PDA

View Full Version : That ropey idle cured - thanks

Dodger
27-06-2001, 16:57
Big thanks (but no flowers or gold statuettes 'cos I'm skint) to Olly200SX and DaveS14 for words of wisdom about cleaning AAC valves. When I got into mine it was gummed up solid with carbon. Zapped the lot with WD40 - and went through all the air channels in the housing, as well as completely cleaning off the idle screw which was also thick with black muck. Made a hell of a difference to the idle. Thanks again guys. Anybody else wanting to deal with their S13 similarly: the valve is the thing clamped on the block side of the intake manifold with what looks like a brass-cased electric motor clamped to it (but it's just a solenoid). I took the whole thing off -three bolts - and dismantled it and cleaned the whole lot. There are actually two solenoid valves involved, but when they're gummed up with crap they can't do much moving to regulate the idle. The other one's the one with the hexagonal casing - the brass thing that points straight at the engine. God I love it when I talk technical. WD40 worked a treat as a solvent. Watch the two gaskets when you're dismantling. Now I've sorted that I might take it and get the emissions checked as the now amazingly smooth idle is also a touch on the fast side and the idle screw's all the way in.

[This message has been edited by Dodger (edited 27-06-2001).]

dave_s13
29-06-2001, 08:27
Nice one mate I'm gunna try that tomorrow, don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

dave_s13
29-06-2001, 08:30
Nice one mate I'm gunna try that tomorrow, don't you just love it when a plan comes together.
As oppose to when you go do something simple like change a brake pad and end up snapping the furking slider bolts and costing yourself another 20 quid and a day off the road..BAAAAASSSTTTTTIIIDD.

There is a god.............and he hates me!!

olly200sx
29-06-2001, 10:02
Glad I could be of use to someone as my other half doesn't think so, now your'e idle is running fast with the screw all the way in, hmmm, your'e mixture may well be too rich, I assume its running fast after a thorough warm-up ? Have you checked the ecu for any error codes as mine did this and I found it to be the temperature sensor had logged a fault, cleared it from the ecu and bob's your uncle, perfect idle !

The code for the temp. sensor is : 13, (one red flash and three green flashes)

If you read my fault finding in tips and tricks you'll understand what I mean !!!

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

olly200sx
29-06-2001, 10:03
I don't like flowers (I've got hayfever), chocolates will be fine !!!

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

Dodger
02-07-2001, 05:11
The ECU fault codes are something I haven't yet delved into......I keep feeling mysteriously drawn to the winking lights but have so far resisted their lure. Now might be a good time to give in. The mixture APPEARS to be fine though...had it on a CO anlyser on Friday, and I'm still amazed at the mpgs on a long run: 200 miles on half a tank round SW Scotland on Sat.

Richy_Boy
19-07-2001, 10:48
All I can say is BARSTUARD!! 200 mile son 1/2 a tank? Somethings gotta be up with my motor.. It scrapes 250 miles on a full tank!! Getting 26mpg TOPS! Hmm maybe its time to get it tuned...? What ya think?

------------------
Rich
S13 J reg Graphite Grey - ND200, Koni Adj., 17" wheelz, dropped. Broken.

SteveSadler
19-07-2001, 13:01
Dave,

i know how u feel about the slider bolts

i did the same thing, when checking my car over the night b4 Trax 2000, last year. Friggy snapped one which cost me my track day with the NTOC.

Just hope everythings ok for this year and that Idont bodge anything up.

------------------
Bayside Blue S13.
Janspeed&D-Cat Pipe/Pace FMIC/BMC F1 Filter/Standard T25 @ 15psi
15.4 @ 98mph - North Wield Air Strip
Flywheel Figure 213bhp/209Ib ft @ 5375RPM
Power at the Wheels 166bhp
(as of 15/6/01 @ Power & Engineering)

Dodger
19-07-2001, 15:56
When I got my 200 miles on half a tank I had set out to see how sensible the motor could be if I cruised at between 65 and 75 (around the 2700rpm mark). And with admirable self-restraint that's more or less what we did all day. I think the actual figure was about 187 miles on about 31 litres, so it was just under 27.5 mpg. It's an automatic and my owner's handbook says it should do about 36mpg at 50-odd mph, so I imagine I'm not far off target. While I don't drive like that all the time it's useful to know how far the gas can be stretched for those long-haul trips to see our European cousins.
If you're getting 26mpg Richy Boy you're still aiming at a 325-mile trip with about three quarters of a gallon left in the tank.

[This message has been edited by Dodger (edited 19-07-2001).]

Danny
19-07-2001, 23:25
200 miles on half tank,
god i just about get 180 to a full tank
i used to get 200 so dont know what the
hell happened there,
u must drive like a grandad

Paul_S13
19-07-2001, 23:37
Originally posted by SteveSadler:
Dave,

i know how u feel about the slider bolts

Get 300zx calipers....no bolts to snap! http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Black S13
235Bhp @ 5600rpm
Saab intercooler
Big ass HKS 'zorst with 3 inches of ground clearance

http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/contrib/blackeye/2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Dodger
20-07-2001, 12:12
Danny...I'm old. But like I said the point of that exercise WAS to drive like a granddad to see how far it could stretch.

Richy_Boy
09-08-2001, 13:21
I HAVE to drive like a grandad all the time to get that figure.. As im a tight c*nt, I never fill the tank up (makes me feel better)m but put £30 in a go. this will last for 250 miles - 260 tops!

and its a manual.. and fuelling properly (apparently) and im poor... http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/frown.gif

rich

------------------
Rich

180 to 210 BHP @???? rpm
S13 J reg Graphite Grey - ND200, Koni Adj., 17" wheelz, dropped. Broken.

Avinitlarge
09-08-2001, 20:01
I snapped a caliper bolt too! DOH

------------------
1989 S13
Private plate
K&N Filter
Bleed valve
Loadza Alpine ICE
Bumped on the front due to a stupid taxi driver