOT.( after the welding)

MOT = Road Tax = Ahhhhhhhh. :nod: :nod:

Now if the rain would feck off I could take some piccies, Maybe even an AVI file.

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 11:07
[IMG]http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=10350&stc=1

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 11:10
[IMG]http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=10351&stc=1

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 11:13
[IMG]http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=10353&stc=1

McRearout
01-07-2004, 11:16
Mad.

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 11:16
[IMG]http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=10354&stc=1

McRearout
01-07-2004, 11:19
Does the WWW stand for Wild Wild West?

All you need now is a Michael Knight Haircut and some tight jeans!

I bet it sounds lovely (?)

John Bennett
01-07-2004, 11:20
Mental :eek: :notworthy

Minor comment:
I take it you've given up on using the tachometer on the dash. If you know the signal format from the Chevy engine (pulses per rev, voltage) then a converter might be possible.
Does the 200sx speedo work?

Sibbers
01-07-2004, 11:25
Love it mate, 2 black lines indeedy !!! awesome stuff. My hero. :cool:

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 11:29
No, I'm just glad the uploads worked, the plate came with the car.

And yes all Black 200's are tarred with the Knight rider brush.

Now, if only the Digi cam had sound!!

Ps the body is next for treatment as its a bit scaaby.

Some things to note:

Look at the gear stick - this is an Automatic.

Two (for the moment ) expansion tanks.

And yes it needs lowered - but I have speed bumps in the road, so mmmm??.

Sibbers
01-07-2004, 11:30
Any chance you can record the sound somehow? would really like to hear it going!

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 11:32
Mental :eek: :notworthy

Minor comment:
I take it you've given up on using the tachometer on the dash. If you know the signal format from the Chevy engine (pulses per rev, voltage) then a converter might be possible.
Does the 200sx speedo work?
Working on an adaptor to take the output drive from the gearbox onto the (I call it encoder) original Nissan pulse generator to power the original speedo.

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 11:33
Any chance you can record the sound somehow? would really like to hear it going!

Going to try and blag a Movie cam off a mate, so watch this space.

Squizz
01-07-2004, 11:47
Fantastic... :D

I think once you've got everything else finished and you're bored again... You could replace that pancake filter with a ram air scoop. One of the ones with the triple butterflys that open/close with the throttle!

Always wanted to do that with my old TR7V8 :rolleyes:

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 12:00
Fantastic... :D

I think once you've got everything else finished and you're bored again... You could replace that pancake filter with a ram air scoop. One of the ones with the triple butterflys that open/close with the throttle!

Always wanted to do that with my old TR7V8 :rolleyes:

Remember, this car is the test bed for the actual project.

S14a with a 350 running one of Mr Weiands most excellent products(9.31) - will definately need the ram scoop then.

Yak
01-07-2004, 12:21
Test bed? :confused:

RohanC
01-07-2004, 13:02
Test bed? :confused:

My thoughts, your nuts 2 black lines :D

compliment BTW!!

2 Black Lines
01-07-2004, 13:18
My thoughts, your nuts 2 black lines :D

compliment BTW!!Not the first time, thats been said. :wack:

This is a bit scabby all over and the S14 idea was mooted from the very start, so well get this right, then Do a proper one that people will really go :eek: at.

KevJ
01-07-2004, 20:47
Wow :eek:

All I can say is I wish I had your guts (and bank account!)

2 Black Lines
02-07-2004, 13:53
Wow :eek:

All I can say is I wish I had your guts (and bank account!)

I wish I had a decent bank account as well. :wack:

Sibbers
02-07-2004, 13:54
I wish I had a decent bank account as well. :wack:

I for one am thankfull I don't have your credit limit then :wack:

John Bennett
02-07-2004, 13:56
I'm sure if you need funds for the next project, someone'll be interested in buying the V8 S13 :D

Dj_eLiTe
02-07-2004, 15:18
Thank u 2 black lines , its been a pleasure reading this , and all the best and hope u get it totally finished to u r apparent high standards

just shows u what can be done , fantastic !!!

Ross

Pete C
02-07-2004, 22:28
V8 S13: :eek: :D :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Automatic V8 S13: :sleep:

:indiff:

Funb0b
03-07-2004, 07:13
F**k**G Superb.

2 Black Lines
03-07-2004, 07:23
V8 S13: :eek: :D :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

:indiff:

Everyone entitled to there opinion, So respect, I would have as I said before prefered a manual box, but then, there you go, as a road car tho, auto's do work well - reliably- with big V8's. Try one, You might change your opinion. :thumbs: :wave:

Ps you've never been in a car with me tho, If your up in Glasgow anytime...Feel free - you might see why you need one foot for the accellerator and one foot for the brake :eek:

tDR
03-07-2004, 09:05
Again, looks the nuts 2 black lines :thumbs:

You gotta take me for a spin in it sometime! :nod:

The Mad Max style intake poking through the bonnet would really finish it off nicely :D

Bri.

P.S. Barry love the burberry fashions sig PMSL

McRearout
05-07-2004, 06:31
Everyone entitled to there opinion, So respect, I would have as I said before prefered a manual box, but then, there you go, as a road car tho, auto's do work well - reliably- with big V8's. Try one, You might change your opinion. :thumbs: :wave:

Ps you've never been in a car with me tho, If your up in Glasgow anytime...Feel free - you might see why you need one foot for the accellerator and one foot for the brake :eek:

Pete means no harm.
He just don't like auto's - even more than me.

Its a top motor though. :notworthy

BCZ - thats the funniest sig i've seen since JB's motorsport 14a! :thumbs:

2 Black Lines
05-07-2004, 08:26
Pete means no harm.
He just don't like auto's - even more than me.

Its a top motor though. :notworthy

BCZ - thats the funniest sig i've seen since JB's motorsport 14a! :thumbs:

No problem.

The offers still on the table, should he want to consider changing his mind. :thumbs: :wave:

formula
05-07-2004, 09:03

most chevy autos pull faster quarter mile times than their manual counterparts..

and theres only a couple of of manual transmissions available for the chevy blocks, and they're either very rare, or very esxpensive :) the autos work very well, cheap and are freely available.. i'm of a similar opinion about autos, but on a chevy smallblock i honestly dont know what i'd rather have, as they're so good, and so available..

james

2 Black Lines
20-07-2004, 06:57
And for the latest update......

New engine required.

Common problem with 400cu sbc's, so I'm led to believe, is the blocks either cracking or going porous, well guess whats happened... yip :cry: :cry: :cry:

So onto Plan B. get another V8.( and here was me thinking CA18's were unreliable!).
So normal For S13 ownership, considering the costs to date, that ownership works out at about £85.00 per mile travelled. :(

So its dust of the engine stand, get out the dial guage the ......

dunc
20-07-2004, 07:16
Ah thats hard luck mate :(

At least you'll be an expert V8 fitter by the time you are done :D

Dunc.

McRearout
20-07-2004, 07:18

Yak
20-07-2004, 08:07
Erk that a bit unusual aint it? (for a S13 anyway). I presume it means that they werent very good as casting the blocks?

robbo_rules
20-07-2004, 09:28
tough break man, but it will all seemworthwhile when you are running 9 second quarters and pulling wheel stands! lol!

2 Black Lines
20-07-2004, 12:08
Ah thats hard luck mate :(

At least you'll be an expert V8 fitter by the time you are done :D

Dunc.

:cry:

Thanks everyone. :cry: :cry:

As far as well can tell, the block has probably been porous for some time, and with us a steam cleaning all the silt out, which there were tons of it, :rolleyes: , this was probably 'sealing' what was there :( , we put it down to the heads, which someone had machined in a prevous life, (as the engine has got a big, but unknown story to it), so with the overheating/ porous on the first journey, the damage has been done, the big ends are a rattlin' :rolleyes: it has no oil pressure the mains are shot, the pistons are damaged, so its the skip.

Now does anyone know were to find a SBC 350 (yes were going down in size), oh, and if its got a Supercharger on it, even better :nod:

Actual_Ben_Taylor
20-07-2004, 12:30
What about this one ;)

Connor Competition Engines 01285 652365/644506 England

All aluminium 6.3 litre V8 chevrolet engine. 600 bhp 530 lb/ft

Individual Kinsler runner Jemms electronic injection.

Rodec block, 18* brodix heads 11/1. Dry sump.

Dyno sheets. Top parts. Fresh professional uk rebuild.

Call Mike Connor for full details

Shame its 12 grand...

John Bennett
20-07-2004, 12:51
Bummer :( . Glad to see you're still enthusiastic though :thumbs:

Dobergoose
20-07-2004, 13:03
Try www.eurodragster.com
Is any of your old engine reusable?

2 Black Lines
20-07-2004, 13:09
Bummer :( . Glad to see you're still enthusiastic though :thumbs:

Thanks John, had worse than this, so its inconvienient, to say the least,(and expensive), but as Arnie says,

I'll be Back!!!

Sibbers
20-07-2004, 13:16
Thanks John, had worse than this, so its inconvienient, to say the least,(and expensive), but as Arnie says,

I'll be Back!!!

better than "Hasta la Vista".. we'd be worried then ;)

Chavbo
20-07-2004, 13:17
doh :(

at least you'll have the only s13 in the uk to have not 1, but 2 V8's :wack:

good luck :thumbs:

2 Black Lines
20-07-2004, 14:13
doh :(

at least you'll have the only s13 in the uk to have not 1, but 2 V8's :wack:

good luck :thumbs:

Mmm, now there's a thought, one in the front and one in the back!!

That would be 11400 cc!! :wack:

2 Black Lines
20-07-2004, 14:15
And 4 wheel drive :wack: !!

Sibbers
20-07-2004, 14:45
Your next project should be a V8 unicycle :D

Chavbo
20-07-2004, 14:47
Mmm, now there's a thought, one in the front and one in the back!!

That would be 11400 cc!! :wack:

or stick them together with gaffer tape/blue tak/string and beat bugatti to having a W16 engine :nod: :wack:

dunc
20-07-2004, 14:57
Your next project should be a V8 unicycle :D

LOL, in all seriousness I bet thats been done in the US. Anyone seen the V8 chainsaw vid?

Dunc.

Sibbers
20-07-2004, 15:21
LOL, in all seriousness I bet thats been done in the US. Anyone seen the V8 chainsaw vid?

Dunc.

Yeah eheheh that thing is nuts, chops through a full tree trunk (and I mean a proper daddy tree trunk) in about 4 or 5 seconds... crazy. Well if the unicycle's been done then do rollerskates :thumbs:

largeitlargeit
20-07-2004, 15:24
V8 Lollerskates!

2 Black Lines
20-07-2004, 17:02
What about this one ;)

Connor Competition Engines 01285 652365/644506 England

All aluminium 6.3 litre V8 chevrolet engine. 600 bhp 530 lb/ft

Individual Kinsler runner Jemms electronic injection.

Rodec block, 18* brodix heads 11/1. Dry sump.

Dyno sheets. Top parts. Fresh professional uk rebuild.

Call Mike Connor for full details

Shame its 12 grand...

Thanks, Ben, Bit rich for me I'm afriad.

For Dobergoose also - As Described above, the heads are sus, the block is sus, the pistons are sus, the crank is 10/10 and should save, but since its for a 400... an odd shaped hammer me thinks.... the cam should be okay tho :rolleyes:

2 Black Lines
22-07-2004, 11:39
Latest news.

I have found another 400cu. :)

But it needs a rebuild :rolleyes:

But its complete :)

And its cheap, well maybe ( won't know fully until its apart).

Dobergoose
22-07-2004, 16:27
try mad k for rebuild parts

2 Black Lines
02-08-2004, 07:01
Latest news.

I have found another 400cu. :)

But it needs a rebuild :rolleyes:

But its complete :)

And its cheap, well maybe ( won't know fully until its apart).

And then it turns out that itsd a 305 cu :no: .

So a quick phine call, 2.5 hrs in the car later and I'm looking at a slightly crimpled Corvette :( , it has an engine :) , its a L98 350cu :nod: , its mine :D :D :D , its got 326bhp as standard :nod: .

Should be in the car, hopfully by the end of the month.

Sibbers
02-08-2004, 07:34
sweet ! :thumbs:

2 Black Lines
17-08-2004, 14:07
Stop press!!

Just arrived - 1x Chevrolet Corvette L98 350 cu engine :D :D

Will stick it on the stand and report further. :wave:

dexteruk
17-08-2004, 15:02
:D

this is such a great story - can't wait for updates...

(this time, get a vid with sound :D)

Martin T
17-08-2004, 20:09
:notworthy
As I'm sure you're aware, a set of forgies and rods for a chevy V8 are dirt cheep - even replacement cranks are cheepo FFS!
How much power are you going to go for?

2 Black Lines
18-08-2004, 06:47
I'll be quite content for the moment to get it up and running and Mot'd, :nod: .

But, :D :D , still quite fancy the idea of a blower( Mr Wieand :notworthy ), :D :D .

IIRC the Corvette engine I have has, better than standard rods, roller cam and a few other desirable bits and bobs, anyway.

robbo_rules
19-08-2004, 09:42
dunno if you are still looking but I saw on autotrader a 1965 Buick Skylark with a good running 350ci shortblock V8 in it, for 2100 i think, plus it looks sweet if you have the time to make that run as well. Perhaps you could stick a CA18 in there! lol!

2 Black Lines
23-08-2004, 16:53
Put the engine on the stand, and so far so good.

Bit gummed up inside, but knew that when I first looked at it, but, its live-able with, the crank and shells are in good nick std-std on the shells (so nobody has been there before me :nod: ),the bores look fairly fresh- from underside and even the cam looks okay - no missing lobes!!

So after 1.5 hrs of solid work to remove the inlet manifold and plenum - Free to good home if anyone wants it!! the engine is stripped enough to go into the Nissan.

The only hassle - the dipstick is on the wrong side and the sump will need modified to fit into the Nissan :rolleyes: - this time someone else can do the welding :nod:

Engine turns over with 15lbs on the torque wrench - with no plugs :) .

McRearout
25-08-2004, 06:52
:cool:

2 Black Lines
30-08-2004, 16:14
Looks as tho the standard Corvette sump (oil pan to those over the pond), will fit un-modified :) .

So with any luck, might get to drive the car this weekend.

base-1
30-08-2004, 20:28
what a project! :D good luck getting it running quickly mate

you lot though - why is a V8 alright but a cossie engine gets ripped? :P

_/_/_/M aurice
31-08-2004, 02:30
That is awesome, I know of only one other person doing a V8 into S13... and he might scrap it soon.

Good luck.

2 Black Lines
05-09-2004, 07:44
That is awesome, I know of only one other person doing a V8 into S13... and he might scrap it soon.

Good luck.Any chance you could find out what he used and is it any thing like what i'm doing?

Anyway, the Corvette sump goes in - unmodded- but the engine has to be raised 1/2 an inch, which is not a problem.

This means engine no2 is in, :) chalk up another 10 hrs into the project.

Will bolt the rest of the gubbins to it, go for start and with any luck the engine will be sound so its going to be a busy next weekend ( and might possibly appear at Santa Pod......

But not in the Nissan).

So, next weekend...... more 2 Black Lines.

Stidi
07-09-2004, 12:51
I assume from your road kill that the beast is back?

we need vids, sounds and a whole host of piccies dude :thumbs:

this has got to be the ultimate Mad S13 :wack: :nod:

2 Black Lines
08-09-2004, 08:04
Sorry, for the bit of confusion, but the road kill was in the Audi, but soon, soon the V8 mwill chalk up a victim or two. :whip:

I have an idea for the Vid, it may take some time,so watch this space.

Stidi
08-09-2004, 09:44
cheers, good to hear it :)

2 Black Lines
09-09-2004, 11:47
Took the 400 apart last night.

So the mains and big ends are shot even the copper has started coming off on a few shells, not good, the bores have some interesting scrape marks on them, not good, the head gaskets have been passing at the steam holes - this was something we tried to cure with welding skimming and drilling the heads, but the block looks interesting around the holes so it needs decked.

So if anyone has got a big door they want held open, I have an excellent door stop :wack:

So the salvageable parts are, the cam, the pushrods, the flexplate and the rockers. :(

Anyone want a V8?

arry
09-09-2004, 11:49
fcukin ell that sounds serious :(

McRearout
09-09-2004, 11:53
proof that its not just CA's that wear

Sorry to hear that mate. :(

Yak
09-09-2004, 11:56
I take it this was the old V8 not the new one?

Squizz
09-09-2004, 11:56
So if anyone has got a big door they want held open, I have an excellent door stop

Try this instead... :D

http://www.torquingcars.co.uk/table.jpg

Squizz
:notworthy (Not Worthy)

2 Black Lines
09-09-2004, 12:00
LOL @ squizz, Mrs 2 Black Lines would well, ...... dead springs to mind.

Yip, its the old one.

As posted on another thread £416.00 per mile - DOH!! :cry:

McRearout
09-09-2004, 12:05
[QUOTE=2 black lines]

Yip, its the old one.

QUOTE]

Oh good.
I thought you were talking about the new one.

2 Black Lines
14-09-2004, 15:46
Due to work, and Santa Pod, got as far as putting everything onto or into place, bar the exhaust manifold which fowls on the ( for this installation) the knock sensor :rolleyes: so a wee bit of modding with the mig next weekend will see the assembly finished.

get oil pressure, connect up the Dizzy and...

Next installment soon.

2 Black Lines
02-10-2004, 09:44
Eerrr well, new block required, crank belive it or not will save with a regrind, heads are okay, but, have 2 bent valves.

Cause - Torque wrench breaking or big end bolt shearing, but;

Not good.http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1

John Bennett
02-10-2004, 09:53
Err, that does look a tad out-of-spec :eek:

Is that from engine number 1 or 2 (please don't say the engine you just put in :( ).

:clap: for perseverance :notworthy

Oh and what do you mean by 'torque wrench' breaking?

xR33
02-10-2004, 10:09
Find a Lancia Thema 8.32 and stick that lump in (If you can find one....) :D :D :notworthy

Edit - On second thoughts don't bother....

but the real firecracker in the range was the "8.32", which borrowed a 3L V8 engine from Ferrari, much to the latter's discontent. The engine developed a healthy 215bhp, and with uprated aerodynamics, brakes and suspension, the Thema 8.32 was a good performer, with 0-60 taking a smidge over 7 seconds and the engine finally running out of puff at around 145mph.

2 Black Lines
02-10-2004, 10:14
Engine that just went in, went BANG!, well sort of CLING, CLANG, CRUNCH, BANG BANG BANG.
The torque wrench went sort of clunck rather than whacktunk( :wack: ), it was brand new ( Quality make BTW) ( and is now not reading anything like it should when tested against another torque wrench), so either its :wack: or the big end bolt has partially sheared/ stripped as Ive done it up...

But when it did run :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

So I have found another L98 ( the perfect engine for the conversion BTW, shallow sump - no welding :nod: , and has 1.96" inlet valves and 1.596" exhaust valves - get a ruler and go :eek: ).

So money permitting ( yes piggy bank is empty :( ) engine no 3 soon :rolleyes: :cry: .

2 Black Lines
02-10-2004, 10:21
Find a Lancia Thema 8.32 and stick that lump in (If you can find one....) :D :D :notworthy

Rocking horse S*** is easier to obtain.

Ill stick with Small block- a new engine,complete,in UK can be had depending on spec for around £4000 or even less.

The ex Fezza unit is :thumbs: but, I could probably build a SBC with Wieand running all steel and maybe nitrous for the cost of a crank for that one.

Phil LS
02-10-2004, 12:48
:notworthy for your perseverance.

:thumbs: to you

Martin T
02-10-2004, 17:23
I hope your car doesn;t become the v8 version of Arry's :wack:
Sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes:
Good luck on the next engine :)
Hope it goes better :)

2 Black Lines
10-10-2004, 09:39
So, many , many phone calls later and we have a deposit on another L98. :rolleyes:

When it arrives, they'll be a good check to see if its okay, maybe even get a set of ARP bolts for it as insurance :rolleyes: and it'll be dropped in, as std.

The plan will then be to find over the winter another L98 block, (shouldn't be too hard, cos the search will be in the States!!) and build up another motor. :rolleyes: from the remains of no 1 L98.

But this one will be the spec it should have had first time :nod:

Modded L98 heads
Crane 284 cam
TRW 10.5: pistions
Eagle rods 'h' beam steel
Forged crank
Roller rockers
Steel timing gear set

Should be around 350bhp or more and budget around £1000 for the bits and another 200-300 for the machining.

now where's Lingenfelter's no......

tDR
10-10-2004, 16:28
But this one will be the spec it should have had first time :nod:

Modded L98 heads
Crane 284 cam
TRW 10.5: pistions
Eagle rods 'h' beam steel
Forged crank
Roller rockers
Steel timing gear set

Should be around 350bhp or more and budget around £1000 for the bits and another 200-300 for the machining.

:notworthy - That's what I love about the yank V8's - much cheapness for decent, reliable power and torque :nod:

madcowman
11-10-2004, 20:28
looksing at the L98 - could you fit one of these power plants under the bonnet ?
http://www.mm-2000.co.uk/corvette/callaway/cal_performance.htm

2 Black Lines
12-10-2004, 06:47
The car in the pics on the site has an L98, the sort of power there talking about is quite feasable ( Callaway's figures are realistic BTW), so 245 as std is okay, but with a few relitively inexpensive mods( see spec above) , well its :D

madcowman
12-10-2004, 14:55
it sounds very impressive indeed - but you know you really want to squeeze a sledgehammer engine in :D

2 Black Lines
02-11-2004, 12:51
On its way today is a Late L98 engine, but this one has an interesting twist, it has alloy heads, so its a later L98, as slightly more power :) , and should be with me pm tomorrow.

Now that leaves me 17 days to install engine, finish off everything for the MOT, and get to the Dastek rolling road day.

Better :whip: or it'll be the Audi :rolleyes:

2 Black Lines
09-11-2004, 12:00
Well, Busy weekend, finished the remaining welding :rolleyes: , seam-sealed and ready for painting, on Saturday, and swapped all the bits over that I need to get the Corvette engine to run, Minor things like injection plenum off carb on,elec. distributor off and HEI unit on and remove all the little gubbins that a corvette would use but get in the way for my installation.

Then on Sunday bolt up to transmission and drop the whole lot into the Nissan. then connect up to car. only problem is a fouling of the bellhousing onto the bulk-head but that will soon be sorted with a revised spacer onto the engine mount.

So the new engine is probably the best yet, the heads make a big difference to the weight, have more power and better compression.

As it stands there was not enough time to complete the install and get the engine started, so, will report soon.

madcowman
09-11-2004, 12:02
Pics ?

can't wait to see/hear that beast on the road :)

2 Black Lines
15-11-2004, 06:59
For the third time this year,( :rolleyes: ) a new sound was heard - again.

The sound came from under the bonnet of an S13, ( said this before, but......)

Nothing unusual about that, ( well it is if your me.....)

The sound was from a V8......

And it lasted more than 2 mins!!! :)

An MOT becons. ( after a bit of fiddling with various bits and bobs).

But its still the Audi for the rolling road day. :(

Phil LS
15-11-2004, 08:19
nice one :thumbs:

symbol
15-11-2004, 09:57
:thumbs: :notworthy

Stidi
15-11-2004, 10:43
:smitten:

Kieran_E1
15-11-2004, 17:37
An MOT becons. ( after a bit of fiddling with various bits and bobs).

But its still the Audi for the rolling road day. :(

I'm sure you could try and make it!!! :thumbs:

fry
15-11-2004, 21:43

Hmm you planning on twin tubbys and 800hp lol good luck, soz to see blown engine

A. Waterfield
15-11-2004, 21:47
:thumbs: :cool:

2 Black Lines
16-11-2004, 06:56
Hmm you planning on twin tubbys and 800hp lol good luck, soz to see blown engine

No, but I have been looking on E-bay at superchargers..... ;)

playworker
16-11-2004, 07:41
Mmmm, need to get one with a clutch on the pulley and a big button on the gearknob to engage it :D

2 Black Lines
16-11-2004, 07:58
Mmmm, need to get one with a clutch on the pulley and a big button on the gearknob to engage it :D

The last of the V8 Interceptors.... :nod:

kkydd
17-11-2004, 08:22
ready for the next EK meet?????

2 Black Lines
17-11-2004, 11:47
ready for the next EK meet?????

With me being at the rolling road day on sat, and Mrs 2 Black Lines getting a bit touchy about spending another weekend with the car, It's probably going to be Mot'ed and taxed for December - just in time for the snow!!!

But anyway if you turn up and there's a car which is identical to Jonny(Nightrider)speed bump's and its got a 18" hole in the bonnet.....

You'll know that myth has turned into reality :nod:

Papa Lazarou
17-11-2004, 12:07
Just had a random thought. Would a Dodge Hemi go into a 200?

2 Black Lines
17-11-2004, 14:53
Not one I've ever measured, so .....

But if a SBC fits, it cant be that far away, BTW why a Hemi? Do you have one?

Papa Lazarou
17-11-2004, 15:10
Nah. But they are a legendary engine and I like the sound of 'em. All the top fuel dragster engines are based around the hemi!

2 Black Lines
29-11-2004, 06:55
We have an MOT, :) , so now we can get a tax disc, then were legal. :wack:

There are some minor problems still to sort out, like we have excessive bump-steer from the new rack position, there is still the ongoing problem with the transmission - bad selection, and now a leak, but all in all its running - but since its now at the house things can progress better - weather permitting.

So for those wanting to see and hear the beastie, there will be a short (yes another :rolleyes: ) delay, but we are progressing. :nod:

BreadBin
29-11-2004, 07:13
:notworthy

McRearout
29-11-2004, 07:32
Looking forward to hearing it.
Good work.

Kieran_E1
29-11-2004, 09:21
is wednesday a bit optimistic??

2 Black Lines
29-11-2004, 09:36
:nod: I'm going to bring the Subaru instead.

P1 WRC Prodrive - ex Colin Mcrae. :nod:

Kieran_E1
29-11-2004, 09:42
ooooooo , please please please can I have a shot , please!!!!!!! Was contemplating not coming cause I'm off work sick at moment but this could change my mind!!!!

docwra
29-11-2004, 09:46
:nod: I'm going to bring the Subaru instead.

P1 WRC Prodrive - ex Colin Mcrae. :nod:

Goddamit man buy something normal! :eek: :eek:

The 8 sounds good - top stuff :thumbs:

2 Black Lines
29-11-2004, 11:41
Yeah, its a full spec P1, tarmac suspension, Cut Slicks, Evolution tarmac upgrades, double adj shocks, Plate centre diff, disc brake, Alloy floorpan, comes with 2 full sets of wheels, spares, the only draw back is its a pull start not the electric one I was hoping for.

Oh the other thing its Richard Burns/Robert Ried, and not Colin.

Ps. It runs on Nitro methanol for the 1.5 cc engine. ( yes its an RC!!)

Oooops - forgot to mention that bit. :wack:

tDR
29-11-2004, 11:45
Ps. It runs on Nitro methanol for the 1.5 cc engine. ( yes its an RC!!)

Oooops - forgot to mention that bit. :wack:

From Bren? :)

2 Black Lines
29-11-2004, 11:53
No, One of my friends is having a clearout to finance his next project.

McRearout
29-11-2004, 11:59
I've always wanted an S13 radio controlled car to put in my boot, but can't find one :(

2 Black Lines
09-12-2004, 15:44
Anyway, back to 'proper' cars, the latest;

The drop adjusters for the steering arms I'm making at the moment - this is a must as the car is, well, dangerous. So just waiting for the tapered reamer to arrive then the links will be finished.

Battery clamp is made to hold down the slightly larger than standard battery, and the cooling is now sorted after testing during the run back from the MOT.

Making a re-designed bonnet scoop as the first attempt looked crap, and the sump/ deflector cum brace, needs a few more mounts drilled into it and its sorted.

And now that I've finally got round to putting the 4 jaw chuck on the lathe, I can re-do the transmission mounts, this time properly, and not have NVH coming thru the body-shell.

That 'just' leaves the body-work to do, now where's that ball pein?......

2 Black Lines
02-02-2005, 08:40
The story so far,

All parts made, and installed.

Steering geometry still not right, but passable (well better than it was :wack: )

So will it stop me from taxing the car?

Hell no!

This just leaves the transmission, and the Alternator :wack: The speedo, the....

But we'll get there.

Some other things have got in the way , but progress is being made.

More soon.

2 Black Lines
31-03-2005, 10:55
Story so far, yip i know your all on the edges of your seats.

As of Saturday 2nd the car will be taxed, which means the testing can begin, and we can sort out any niggles that exist - which will probably be a few, but fingers crossed!

Anyway, was going to tax the car on the first of March, but I thought that this car and snow might not be the best combination.

Pics to follow, just need to get a new backdrop!!

Gary
31-03-2005, 11:14
Just read the whole story, I salute you sir!! :D

I so can't wait to hear some good news about it, and you have it rumbling around :thumbs:

Stidi
31-03-2005, 11:40
should all be up and running well in time for JAE... this has been the one project that's made me green with envy every time i think about it :D
hope things keep progressing at this rate :) :thumbs:

Rael
31-03-2005, 12:19
**** me i just sat here for about half an hour reading this whole lot!

your certifiable mate! and for that, i salute you!

would love to see this in the flesh! and hear it...then steal it!

Kev
31-03-2005, 12:48
so its finally gonna see a meet Gordon??

2 Black Lines
31-03-2005, 15:21
If it doesn't break down on the way there, after all its a S13!

But if the next meet is Perth (or it it Dundee?), It'll be the Audi - so If anyone wants a lift....

Rael
31-03-2005, 16:10
yeah pick me up...i'm near gatwick lol

ally
31-03-2005, 16:45
Can't wait to hear this beastie on the rollers :thumbs:

2 Black Lines
02-04-2005, 16:59
Can't wait to hear this beastie on the rollers :thumbs:

Me as well :rolleyes: .

I now have a bit of paper, its approx. 3" in diameter, got a serated edge. It cost £93.50!!! :no:

Let the fun comence. :)

(wonder when it'll breakdown).

Buffy
02-04-2005, 20:46
Have fun :wack:

McRearout
04-04-2005, 07:25
piccies? (Not of the tax disk :p )

2 Black Lines
05-04-2005, 22:09
So, what did the first real test drive reveal;

Well, I have bump steer I can now feel, to some this may be a :wack: , but it is better than the feeling of steering a jelly, :nod: , so were moving in the right direction.

Transmission, still has the issues its allways had, mmmm , like no load 1st gear selection, from second gear, mmmm great noises, but :wack: .

Handling, one smilie sums it up ---- :wack: . I suppose I never really want it to handle anyway, but there has to be a happy medium, so tail out under 2nd gear at about 1/4 throttle,( i would point out at this point it was not intended - honest!!), it was raining :rolleyes: , and the tyres were cold, and required about 1 turn of opposite lock - mmmmmmm ........... :no:

Front pulley, this was damaged in the original accident from the Corvette, I really do need to put the spare - true- one on to cure the NVH coming thru the car, its not bad , but needs to be done.

I think I'll leave the supercharger till I get the above problems ironed out. :D

Dobergoose
06-04-2005, 01:24
I think I'll leave the supercharger till I get the above problems ironed out. :D
Like a narrowed back end an some 15"x15"s :nod:

ally
06-04-2005, 13:59
Transmission, still has the issues its allways had, mmmm , like no load 1st gear selection, from second gear, mmmm great noises, but :wack: .

Supposedly there are modified bellhousings made for mk3 Supra turbo manual gearboxes so that they can be used with some V8 engines. Would this be an option for you?

2 Black Lines
09-04-2005, 16:54
Supposedly there are modified bellhousings made for mk3 Supra turbo manual gearboxes so that they can be used with some V8 engines. Would this be an option for you?

With what I intend doing to the engine, my only option is a auto I'm afraid.

Thanks to Papa Lazarou :notworthy for the advice, but space is going to be kinda critical for a turbo, so Weiand + TH350 here we come....... :nod:

Now back to those steering arms.......

ColinR
09-04-2005, 20:09
:D :notworthy

Cant wait to see this!

Colin

2 Black Lines
04-05-2005, 22:37
MMmmm the expense continues....

Found the problem without having to change the torque converter, its diagosed demise was a bit premature :rolleyes: .

So, work continues on the steering assembly, - I now have toe-out!!!
and feels a lot better to drive, so onto the next part....

Why does it allways rain when i take this car out!! :wack:

more soon.

Oh and will I make the next meet??

Kev
05-05-2005, 14:42
so what was it Gordon?

And the meet will be a week from now

2 Black Lines
05-05-2005, 15:09
so what was it Gordon?

Oh just one of the ARP bolts that hold the torque converter to the ring gear :rolleyes:

And the meet will be a week from now

Better get my act together then, imagine me turning up in an S13!

Kev
05-05-2005, 15:11
the rest of us have been for months now...... only imagining ;)

2 Black Lines
12-07-2005, 09:51
So the latest as of July;

The Car has been attended to in between work and other things, the steering has been corrected but still needs more thought. Interesting things happen when you muck about with the track rod ends, :wack:

The tailgate has beeen changed for the non-rusty, non-leaky replacement and painted a black colour, the final finish will be there when I tidy up the rest of the car.

The front pulley has been changed for the spare _(from no 2 :wack: engine)

This ones straight - needs to be for the supercharger ( watch this space, he he) and now pulls all the pulleys correctly!
Now , just leaves the transmission - Arrgh! Anyone know anyone that can fix THm 200c?

Might yet take the plunge and get a thm 350, high stall, and modified body then it will take the power from the future mods.

And Kev , ( Scottish Rep person, yes YOU!, prepare to chew my tyre smoke! - should it make it to Ayr :wack: )

Wanted L98 chevy Small block (just the engine block) - must have mains caps!
Oh and its also claimed its first passenger - need to fit a chicken switch for the passengers

JCD
12-07-2005, 10:41
Now , just leaves the transmission - Arrgh! Anyone know anyone that can fix THm 200c?
You could try here: http://www.phattransmissions.com

Kev
12-07-2005, 12:29
And Kev , ( Scottish Rep person, yes YOU!, prepare to chew my tyre smoke! - should it make it to Ayr :wack: )

Well its about bloody time u lived up to ur name.
if i dont see 2 black lines of rubber on the road from a v8 s13 on thursday i will be very dissapointed:nod:

doinitsideways
12-07-2005, 18:39
more pics please :thumbs: . always thought a v8 would look cool in s13

2 Black Lines
19-07-2005, 16:14
Right the story so far.....

Car Built and running, and sounding like well..... pretty good, but there is a problem with the transmission, which is basically mince.

So on the advice of Colin the Transmission guy,( I knew this anyway, but was hoping for a miracle) its past its sell by date.

So the new plan is to get a thm 400 - this is a bullet proof and will take possibly anything I can through sat it power wise , If I can reach the heady heights of 7-800 bhp this is the chappy to have.
So a quick scour on the tinternet, and I have aquired a Thm 400, this I would probably need anyway for later modifications.....so i'm probably pre-emting the enevitable anyway just a bit of a bugger as its spoiling the whole car at the mo... so it will be aquired this weekend...

The intention is still to supercharge the engine, the most conservative estimate for power output has been around the 450 bhp mark, so this transmission shuld be more than capable of that.... and since the shell has not taken too kindly to sitting out side, I could be advancing the purchase of the S14a shell to put it into....saw some nice parts on Bren's little drifty type machine......, so lets just see how the money and time goes....

So , its more mods, more money, more time, so the appearence at the last meet won't be its last...but we'll see...

Anyone got some really , REALLY big wheels and tyres for the back of an S14a??

mammoth
19-07-2005, 17:34
what blower are you planning on using? have you got it yet?
if not then theres an excellent place in birmingham that a BDS distributor, but they can get anything your after.

A13_SXT
19-07-2005, 19:46
just read the whole thread and sir ...............you are a legend :notworthy :notworthy :thumbs:

have u got quad exhausts?? because that would look amazing!! :nod: :nod:

Kev
20-07-2005, 00:50
no he has just one single exit exhaust, and it sounds fooking lovely :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

2 Black Lines
20-07-2005, 10:58
what blower are you planning on using? have you got it yet?
if not then theres an excellent place in birmingham that a BDS distributor, but they can get anything your after.

Anything that will give up to 12psi @ 6500 rpm. :eek:

So If you have a phone no, feel free to pass it on....

mammoth
20-07-2005, 17:32
no probs. ill dig the number out. my have to get it off my mate as i know he's got it.
what displacement, exactly, are you running? i can do some calculations for you if youd like but i reckon you'll be looking at a 6-71 or 8-71, may get away with a 6v-71 but i doubt it if you want to fun 12psi through anything bigger than 300cid

2 Black Lines
20-07-2005, 22:13
no probs. ill dig the number out. my have to get it off my mate as i know he's got it.
what displacement, exactly, are you running? i can do some calculations for you if youd like but i reckon you'll be looking at a 6-71 or 8-71, may get away with a 6v-71 but i doubt it if you want to fun 12psi through anything bigger than 300cid

Lol, a 350 ex corvette motor, been talking to a few peeps and a Weiand 144 seems to be the best bet, but i'll take anything on offer tbh.

but as I said, up to 12 psi, I have enough bits bar a block to put another engine together, but i'd be looking to change a few components - pistons (7.5:1), rods crank cam etc- for the sake of reliability.... oh , and to handle the power as well...

mammoth
21-07-2005, 16:25
are you planning on running the car on the street, or is it just for dragging?

12psi is way too much for a street aplication, cause you'll need the rotors to be teflon tipped and tight aswell, this will mean if you stop in traffic it'll heat up something chronic and with the blower casing being ally, youll have all sorts of problems.
you need to drop the rpm aswell. its a v8 not a little 4banger, you'll throw it to pieces, especially if you want to run 12 psi, the compression will be far to high. i think we worked the cfm out to be 1200 cfm @6500 so youl'll probably be looking at a couple of 750's

heres the calculation for working out boost

(25.58 x cid blower x boost ratio) / cid motor then - 14.7

(think the 25.58 is right, cant quite remember)
boost ratio = bottom pully teeth/top pully teeth
or diameters depending on the drive system

the 144 is way way way too small for a 350 chevy
you'd need a boost ratio of 2.5!!!!!

in all honesty, realistically you want to be looking at running a 6v-71 at about 6psi at about 4000rpm.

on a side note, which pistons are you gonna run to get 7.5:1?

2 Black Lines
22-07-2005, 12:08
are you planning ...............

............looking at running a 6v-71 at about 6psi at about 4000rpm.

on a side note, which pistons are you gonna run to get 7.5:1?

If I get a chance over the weekend I'll dig out the bumf I have as to why I'm choosing the 144 ( or similar blower). I'll post my reply as soon as I can.

Pistons are going to be TRW 'D' dish with a cr of 7.55:1 using the heads I have.

mammoth
22-07-2005, 21:13
ah, you must have the larger spec heads then.
ive got a 351 that im gonna supercharge but the only dish one id found (-13.00cc) were still only getting me down to 9:1 think i may just have to build it n/a or keep the boost down.
if you seriously want to run that much boost then you'll need a bigger charger than that. the model number relates to the cid of the blower (IIRC) you need to look at getting either a 6v-71 or a 6-71. 6v will be cheaper. 6-71 has 426cid so that'll do nicely.
the other problem you'll have is cause you want lots off boost you'll need to move lots of air. this will require a large blower. you'll need to make quite a trick manifold because your running a chev and there will be problems with the dizzy
would be interested to have a read of the info you've got so if you could post it up or send me a link if its on a site then that would b great.
regards

2 Black Lines
30-07-2005, 08:30
Mammoth and other peeps,

Right blower selection. (sorry for not coming back earlier)

Two ways basically to go small blower and make it go fast, or big blower and turn it slower ( relative to crankshaft speed that is).

I'm simplifiying this and if its facually incorrect I've got a fire - extinghusher handy for the impending 'shooting down in flames bit'.

I've chosen a 144, because it moves enough air - approx displacement of 410cu in / rev and can be had as a kit from Holley, so no more fabricating of bits and pieces to make something work. the sizing is covered in 'Street Supercharging- how to install and tune blowers- by Pat Ganahl ( how come all the yanks have got great names, - Smokey Yunick, Don Garlits, Mike Kuhl, Cole Trickle :wack: ... etc) Anyway this size of blower can make up to 10 psi on my engine - more than adequate- uses a single carb- and boost can be varied easly with a change of pulleys aailable form Weiand. A177 may be better but ??? don't know if one became available cheap???

Another reason that although there are blow thru systems about - paxton/ vortech etc... I prefer the simplicity of a suck thru system - well it looks simplier to me anyway.

For carburation it uses a single 700 cfm Holley, fairly crude but simple, very easy to set up a v. little to get wrtong with me interfering with it!

For engine mods its basically a set of lower compression pistons - TRW 7.55:1 d cups, a set of decent rods scat or Eagle or if funds permit Carillos ( but these are maybe OTT) I have a choice of two steel cranks I already have, the heads will be cleaned up 202's with some decent valves already there. a cam suited to the blower may be added but is not top of the list, more important is the valve train to ensure that the blower doesn't explode with a back-fire ( it is afterall loaded with fuel and air under preassure and well I like my head...

So I'll probably be replacing the springs as part of the rebuild just as a matter of course , the cam kits have springs so.... might as well change the cam anyway...

Try this linky if your interested...

www.holley.com

2 Black Lines
30-07-2005, 09:04
Oh and the thm 400 ( transmission) I picked up last weekend, should with any luck be in the car next weekend... make prop and off we go again - this time with gears.

Might even buy a line lock. :nod:

2 Black Lines
02-08-2005, 18:58
Go also here

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/The_Guide_to_carburetion_5480.cfm

Kieran_E1
02-08-2005, 19:15
bring me brolly back in this!!!

2 Black Lines
02-08-2005, 21:51
bring me brolly back in this!!!

Lol, might need it when it breaks down!

2 Black Lines
05-09-2005, 21:42
So, the transmission is almost in, torque converter fit problems , of a strange degree - well it won't fit onto the pump drive after nearly an hours worth of trying.... :cry:

So new torque converter , courtesy of B& M holeshot with a 2400 rpm stall, should handle the power with ease , ( it is designed for blower outputs!!), has had a trial fit, well two actually, one to see, the other to make sure it actually fitted first time, time taken 2 mins, arrgh!

But the bad news, the shell when up on the ramp is poorer than we first imagined - its fubed...So the advancement of a new shell has been brought forward.

So watch this space, .....

To be continued.

Pipe and slippers no longer required.

Kev
06-09-2005, 00:42
Pipe and slippers no longer required.

YEY :D :D :D

2 Black Lines
19-09-2005, 13:51
The Black Car is no more. :cry:

The engine is out, and the car is basically getting stripped of all the goodies. I pick up the replacement shell tomorrow night, and commence work on the Final S13 build.

There's not really, that much to do as there's no welding to be done :D , and a little bit of painting for the panels that I'll be using (the bonnet with the hole in it, Tailgate, front bumper, etc etc

Just a new fuel pump to go in, Carter 100 gallons per hour! new fuel lines - 1/2 inch dia, and the rest of the gubbins for the V8.

Also putting in finally the TH 400 as well, :D

So not much to report, apart from reshelling the car....

John Dixon
26-09-2005, 21:01
Christ Gordon, didn't know you were still going with this!!
Last time I saw it was up at John's ages ago. Nice work :D
Should be back up there sometime soon so will try to catch up.
Oh, and with a bit of luck should be in my 5l, 32 valve, 8500rpm V8 300ZX. :nod:

RohanC
26-09-2005, 21:05
Ohhh, missed these updates! Good luck with the reshell.

v8 300zx... nice! you got any build pics or such like?

John Dixon
26-09-2005, 21:12
Not yet, but will have loads. Still waiting on some critical parts like dry sump pump and pistons, but car is stripped and ready.

2 Black Lines
27-09-2005, 10:14
Christ Gordon, didn't know you were still going with this!!
Last time I saw it was up at John's ages ago. Nice work :D
Should be back up there sometime soon so will try to catch up.
Oh, and with a bit of luck should be in my 5l, 32 valve, 8500rpm V8 300ZX. :nod:
Pah , only 5 litres....... :wack:

Should be good, John like to see it- and with The slim one only having 3 litres and 2 turbo's ...... wasted.

He he

rxv8
03-10-2005, 17:40
2 black lines...i have an rx7 and have fitted a 5.7sbc in mine... yours sounds cool... do u have a web page or msn messenger... can ypu pm me messenger so we can have a chat...cheers...whats ur location...

2 Black Lines
04-10-2005, 06:48
2 black lines...i have an rx7 and have fitted a 5.7sbc in mine... yours sounds cool... do u have a web page or msn messenger... can ypu pm me messenger so we can have a chat...cheers...whats ur location...
Hi RXV8, sorry don't have MSN and the full story is here - well most of it - yours is a good car to do it in - massive engine bay. If you lookk on here from time to time you can get updates on the progress....
Located in Glasgow btw.

So far..... the new shell is partially stripped of all the stuff I don't need for the V8 insertion - that little thing with a heat sink in it - lhs strut tower, the dollop of wiring for the injectors, the other stuff with pipes on it.... but going in is the rear carpet, the back panel, and a few bits and bobs.... the new fuel line has been made, 1/2id bore to go with the new pump, the new transmission cooler lines have been made, to make it a bit neater, so its starting to come together.

DaV
04-10-2005, 13:03
my finger hurts from all the scrolling, and my eyes from reading all 12 pages :wack: but was worth it.
this is gonna be a beast of a car when its finished :thumbs:
best of luck to you :)

mammoth
04-10-2005, 17:47
have you got your blower yet? are you still thinking about going for the weiand kit?
i got my 6-71 over the weekend for £350.

2 Black Lines
05-10-2005, 06:41
:cry: No not yet..

Does he have another for a SBC?? :wack: thats cheap btw, good one :thumbs:

rxv8
05-10-2005, 16:24
my mates got a 924 porshe with a 5.8 chevy and he is in the process of fitting a procharger supercharger to his... might suit you also...

2 Black Lines
05-10-2005, 17:22
mmmm, I see your friends have the V8 disease as well.. lol

Yip, looked at the centrifugal types as well, but I still prefer having it Mad Max stylee thru the bonnet. But if one came up....

Sounds like the Porsche could be a laugh though, how did he work the back end??

Spartan-117
07-10-2005, 12:24
I like this thread and when i saw this on ebay i thought of you v8 nut's.

Slap this baby in a 200sx
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Big-Block-454-Chevrolet-Engine-4500-miles-on-rebuild_W0QQitemZ4580346413QQcategoryZ18301QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

its a ebay link by the way!!

2 Black Lines
08-10-2005, 07:43
I like this thread and when i saw this on ebay i thought of you v8 nut's.

Slap this baby in a 200sx
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Big-Block-454-Chevrolet-Engine-4500-miles-on-rebuild_W0QQitemZ4580346413QQcategoryZ18301QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

its a ebay link by the way!!

Nice, but ...... its a BIG block!! lol mmmmmmm if only it would fit in....

So Currently awaiting the DoT to come to the old shell so I can get my plate off the car, then Black car is gone :cry:, then its onto red car :), a few more goodies have been added to the pile.... :D but as yet no sale of kit car, therefore no supercharger....

Spartan-117
10-10-2005, 12:13
Pitty the shell is shagged. I realy like pure black s13's.

2 Black Lines
07-11-2005, 15:28
Started to work on getting the car back on the road again.

Subframe properly welded, :rolleyes:and strengthened. Got the (for now ) std shocks on the rear, just to move the car about on - rolling that is, and got all the panels in the one place to paint :wack: .

Oh and got this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8007522079&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

He he.

I might not use it at the end of the day, but...... at that money, It will come in handy just in case. :whip:

So, its on to getting the car running again, and getting it sorted before taking the engine back out to 'sort' properly.

markbs13
07-11-2005, 16:33
completly lost for words incredible :thumbs:

mammoth
07-11-2005, 19:19
i knew you'd go detroit deisel in the end :thumbs:

the question is, will it be 6-71 or 8-71

go 8-71, sprinkle a little nitro through it and you can do over 200mph with the right rear axle :D

2 Black Lines
07-11-2005, 20:40
ssshhh! but watch this space......

Might just have a 8-71, to go with it..... :eek:

2 Black Lines
11-11-2005, 13:51
ssshhh! but watch this space......

Might just have a 8-71, to go with it..... :eek:

STOP PRESS

Arrived today( courtesy of ebay), 31 kgs of 8-71. :D

2 Black Lines
13-11-2005, 21:59

STOP PRESS

Arrived today( courtesy of ebay), 31 kgs of 8-71. :D

Which happens to be a 8V-71......... which with a bit of bodging could could fit the manifold ..... but..... then again.......

mammoth
14-11-2005, 16:20
how much did you get it for?
if you'd said you were gonna go that route i could have got you one for next to nothing. i know where three are sat doing nothing cause no one wants them.

2 Black Lines
14-11-2005, 17:54
The problem is my manifold is a 8-71 not a 8v71, my mistake ( i was in plonker mode), but I can always put it on something else ( the fiat :wack: )...... read thru a couple of the american sites parts to put a 8v on something are pretty scarce, so I'll continue with building the car up and getting it ready for the proper install, cos I've still got lots to do anyway.
But if a 8-71 comes up......