PDA

View Full Version : Blown Turbo?

Rossy
07-08-2001, 09:30
Anyone know the symtoms of a blown turbo (or poss a turbo Gasket?)....

Boost seems to have dropped, there is a 'blowing' sound coming from under that long bit of metal in front of the windscreen....er the bonnet.

There is no smoke so I dont think its anything major...and I'm off to Norris Designs next week anyway. Does this sound like a problem with the Turbo or could it be somthing more serious?

------------------
Ross
'97 S14a

Mike_L60
07-08-2001, 12:49
I am not realyy qualified to answer this but I won't let that stop me giving it a go!

From other posts one symptom of a blown turbo is a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. Don't know about a blown gasket (and don't want to find out!) My S14 lost power and started to misfire esp a high revs - this was eventually diagnosed as a slit intercooler pipe. As the split got worse the symptoms got worse. Unfortunately I let a Nissan garage fix it so I don't know which pipe was replaced.

------------------
Mike_L60
Red S14 95

Rossy
08-08-2001, 07:44
Cheers Mike,

Although there is no smoke so maybe its somthing else....bugger.

There does not seem to be a great loss of power, but somthing is certainly not right....

Its down at Norris Designs next week so I should be able to find out then..

------------------
Ross
'97 S14a

19-08-2001, 00:11
Hiya,

I had the same symptoms with my 95 200sx S14, which got progressively worse.
Turned out to be a cracked exhaust manifold (not cheap to replace).
I had that replaced and the blowing noise stopped, but then a week later, a crack on the intercooler pipe developed :-(
It's all sorted now. My guess would be the manifold.

Si

Paul_S13
19-08-2001, 07:33
It sounds like the turbo to manifold gasket to me, its very unlucky if you have a cracked manifold and I haven't heard of that happening much. I had a gasket go on my S13, it cost about £13 for a gasket and its a bitch to change. To check it all you have to do is when the car is cold start it up and put your hand down by the turbo, you should be able to feel the exhaust gasses hit your hand. WARNING don't do this if the car has been running for a while, and you will only have a few seconds to put your hand there before it starts getting a bit toasty down there! And I don't want anyone hurt now http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif.

Jon
19-08-2001, 11:47
My 95 S14 had had a cracked manifold before I bought it. Someone had done a welded repair which lasted a few minutes.

I was told (before I found the board) that this is actually common. Manifolds are rocking horse **** as the SR engines are sold complete from scrappers.
I eventually found one in Teeside by using one of the £1 a minute telephone services.

Rossy
21-08-2001, 12:09
Well, it was a Turbo gaskett but £1,100 later I have a ND Super Hybrid T28.

There must ahve been a lot of wear on the old Turbo as the replacment has made a huge difference....I like it I like it I like it!

------------------
Ross
'97 S14a
HKS Super Dragger Exhaust
HKS Induction Kit
HKS Iridium Plugs
ND Turbo Actuator
ND T28 Super Hybrid Turbo
Eibach Springs
Skyline R33 330mm Brake Discs with Brembo Calipers
18'' Alloy Wheels
Clear Front and Side Indicators