PDA

View Full Version : Lamda sensor.. getting it out !

Tom_S14
27-05-2001, 18:07
Hi,
Well, since the MOT failed my car on fast idle (I reckon they're a bunch of lying bastards - but anyway...) better check the lamda sensor out - get rid of any soot all over it, maybe have to change it etc...
But HOW !?
Finally through elimation realise I want a long reach 23mm socket, get the plug apart to get the wires out, shove the terminals through the top of the socket.. but DOH ! How's much half inch extension bar going to fit in the socket with 3 wires dangling out the top ?!
Hmmm... answer must be saw a slot in the side of the socket so the leads can exit ?
Does anyone know if I can buy a socket to do this, or do (a) people just chop the leads off and fit a standard 23mm socket to remove the sensor and hand tighten a new one back in again, or (b) do people really saw the sides out of sockets !?
I must be missing something here... someone tell me I'm being a retard... anyone know ?

Tom

Stevecarter200
27-05-2001, 18:34
Errr, I dont know how much room you have to pay with but have you tried a 23mm/ adjustable spanner. http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Blue '89 S13, T28,
HKS IC, Mongoose,
Pipercross

Tom_S14
28-05-2001, 14:39
No room for a spanner ! http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/frown.gif
Been told today while I was at tube torque that manufacturers are keen on putting thread stripping washers on so when you take the sensor out you have to bin it ! Nice of them huh ? The advice was leave it alone and try a different MOT testing centre... one which isn't interested in /can't fix the car !

Tom

Kenny_s13
28-05-2001, 18:41
Why should the Lambda sensor be at fault?, why not just get someone(Nissan) to put a consult on the engine and run a diagnostic, it may just need a reset and the ecu memory cleared. Then you know for sure , before you pull off the wrong thing and bugger it up. The lambda sensor is expensive . esp if you strip it by using the wrong tool.

Jez
29-05-2001, 11:56
You need a lambda sensor socket. £5 +VAT from www.fuel-parts.co.uk (http://www.fuel-parts.co.uk)

Tom_S14
29-05-2001, 15:24
Hi,

I've got a techtom MDM-100 plugged in my consult port. In runs like a consult unit in data monitoring mode. I can see exactly how the lamda sensor is reading, and according to the service manual should oscillate between rich and lean at about 5Hz. They say if it doesn't then bin it. Well, mine seems a bit sluggish, not quite upto 5 times a sec. So, I thought I'd take it out, clean it up a bit and see if it was any better. Basically it's oscillating around 0.5V, which, if the sensor is working is correct.

I've booked it in somewhere else now, I don't trust the Nissan garage at all. They aren't interested in doing a test without making any money on it. They failed the braking system because the front pads were almost down to the wear indicator ! Big deal ! Didn't fail the roller test, they just didn't like the look of them and wanted to sell me some more ! Crazy !
Cheers Jez, I'll get a socket from fuel parts, I think new sensor is about 50 quid or something ?

Tom

Kenny_s13
29-05-2001, 19:35
Not suprising that they want to charge you, they are in business to make money, however our chaps would have advised you about the pads, and only failed it if they were very low. And the correct socket is a heavy duty job with (guess what)a 3mm wide slot up the side. Plus we would have probably done the consult FOC, just so you knew what the prob was. Incidentally passing the roller test does not an MOT pass get, if in the testers opinion the pads were in a dangerous condition he can fail the car. Notwithstanding unscrupulous people. good luck with the sensor( you will prob have a queue of people wanting to borrow a certain socket!!

Tom_S14
30-05-2001, 08:12
Kenny,
Yeah, I guess Nissan dealers don't exactly pay the salary bill by passing MOTs at 34 quid a time ! I wish there was a bit more consistency between testing centres though.
Got my facts a bit wrong about the lamda sensor, should oscillate between rich and lean 5 times in 10 seconds, 0.5Hz, so mine is definitely fine.
Might buy the socket anyway, useful thing to have isn't it ?
Tom

Kenny_s13
30-05-2001, 18:55
Actually Tom, Mot book time is an hour, and aprt from paying the tech, the only other cost is the cert at about 85p each , the rest is profit. ( it dont take long for the overheads to get paid off ) And for £5 the socket may be useful. To be honest s14'S rarely fail gas tests. Our chaps were very suprised to hear of your prob. Usual fail with an S14 is worn out rear tyres and brakes, (I wonder why) hehe.

Tom_S14
01-06-2001, 07:23
Well, half an hour to go before the next MOT ! They said at the nissan place it might have been because of the back box blowing, since the analyser probe goes up the tail pipe. New exhaust, fingers crossed, looks to me like it's fine, sits there at any constant revs lean, rich, lean, rich as you'd expect..

Tom