PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove the front facia ?

michaelj
24-06-2001, 11:02
Hi,

I'm trying to change the radio to my minidisc player, and in order to remove the already changed unit, I'll need to remove the plastic that covers the radio/cubby.

The biggest problem seems to be that the lighter unit is firmly attached somewhere, and I really don't want to pull firmly on anything until I know I have to.

Is there a straightforward way to remove the various centre console facias ?

I've got a haynes on order, but I didn't want to wait that long.

Thanks,

Michael.

David_S14
24-06-2001, 12:17
There is one screw behind the ashtray and two above the head unit. Have you removed the trim from the top of the center console (where the vents are) as this hides the two above the head unit? The top trim just clips in so you can just pull it out. Tip the vents so they point down, put your fingers in the bottom of the vent and also under the row of switches (heated rear window etc). The vents and the switches pull out with the trim. You can then see the top two screws of the head unit surround.
To get the wires off the back of the ciggy lighter you have to squeeze the tab on the black plastic clips. Then they just pull off.
Is that what you need to know ?

AFAIAK there is no haynes for the S14. There is the full Nissan service manual on the net or I can sort you out a copy if you mail me your address.

------------------
David Cater
1995 S14
K&N,Mongoose,HKS pump,Blitz FATT-S
RLTC (when I get it fitted http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/wink.gif ).

[This message has been edited by David_S14 (edited 24-06-2001).]

michaelj
24-06-2001, 15:32
Hi.

I have removed the vent unit, and found the screws. I removed them, but it didn't seem very mobile - probably because I didn't remove the lighter unit. I'll try to squeeze the plastic clips next, and see if it helps.

If you can point me to the manual on the net, I'd be grateful. I'm sure it'll take no time via ADSL ;o)

Thanks for the help.

Michael.

DJFish
24-06-2001, 19:50
Michaelj,
Hello mate, I had to do the same thing today as my autochanger lead had come adrift at the back of the unit, it's pretty much as above;

1.Pull out vent/heater control unit, as above it just pulls out, then remove the two visible screws.

2. Remove plastic trim around gear knob, lift from the back then lever upwards as it slots in at the front, remove the two visible screws.

3. Pull out ashtray and remove the screw behind.

The entire stereo can now be eased out of position.

Good Luck

Dave

------------------
http://www.3dpcgames.com/cwm/s/otn/animals/fish.gif

Black Almera GTi/Blue S14

michaelj
25-06-2001, 12:04
Originally posted by DJFish:
2. Remove plastic trim around gear knob, lift from the back then lever upwards as it slots in at the front, remove the two visible screws.

Hi Dave.

The right-hand side of the back of the gear knob plastic surround (still with me ?) lifts easily, but the whole left side seems very attached. What's it all secured with.

If I apply greater force to the back, is anything likely to snap, and if so, will some supa-glue sort it out ?

I really don't want to knacker it just yet.

I've found all of the other screws, so I just need these bottom two now.

Thanks for the help.

Michael.

David_S14
25-06-2001, 16:27
Nissan service manual (S13 ans S14) http://www.silvia.hl.com.au/techinfo.shtml
I'm on a CM and its only 22MB so about 4mins.

------------------
David Cater
1995 S14
K&N,Mongoose,HKS pump,Blitz FATT-S
RLTC (when I get it fitted ;) ).

michaelj
30-06-2001, 17:03
Thanks all. Finally got around to following the advice, and replaced the head unit on the stereo.

I'm glad I didn't persist in trying to remove it using the security keys, as it was screwed in ;o)

It seems the previous owner didn't pay quite as much attention, as two screws were rattling loose, as their posts had just been snapped, so if anyone can advise where (apart from a breakers) to get facia replacement panels, I'd be grateful.

And the service manual is great !

Thanks again.

Michael.