PDA

View Full Version : Help - Smokey, Rattly bag of nails.

Jezz_S13
21-06-2001, 08:45
Hello all,

Firstly being a Nissan newbie I must say what an excellent message board this is, very helpful indeed. You will however soon be p%^&ed off with my naive questions, but I learn fast.

I have just bought a 92 K reg S13.
Okay let me describe the most pressing problem I have.

Shortly after starting the motor it spews a fair amount of smoke (oil methinks), after a couple of minutes driving this seems to clear. Also when driving, when engine is not doing a lot of work I.E. when not accelerating or braking it rattles, sounds quite tinny.

Now I’m no expert but I think that it is the head, oil dripping down the valve stems and everything rattling around in there. Basically knackered head.

I don’t think that it is the turbo as by all accounts this is not likely to make a rattly noise, and is likely to smoke a lot and all the time. I’m not convinced it is the bottom end either, it might just about explain the noise, but not the burnt oil.

I don’t seem to lose any power.

Anyway if anyone has any idea what could be wrong, or better still can recommend somewhere I can take it for a proper diagnosis (Bearing in mind I’m in South Wales) I’d be very grateful.

I have a feeling that my next post will be about where to get a new/recon/reclaimed engine, Arse!

Many thanks,

Jezz.

------------------
Standard, yet smokey '92 S13.

Chimp
21-06-2001, 08:52
Hello Jez, Your engine is broke.

hehe, just kidding. Although theres a couple of posts around here from me with the same problem, Im afraid its bottom end that makes that horrid noise on these things, ND told me it is very common for shells to wear down fast on the 200, Whether or not you will get away without a crank regrind depends on how bad they are. I am taking my engine out to have it done in 3 weeks. And valve stems sounds right for smoke on start up, Which can be done with the engine in situ I think. If you drive it somewhere to be done its £300 for bottom end shells at SE and I think they charge £700 if the crank wants regrinding. Do it yourself and it'll add up to about 150 quid.

Mine does it at a constant 2-3k revs but not when accelerating. Despite the noise sounding like its coming from the top or the timing cover, I am told that its definately the crank. I intend to swing under and listen to the sump with a stethoscope (ok a screwdriver) and hopefully that will give a quick answer. If you find anything suspicous on the top end, lemmy know.

[This message has been edited by Chimp (edited 21-06-2001).]

Cormac_S13
21-06-2001, 12:58
Hello Jez,

I had similar symtoms(no smoke)for a period.
Then engine threw conrod out the side of the block. Check your oil pressure, should be about 3-4.5 bar at 3000rpm. If low oil pressure probably due to big end bearings knackered. If you catch it in time it could save you a new engine. Watch the cost though for oversize bearings and fitment. I got a replacement engine in Dublin for £800 Irish (£600stg) fitted with 6000 mile warrenty. Even got another turbo with replacement. Keep us posted.

Jezz_S13
21-06-2001, 13:23
MMmmm...

Thanks for the replies.

I was and really still am considering getting another engine, I have been quoted 500 + vat, which seems okay, would prefer better price. I want to be able to keep my old engine though so that I can get the crank reground, put new shells in and sort the head out myself in my own time for the next time anthing goes wrong.

Any one know what the going rate is to get someone to swap the engine for me?

Or how much of an arse it is to swap it yourself? What tools are needed, gaskets etc.

Cheers,
Jezz.

------------------

olly200sx
21-06-2001, 15:11
If you've ever done an engine swap before its a piece of piss, even if you haven't its still easy, took me and my friend half day in and out, and that was a uk spec out to jap spec in, having to change a few bits over etc. You don't need any gaskets if your'e plonking the whole engine in except exhaust manifold to head !!!

That rattly noise is likely to be the bearings as its so common on these engines, but check your oil level and fill up if necessary, the smoke problem is also likely to be the valve stem oil seals as these are common buggers to go as well and you can do them whilst the engine is in ! If its burning a lot of oil maybe the oil level is low and not helping with the annoying sound !!!

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

Jezz_S13
21-06-2001, 15:40
Cheers Olly,

No it's not burning too much oil, embarassing though, it only seems to do if it has been standing for a while, it isn't noticible whilst driving, my girlfriend has a crick in here neck looking behind out of the window for smoke. She's a darling.

There is plently of oil albeit old in the engine, however I am doing a oil and plug change on it later today; oh joy.

Can you give me any info on where to get valve seals from and better still how to fit them?

Are they a pricey game?

What special tools did you need to use to get the engine out? Did you hire a engine hoist?

Cheers,

Jezz.

------------------

Jezz_S13
22-06-2001, 08:14
Balls!

Changed oil last night and stuck some STP smoke treatment in as a temporary measure whilst I work out the best plan of attack and it is smoking much more, and is now sounding like a bag of spanners.

Need to source an engine PDQ and try and talk someone into fitting it with me.

Jezz.

------------------

olly200sx
22-06-2001, 09:40
Yes indeed the fresh oil is burning better and smoking more, the valve stem seals are about 80p each, your bank manager won't mind spunking up for those and theyr'e really not that difficult.

Sounds like your bearings are about to go, you'll know when they do ! My big end cap came away after a blast against an old silvia and astra gsi, when a copper pulled up and asked me to have a listen he run off about 10m back and shouted "turn the damn thing off" I nearly pissed myself !!!

Sorry to hear it about yours though, why don't you go for a jap spec engine, mine was easy to fit albeit a few parts to swap but is excellent now and pulls to 8000.

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

Jezz_S13
22-06-2001, 09:58
Okay...

Regarding Jap Engine, how much is one likely to cost and from where does it come (dont say Japan, where do I get one)?

What other stuff is likely to need changing and at what cost?

I have to get this sorted real soon cos it's major embarrasing and also I don't have a second car as yet.

Do you know of anywhere in South Wales that is worth checking out?
I have heard/read lots about SE and Norris, where are they?

------------------
Standard, yet smokey noise tub of sh-eye-te '92 S13.

olly200sx
25-06-2001, 12:05
I got mine from Japanese Salvage with a 6month warranty and guaranteed (so they reckon) 40,000 miles on it for £400 and that was delivered to anywhere in U.K.. It was supposed to be exchange but they never took the old one back !!! I only had to change over a few little bits like an engine mount and front pulley for clearance, piece of cake really.

Norris Designs can be found at http://www.norrisdesigns.com

Norris Designs
Unit 5
Parklane Industrial Estate
Parklane
Corsham, Wiltshire
SN13 9LG
http://www.se-nissan.com

Silvia Engineering Ltd.
Unit 9, Wycke Business Park,
Maldon, Essex,
CM9 6UZ.