PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild whats bits do I need.

Jezz_S13
06-07-2001, 08:50
Hello,

I'm now in the position of being able to rebuild my engine.

The question is what bits will I need and where's best to get them?

I want to recon my head, and bottom end and anything else people suggest that I should do whilst it's in bits.

------------------
Please take nothing I say literally; even I don't believe it.

Chimp
06-07-2001, 08:59
dont get me started.. :/

Jezz_S13
06-07-2001, 09:06
Hey Dan, do me a favour and write down everything you break as you take it off and how you should have taken it off to avoid breaking it.

Seriously can you make a list of the bits for me, and where your gonna get the bits from.

We could do a good write up on how to do this... 'Dummies guide to ca18det rebuild' what do you think?

You know things to look out for, circlips not to let the dog get stuck to it's foot, that kind of thing.

------------------

Chimp
06-07-2001, 09:23
aye, i spose i could. I'll let yer know as and when i do stuff. Still waiting for new shells and regrind so you aint missed much http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

colin
07-07-2001, 20:23
just had total regrind done...The mechanic took the head off too.....just didn't sound like big ends! But, I now have a nice £300 bill (itemised!)for the parts I needed when sticking it back together. Not cheap but a hell of a lot cheaper than Nissan!

Has anyone ever need the whole crankshaft reground...i.e. main bearings and the other bearings...errmmm...can't remember wot they are called right now!

Jezz_S13
09-07-2001, 08:50
Colin,

Is there any chance you could send me a list of the bits that were needed and what work was done.

I'm doing it myself and I want to get all the bits that I'm likely to need before i start.

Jezz.

------------------

Mannie
09-07-2001, 12:31
Jezz,
Any idea when you are gonna start on you rebuild?

Jezz_S13
09-07-2001, 12:38
Well I'll probably start dismantling the engine bay ready to lift the engine out hopefully at the w'end.

May be sooner, I have to plan how I'm gonna lift it, need to get some scaffolding.

Really I want to get the crank out over the w'end so I can get it ground next week.

Can I ask why you ask?

------------------

Mannie
09-07-2001, 12:56
Steve Sadler and I went to see Options Motorsport at Silverstone on Saturday and he recommended a bottom end "service". Basically changing the big end and conrod shells.
Wouldn't mind having a go at it myself but would rather see/help out with someone elses.

Jezz_S13
09-07-2001, 13:22
But I live nearly 200 miles away!

From what I can gather you can do it with the engine in situ but you have to take your steering out, and then your working above your head all the time. I'm not into that idea at all.

My engine is in quite a poor way, seriously blocked crankcase breather (can't unblock it), and the valve seals are knackered too. And the bottom end knocks. So the easiest thing for me is to take it out and rebuild the whole thing. At least I'll know it's done then.

Oh, plus I have to put new gearbox on.

Colin's 300 quid bottom end job sounds like a bit of a bargin, as I think ND charge 700.

My missus is going upto Salford for a weeks training next week 15 - 21, so I was going to have a couple of days off work to do the stripping down/rebuild during the week while she is not here. Basically so I can do it in front of the telly or in the kitchen.

I hope I can get the engine out before she goes so she can help.

Although I'm dead optimistic, I don't doubt for a minute that it is going to be a real f'cker of a job.

I'll try and document what I do/break for the good of sx kind.

Although I'd be really glad of a hand in doing it, I dunno how practical it would be you coming across here, to sunny Way-ells.

------------------

Mannie
09-07-2001, 13:36
Probably is a little too far. What I would spend in petrol I could put towards a mechanic doing it.

Hope you get on well with it Jezz.

Good luck

Jezz_S13
09-07-2001, 15:24
Cheers. http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

colin
09-07-2001, 17:41
I can fax a copy of my invoice for the bits...although I needed a con rod and pluped for an oil pump too. The £300 was for the bits! The crank cost £200 to regrind including big end shells and main shells.

All I have to pay is the labour for doing the rest of it...its gonna be about £850 in all. Wish it was £300!!!

Whilst I think about it you could contact Autojap 02476 474848 and speak to Pete...he seemed to know which bits I needed better than me. He can prob sort you out...has a few s/h bits too.

Good luck

Colin