PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Rattles - any ideas ??

MrVertigo
22-07-2001, 09:53
I have noticed that immediately after firing up the engine there is a short period of rattle before the engine settles down to a smooth purr. Is this normal ??

Also for about the first 10 minutes I have noticed that any brisk acceleration brings fortha higher pitched rattle from the engine bay - but it disappears when the engined has warmed up. Any ideas - is it the turbo getting warmed up or a lubrication problem ??

Cookie
22-07-2001, 10:12
Get the heat shield on the turbo checked for the rattle most likley or one of the heat shields under the engine bay may have some stone in it (had this happen before), Whine sounds like turbo is low on lube, Best as with any turbo is not to user it hard until it the car has warmed up a bit, Magnatec oil works well in a 200sx.

Spaniel
22-07-2001, 14:02
On one of the other threads Kenny? who works at dealer said that Magnatec was bad in a 200. I don't know myself.

------------------
Jon in Dewsbury
'95 Blue/green S14
Unleaded forever !! http://mysmilies.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi?cwm/cwm

MrVertigo
22-07-2001, 16:56
Thanks

------------------
But officer it says on the log book "Tear down dotted line".....

Spaniel
22-07-2001, 17:03
There have been various earlier threads about a rattle from the variable valve timing. It seems to occur as you try to set off rather than as the engine starts. My car has a mild case.

Various people have had this fixed but no-one has said what happens if it breaks. Anyone know?

I've no high pitched noise but have had various rattly exhaust shroud moments.

------------------
Jon in Dewsbury
'95 Blue/green S14
Unleaded forever !! http://mysmilies.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi?cwm/cwm

RichardM
23-07-2001, 07:51
Apart from the noisy VVT problem , the ABS system also sets itself as you drive away so prior to moving off and pressurisation there is a "tapping"

Cookie
24-07-2001, 05:00
For Ref had a 122K miler.
No engine problems and most of its life used Magnatec. (Sold due to body rust)