PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption

RichardM
03-08-2001, 07:53
Seems we haven't had a thread on this subject,and is i've just noticed the need for a top up.
I'm adding 1/2 pint (say 250 ml) every 1500 miles or so.
My old Alfa 146 with a boxer engine had rather more thirst and a litre every 1,000 miles was allegedly within manufacturers tolerances, anyway what are all you other SR20DET drivers getting especially the modded ones?

------------------
RichardM
1997 Purple S14
http://www.animfactory.com/animations/people_a_l/cops_robbers/animal_cop_using_speedgun_md_clr.gif
Remember, be careful out there!

Tom_S14
03-08-2001, 09:04
Hmmm.. I don't loose anything between oil changes - usually more like 6k miles than the 3k miles I should do them at.
I over-filled by a small amount (say 1mm over max) last time, been hoping some of it will go - but I've done maybe 2k miles since, and it's exactly the same.

Tom

JohnD76
03-08-2001, 11:51
I don't loose anything either. Which was a real plsser when I bought the car, since I wanted to put Slick 50 in it. Just gave up in the end.... It is still on a shelf at home!

------------------
John (S14a)
Blitz Nur Spec R, SUS, MSTT, Dump Valve, and other tit bits..
222.8hp @ 6062 RPM
206.2lb ft @ 4755 RRM
http://mysmilies.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi?cwm/cwm

Dark S14
03-08-2001, 12:12
Dito !! Mine uses fook all as well between oil changes, which are done religously every 4000 miles.

Tom_S14
03-08-2001, 14:48
John,
Don't want to write anything anyone could get taken to court over, but slick-50 contains small teflon particles - allegedly developed by DuPont for a differenet purpose.
Apparently, these teflon particles expand quite a lot when hot, and are also prone to aggregating. These effects in combination can apparently cause blockages in oil filters/small oilways.
Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Tom

Brucemc
18-08-2001, 14:34
Same here, no usage at all. I thought i had a problem as the ic pipes were all covered with a film of oil , but i guess it doesnt take much oil to make a good mess. This must have come through the crankcase blow valve so i added a el-cheapo fuel filter as a oil air seperator in the line to catch any. A yr later and there is just a small amount in the filter.

Another thing about oil and changing.
When i used to change the oil it began to not take the full 3.5l, the dipstick would show full after about 3l.(This was finding it way overfull after a change twice doh)
I was getting suspicious and put a can of flush through first. Behold it now took the full 3.5l. Dunno maybe the sr20 has fine galleries or something that had got blocked.

Bruce