PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty changing from 2nd to 3rd gear

AndyD
19-09-2001, 14:30
Has anyone else experienced a problem engaging 3rd gear (from 2nd), it typically catches on the way in. It feels like it catching on the gate as the gear lever is moved from 2nd to 3rd. It is most noticably at speed, when trying to accelerate hard. When trying to change gear rapidly, it catches enough to prevent smooth engaging of 3rd and often ends up with 3rd getting crunched or I just have to ease off a little and take my time changing gear.

This is a real pain, I spoken to Nissan (UK) Ltd and they have no knowledge or reports of anything like this .... now there's a surprise !

Thus

A. Does anyone suffer similar problems

and

B. Does anyone know the solution to this ?

FYI : I have had the car from new, it has always done this, it is now 14 months old with 15K on the clock and it is not improving.

Thanks

------------------
Andy
Red Y2K 'W' plate S14

Rossy
19-09-2001, 14:54
JohnD76 had the same problem I think...one option would be to fit a short shift...this may fix it.

Bean has done this, hopefully he will see this post.

I've never encountered this problem though

------------------
Ross
'97 S14a
HKS Super Dragger Exhaust
HKS Induction Kit
HKS Iridium Plugs
ND Turbo Actuator
ND T28 Super Hybrid Turbo
Eibach Springs
Skyline R33 330mm Brake Discs with Brembo Calipers
18'' Alloy Wheels
Clear Front and Side Indicators
www.geocities.com/golders_uk/VCRossCownleys200SX.html

dreadly
19-09-2001, 15:09
Do have a similar problem occasionally, but mostly going to 4th from any gear.

Changed the box and still get the same problem, so just assumed it was a Nissan Syncro thing...?

Bean
19-09-2001, 17:27
Originally posted by AndyD:
Has anyone else experienced a problem engaging 3rd gear (from 2nd), it typically catches on the way in. It feels like it catching on the gate as the gear lever is moved from 2nd to 3rd. It is most noticably at speed, when trying to accelerate hard. When trying to change gear rapidly, it catches enough to prevent smooth engaging of 3rd and often ends up with 3rd getting crunched or I just have to ease off a little and take my time changing gear.

This is a real pain, I spoken to Nissan (UK) Ltd and they have no knowledge or reports of anything like this .... now there's a surprise !

Thus

A. Does anyone suffer similar problems

and

B. Does anyone know the solution to this ?

FYI : I have had the car from new, it has always done this, it is now 14 months old with 15K on the clock and it is not improving.

Thanks

I never suffered from this problem with Nissan shifter or when I fitted an OBX Shifter.

In an older car I would suggest the synchromesh, lack of gearbox oil or worn gears, obviously not applicable in your case.

If it's always done this why haven't you got the garage to sort it out?, make some demands/threats, usually does the trick.

You shouldn't put up with this if it's a new car! (That's my agony aunt bit over now).

P.S. Welcome to our board.

------------------
MANUAL 95N/S14
Pearlescent Red
OBX Short Shifter
PDM Front Strut Bar
K&N Induction Filter
Private Plate
http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/rides/beans14/nissan2m1small.jpg
ICQ 124584354

AndyD
19-09-2001, 17:37
Thanks for the encouragement from all.

I have made demands etc of the dealers...now trying dealer number 2 ! The first one, tried the...."There all like that sir, nothing we can do"

So I phoned Nissan UK...they said "We've never heard of this type of problem, we never have a problem with gearboxes on 200sx's"

The second dealer to be fair has only had it in once. However thay also seemed to think it was standard and the mechanic came out in the car to see the problem. They are now trying to source another 200sx for me to drive and compare...this would certainly help.

So now, I am trying to gather some evidence and THEN I will go and make some demands/threats ..lol !

------------------
Andy
Red Y2K 'W' plate S14

Papa Lazarou
19-09-2001, 18:05
I have a slightly notchy 1st to 2nd change, occasionally. I'm hoping a change of gear oil will improve matters.

AndyD
19-09-2001, 19:09
I'll try and clarify this still further.

It is not just notchy, sometimes it is down right dangerous. When trying to make rapid progress and having to overtake other road users and then having to change to 3rd, it is sometimes impossible and on several occasions I have had to brake and pull back in behind the vehicle. Slight embarrassing and definitely dangerous.

Anyone got a similar problem ?

------------------
Andy
Red Y2K 'W' plate S14

Papa Lazarou
19-09-2001, 19:28
Not in me 200 but I had this problem changing down to second in a Mk1 Fiesta I used to have. Diagnosis = Gearbox shagged. Didn't think it was worth paying someone to look at it but I reckon the synchromesh had packed up on this gear.

For the dealer to claim this is normal on a 18month old car is beyond belief, to be honest. If you know when it tends to happen insist you take one of their mechanics for a drive to demonstrate the problem.

Tom_S14
24-09-2001, 14:28
Yep, I have exactly this problem. Sounds the same. Only from 2nd to 3rd, seems to catch - as if third has moved over to the right by a cm or two and I've missed it. I normally have a second go, and it goes in fine.
This maybe happens a couple of times a month, and usually only on very fast changes.
Don't know the cure, compared to the other cars I've had - I don't count it as a problem http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

Tom

------------------
1996 Blue/Green S14 (manual)
K&N cone filter
2.5" Tube-torque Cat Back Exhaust.
TechTom MDM-100
Race-Technology AP-22
http://tom.marshall.tripod.com

JohnD76
25-09-2001, 13:21
Originally posted by Ross:
JohnD76 had the same problem I think...one option would be to fit a short shift...this may fix it.

Bean has done this, hopefully he will see this post.

I've never encountered this problem though

I get this, if I change from 2nd to third at fairly low revs. Am thinking of fitting a short chift jobby to eliminate it.

------------------
John (S14a)
http://mysmilies.com/s.php?archive=contrib/owen&rand=show