PDA

View Full Version : Timing

Deano_s14
15-09-2001, 17:33
Just fitted an ND Boost actuator the other week but haven't had the ignition timing retarded yet as it says in the ND fitting instructions. I've put the actuator in with the arm the same length as the standard jobby. The question is, is the timing as crucial as ND are making out or are they just covering their ar5es. I'm itching to get it wound up to 15psi but I can't get a day off work for weeks to get the timing done. The only garage I've found willing to adjust it doesnt work weekends. http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/frown.gif

P.S. Anyone selling a 52mm boost gauge or know where thers a good price on any?

------------------
1995 S14, ND boost actuator, K&N cone, Bailey DV26 Evo piston dump valve.

[This message has been edited by Deano_s14 (edited 15-09-2001).]

Johnny
17-09-2001, 10:31
I beleive the timing is important .... wound up to 15psi, the engine will start making a pinking noise as the revs get higher, you can hear this easier with the windows closed, stereo off and listen real hard to the engine noise. This is engine detonation and allegedly incredibly bad for the car.

or at least ... so everyone keeps saying.

------------------
'97 S14a
K&N pod, Mongoose, HKS FMIC, Eibach springs, uprated disks &pads, boost 17psi.

Darksurfer
17-09-2001, 11:19
I have posted the same question, Acuator Question.

I have spoke to ND who told me that if you have wound the arm out fully you should be OK.

Once you start winding the arm in you should watch the boost, 15 PSI time to retard the timing.

I asked at what point should you change the timing once you start increasing the PSI, they said just wind her up to 15 then do it.