PDA

View Full Version : INTERCOOLER UPGRADE £10?

David
12-10-2001, 19:29
Yup will soon be running not one but two intercooooooolers. Standard elcrapo one and wait for it...a Fait Marea Intercooler from the beakers at £10. Well its one and a half time the size of the orig, plus still using the orig. Plumbing is being done week on sunday.(should be fun) I'll let you know the results PSi increase etc before and after. Just call me Mr. Cheep scate, but 700 quid for a bolt on one? Rather speed that on getting the Porsche SC back on the road!

Paul_S13
14-10-2001, 06:40
Why run two intercoolers, the standard IC has terrible flow characteristics.

Tom_S14
15-10-2001, 10:42
What if you connect the intercoolers up in parallel rather than one after the other ?
That way the flow problems will be reduced http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif
.. only thing is not sure how you'd plumb this in, you'd need some huge T pieces or something.
Tom

------------------
1996 Blue/Green S14 (manual)
K&N cone filter
2.5" Tube-torque Cat Back Exhaust.
TechTom MDM-100
Race-Technology AP-22
http://tom.marshall.tripod.com

Paul_S13
15-10-2001, 11:05
The hoses would cost a fortune and where the hell would you put all that pipework, I know the S14 has more room than the S13 but not that much.

Nick_Walczak
15-10-2001, 12:36
The ND website says that you need to replace the intercooler because of the internal restriction it causes. At higher revs, it can't get over 10psi boost. Have two in line might reduce the air temp more but would cause other problems. If the Fiat one is better than the 200SX one then take the 200SX one out altogether.

N

dave_s13
15-10-2001, 16:15
2 IC's in series will double the resistance, 2 ICs in parrallel will have the same resistance but flow twice as nuch air.

kerfumph
15-10-2001, 22:16
Yep thats what I'm doing, 2 in parallel,cant be worse than one and most of the restriction is in the pipes I think, far too many 90 degree bends. 2 standard ones will fit easy in front of the rad on an s13 with 2 custom manifolds/pipes.

David
15-10-2001, 22:19
Hum.....not to sure what to do now..
But one thing I can say is there a LOT more room in the S13 than the S14 not the other way round, unless thats what you ment..

May consider binning the orig and just live with the fait one as mounted better and has bigger core. Not sure on the air flow of the fait one. I anyone can shed light??? I've studdled to find much info on the Fait Marea intercooler..

Cheers for the feedback though... rethink time and research time agian(still booked in on Sunday though)

------------------
P reg, K&N, Straight though Exhaust(tube talk), boost gauge, boost controller, modid front grill, bayley dump,1100wat sub(parcel shelf rattles like hell)14PSi ???BHP neck snapper!
http:\\www.netcomuk.co.uk/~daross\my200sx.jpg

Ninja
15-11-2001, 17:56
What about using the ic from a turbo diesel truck like a Merc sprinter, it`s pretty big, maybe too big but I have one at work and it`s front mounting will have to see if it will fit,should cool well just depends on how it flows