PDA

View Full Version : Rattling when taking off....

Actual_Ben_Taylor
24-05-2001, 07:47
Noticed this one in Tom's thread.

Does this refer to the slight grating/rattling noise that sometimes happens when pulling away in first or reversing?

What is this, and can I get it fixed on warranty?

Cheers,

Ben

JohnD76
24-05-2001, 10:35
I too have the same problem and I think it is the clutch release bearing.

I mentioned this to the Nissan garage shortly after I bought the car, and suprise suprise, they couldn't hear it. I left the car with them over night and they still couldn't hear it. Picked the car up the next car, put it in reverse and ***Grate*** (Grating sound), but they still couldn't hear it.....

Have just taken received the car back from Nissan after thy have had it for 48 hours to replace a wheel bearing under warranty. The bearing was replaced and then they found problems with the ABS thingamyjig too. They removed this and it was broken(?!?!?). Unforunately, they did not have the part, and I left the car with them over night....

Phew to cut a long story short, the ABS and wheel bearing have been replaced, but they did not look at the clutch. Nor even mention it when I collected the car...

If this is the same problem as yours, and your nissan dealer does not have selective deafness and repairs the bearing/replaces the clutch under warranty; please let me know. Since I have 1 month left on my warranty.

Failing thatI am going to go for a fast road clutch......

My clutch creates a weering sound when not in use, which stops when I engage the clutch. This is apparently a trade mark or a dodgy clutch bearing.....

Hope this helps,
John.

Actual_Ben_Taylor
24-05-2001, 11:22
Yeh, its a bit weird mine only does it occasionally. I thought it was just my bad driving! I'm taking it back to get the alorm fixed (remote central locking has stopped working!) so I think I'll mention it then.

Cheers,

Ben

------------------
Black '98 S14

JB
24-05-2001, 11:33
If you're referring to a short rattle on take off when the car has been standing for 30 minutes or more, mine does this. I read in a 200sx FAQ somewhere that it's to do with the variable valve timing.

Now I'm not mechanically minded at all and may be talking complete crap.

Am taking the car into Nissan for them to have a look at (assuming they have anyone there who knows anything about mechanics)

------------------
JB
2000 Emerald S14

JohnD76
24-05-2001, 11:41
If you guys get anywhere with Nissan and get it replaced under warranty, please let me know.

thanks,

John.

Daniel san
25-05-2001, 17:37
Guys, that grating sound you get, I find most noticable when getting it into reverse, is the release bearing. It comes and goes at will.

------------------
Dan
www.puresx.co.uk

Tom_S14
25-05-2001, 17:44
Yeah,
My release bearing is bust too. Some days it's quiet, some days it's awful. Designed to fail, side load on the bearing whenever you use the clutch - they don't like it up 'em http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif
I'm just going to wait for mine to die and have a new clutch put in it. Not worth the hassle taking the gearbox off just to replace a release bearing. I wouldn't be suprised to hear that Mr. Nissan has selective hearing, my local place are a cheeky bunch too.
I pulled the rubber off the clutch control arm hole on the side of the gearbox to see if I could see it, but no luck. It can sound a bit gay, but when I get my new exhaust it should be well and truly drowned out http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif
Tom

JohnD76
26-05-2001, 11:50
Am thinking about replacing the clutch with either a Stage 1 unit or fast road clutch, since I do think the release bearing is the culprit. Has any one got/used either of these.

I do like racing people form the lights, if they are being ar5eholes, not every time. But also want to car to be drivable and not have to exert my entire body weight on the clutch to change gear.

I thought, I might match this with a quick shift too, cause I find getting into 3rd can be a pain sometimes. Anyone used one of these and is what do they think? Are they easy to fit your self or is it best to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing??

Thanks,

John.

------------------
1997 Damson S14

[This message has been edited by JohnD76 (edited 26-05-2001).]

Actual_Ben_Taylor
26-05-2001, 14:50
Quick shift is a piece of piss to fit, even Dan can do it http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/wink.gif

Ben

------------------
Black '98 S14

JohnD76
26-05-2001, 14:56
Ben,

That is just what I wanted to hear!!! Nice one!

John.

Chimp
27-05-2001, 12:11
Aye quickshifts are a doddle to fit.

Sorry to step into the S14 domain. Its just the topic of this thread made me think that Bentaylor must have been on the same flight as me to Lanzarote about 3 years back.. seems I had me wires crossed.

Kenny_s13
30-05-2001, 22:34
see the post ref clutch noise

Daniel san
02-06-2001, 13:05
LOL @ Ben, You cheeky Fecker!!!

He's right though, if I can do it, it must be easy.

------------------
Dan
www.puresx.co.uk
Do not take offence to anything I might say, I am completely mad. So jus chill de feck oooot, ok!

andyf
26-04-2005, 08:55
Aye quickshifts are a doddle to fit.

Sorry to step into the S14 domain. Its just the topic of this thread made me think that Bentaylor must have been on the same flight as me to Lanzarote about 3 years back.. seems I had me wires crossed.

He was a comedian back in 2001 :D

Anyway I too get a bit of a rattle when lurching forward, but then I've currently got a slightly dodgy gearbox and since the SPEC clutch was fitted, it's every-now-and-then made a bit of a noise on partial engagement, like a grinding/creaking noise.

cookwibble
26-04-2005, 11:00
if its a mettalic sound and it also happens at idle could be loose timing chain or crack heat shield also

king_j
26-04-2005, 11:04
thoguth you werent meant to bump up old posts and i think a 4 year old post is old enough, also its vvt that you get in 1st and rev.

Stevecarter200
26-04-2005, 11:31
Andrew you are norty.:whip::smash:

andyf
26-04-2005, 16:02
Carter, come back when you HAVE an s14 ;)

Columbo
26-04-2005, 16:22
If you're referring to a short rattle on take off when the car has been standing for 30 minutes or more, mine does this. I read in a 200sx FAQ somewhere that it's to do with the variable valve timing.

Now I'm not mechanically minded at all and may be talking complete crap.

Am taking the car into Nissan for them to have a look at (assuming they have anyone there who knows anything about mechanics)

------------------
JB
2000 Emerald S14

i heard this too, always thought this is vvt rattle. :nod:

Jon
26-04-2005, 16:24
This thread is old

VVT noises weren't invented back then.

Vez
26-04-2005, 16:27
:rolleyes: