PDA

View Full Version : What a day

PB_S14
03-07-2001, 17:12
Decided to take a day off work today. Decided I'd go off to my local motor tax office and tax my car. Stuck in Dublin traffic for an hour, eventually get there and realise I've forgotten my wallet to pay the freakin thing. Bad start.

Ah well, I say, never mind. Car's due a 3000 mile oil change so I buy some synthetic oil and a Nissan oil filter an begin the jolly chore.

An hour and a half later with grazed knuckles, a useless new oil filter gripper and soaked to the bone by a day that decided to turn sodden I begin to wish I'd stayed at work.

How do you get that flaming filter off? There's sweet f.a. room to manoeuver, unlike my last S13. I presume there's a better gripper than the one I bought so somebody please point me in the right direction.

Also, as I'd drained out all the old oil before discovering my mechanical inadequacies, I now have new oil but an old oil filter as I needed to use it. Is this a problem for the next 3000 miles?

And does anyone know the meaning of life?

bone
03-07-2001, 21:55
I've always found that the nylon type of oil filter grabbers work best if not just lose your temper and nock a long screwdriver through it!!

...Unfortunately there is no meaning to life, it's like changing your oil filter - it gets all messey towards the end!

Tom_S14
04-07-2001, 12:48
It's a pain in the arse, and a bloody small filter too. Last time I used a chain type thing from halfords with a 6" extension bar. Not much room, but it can just about be wedged in.
Don't get a replacement filter from halfords or somewhere either, it looks like it might fit (and the can is bigger http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif ) but you'll have to disconnect the alternator +ve lead to get it to fit on.
For a car that needs new oil more often you'd have thought it would be a bit easier !

Tom

Bean
04-07-2001, 13:19
Best oil filter remover I've come across is a metal handle with a leather strap. Other than that a screwdriver and hammer.

I used to have patience a long time ago, before I bought a car!

------------------
Red 1995/S14
K&N, Private Plate