PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel toe in out of spec?

KTMs14
02-10-2001, 11:18
Had the front wheel tracking adjusted yesterday and they informed me that one of the rear wheels was out of spec for toe in.

Has anyone had this adjustment made to an S14a?

Mine is a 99v, had it from new and not hit any kerbs. It has done plenty of sliding, but I cannot see what would cause this to be out of spec.

dreadly
02-10-2001, 11:45
Had my S14 ('96 model) tracked up on the arse end - make s abig difference. Easy job so long as the bolts haven't seized.

Make sure it's done with all four wheels on the alignment tool though - it is possible to get the front right and the rear right independently, but then get a thrust angle problem.

KTMs14
02-10-2001, 11:49
Apart from reducing tyre wear, what was the improvement?

It is booked to be done next week with all 4 wheels.

Tom_S14
02-10-2001, 12:45
I read somewhere that some S14s for the japanese and (I think ?) australian market are fitted with this HICAS 4 wheel steer thing. Whoever it was I was reading reckoned that at the factory they didn't always know whether this HICAS thing would be fitted and didn't bother aligning the rear wheels properly.
Might be rubbish, but it sounds plausible.
Tom

------------------
1996 Blue/Green S14 (manual)
K&N cone filter
2.5" Tube-torque Cat Back Exhaust.
TechTom MDM-100
Race-Technology AP-22
http://tom.marshall.tripod.com

dreadly
02-10-2001, 12:53
Originally posted by KTMs14:
Apart from reducing tyre wear, what was the improvement?

It is booked to be done next week with all 4 wheels.

With mine the difference was mainly that she sat down and pulled a lot straighter. She doesn't wiggle her arse as much when spinning the wheels.

Tom_S14
02-10-2001, 13:28
Has it improved cornering at all ?

dreadly
02-10-2001, 13:37
Originally posted by Tom_S14:
Has it improved cornering at all ?

Errm, yeah kind of, she exits corners better, sits down and pulls straighter. I find that so long as you're neutral through the corner she seems to be happy enough.

I don't seem to suffer from the tail happiness that I did with the S13, but still go as fast (in fact most people say faster) through the corners.