PDA

View Full Version : LOUD mettalic shreaking noise

dave_s13
26-06-2001, 13:32
My front drivers side wheel all of a sudden started to make a loud mettalic screechy/grinding noise.

I jacked up the front and rotated the wheel just make sure I was in the right place, took the front wheel off and couldn't see anything wrong. After putting the wheel back on the noise has gone?????????

Any ideas??????

Ripper
26-06-2001, 14:02
Whilst desperately trying not to sound dull I suppose your brake pads still have meat on them?

Other than that, how about the caliper?

------------------
Ripper

Grey 1993 S13

dave_s13
26-06-2001, 15:06
Loads left, only changed them last month.

Think I'l just ignore it till it goes away.......or falls off.

Ripper
26-06-2001, 15:13
I've have it looked at asap.

Might be nothing, but if something does fall off at 140 you'll probably have to have your underwear valeted......

------------------
Ripper

Grey 1993 S13

andyf
26-06-2001, 15:24
Dave! Mine has been screeching away like a metal-on-metal sound for the last couple weeks.
After driving for a bit and experiencing severe brake fade after only a couple stops from around 50/60mph, and feeling the front wheels which are EXTREMELY hot, I think the problem is the discs are warped or something, but either way I'm convinced that it is a brake issue and not a wheel bearing / other problem. I'll let you know how I get on as I should be getting it done very soon.

------------------
Graphite Grey S13
HKS Hiper Muffler / KYB Shocks / ChassisDyamics Springs - w00t, what a drift!

olly200sx
26-06-2001, 15:28
A screeching sound hmmm, definately sounds like pads having no friction material left meaning your grinding metal to metal on the disk, have another look at both sides and actually take the pads out, they do have a tendency to seize the slide mechanisms on the calipers and pull unevenly meaning the pad may look alright until taken out where you find half the pad missing and grinding away at the disk.

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

Jeffers_S13
26-06-2001, 17:23
My car was making a screeching noise also, around Christmas time. It turned out to be the rear brake pads, totally worn to the metal. Very quick fix and not so attention grabbing once done either. It definately sounds like worn pads to me. If your discs were warped you'd be getting bad vibrations through the steering wheel when braking.

James

andyf
26-06-2001, 17:39
Would I be right in thinking that if the pads or discs were worn out / knackered and thus causing noise, they would also cause the wheel to heat up some? The two front wheels are extremely warm after a normal drive to / from work with very normal braking, i.e. not much, whereas the rear wheels are not warm to the touch at all.
I say this because I thought the noise was coming from the back left, but the fact the noise varies in tone/volume on left cornering, combined with the fact the fronts are hot and the backs aren't, leads me to believe it's just the fronts. I guess I'll get the mechanic to have a fiddle around when I get some new front stuff anyway.

------------------
Graphite Grey S13

dave_s13
27-06-2001, 08:22
The disks (F&R) are new as well so they shouldn't be warped, anyway its stopped doing it now and its running fine, no brake fade or nasty noises.

I'm thinking a stone could have gotten lodged somwhere in the caliper. Its been really hot the past few days and the road surface outside my house has started to break up so every time I drive off my tyres are coated with sticky peices of asphalt. Its that bad that I usually have to stop after a bit to get rid of a stubborn bit thats got stuck in the tread which makes a tap tap tap noise.
AND
When I took the wheel off I did notice a few peices of pea sized stones stuck to the inside of the wheel.

I've ruled out knackered bearings as this usually makes a droning noise, if it happens again though I strip the caliper for a proper look.

cheers

andyf
27-06-2001, 12:59
Was doing a normal commute home yesterday, drifting peacefully through Lytham at about 30 mph with the stereo going. Occured to me that song that I was listening to sounded somewhat different so muted stereo to hear a very very strange continual noise, mixed in with the now-usual brake screeching. Suddenly realised this noise had been happening all the way down the bypass without me noticing. http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/cwm/cwm/errrr.gif Strangely, jigging the wheel left/right completely got rid of the noise and left me with the scraping till I got home. Was not particuarly nice, I guess the brakes are really really crippled now. They even overheated on the way to work today in one go, slowing from 50 to 30. Came to the next lights and stopped slowly and could smell the burning coming into the cabin. Not hugely pleasant.

------------------
Graphite Grey S13

Mike Dagg
28-06-2001, 19:37
Mine were doing this as well - you may find your caliper pistons are sticking. I have had untold problems with my brakes, including the major heat in normal driving (someone stopped me one night on the M40 to tell me sparks were flying out of the wheel even when I wasn't braking). Discs warp within minutes of me fitting them (starting to think the hubs may not be true). Bite the bullet and get some bigger better ones - it'll save you a lot of trouble