PDA

View Full Version : Tyre question

Dcee
03-09-2001, 19:47
Got the '98 S14a last week, and the dealer had fitted 4 new tyres. The car appears to have the standard alloys which the book says takes 205/55R16 tyres. However, the dealer has fitted Kumho Ecsta 225/50ZR16's. Is this OK on the standard alloys, or have I perhaps got wider than standard wheels fitted??

cheers

Dave

goosegog
03-09-2001, 20:38
I think (not sure and I can't be arsed to look) that the std wheels are 7" wide. It should say on the wheel centre

Wider tyres will give more grip in the dry but will be a bit more wibbly wobbly in the sidewalls than the correct tyre. It's all down to taste!

Ferg

------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GOOSEGOG - Daily Updated Webcam!
Car Stuff - Internet Radio - Links - Photos
ICQ" TARGET=_blank>www.goosegog.com
ICQ</A> : 53955601

Daniel san
03-09-2001, 22:47
Standard rims are a 6.5" and personally I wouldn't be happy with a 225 tyre on it, I don't think it would sit right on the rim.

------------------
Dan
www.puresx.co.uk

'98 Saphire Blue S14 (manual of course)
Far too many mods to list here, it takes up far too much space and after being asked very nicely I've decided to shorten the sig (Is that a WOOHOO I hear??)
I, have NO SMELLY TREE, have no plans for a smelly tree and do not want a smelly tree, EVER!!!
Do not take offence to anything I say, even though I probably mean it. I am more than slightly mad, so just chill de feck oooot, ok!

geoffs14
04-09-2001, 10:16
I have 225/50 BF Goodrich Profilers on standard rims on the rear with no problem. Huge improvement in wet road grip and noticeably wider.

Tom_S14
04-09-2001, 11:02
Hmm, I'm thinking I might try some 225 next time. More grip in the wet would be seriously useful. Don't know if it's a weight distribution thing, but the S14 doesn't have as much grip at the back as a 944S2 or a 328s. (both very similarly powered cars)

Tom

Dcee
04-09-2001, 18:43
Rang the Nissan dealer where I bought the car - was told that a 225/50ZR16 has about the same rubber as a 205/55R16 and is fully compatible with the standard wheel, but obviously has more of the rubber on the road.

I might get another professional opinion just for my own peace of mind - I get a bit paranoid where my safety's concerned!

Dave