PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust upgrade

dunc
20-06-2001, 13:26
Hi, my name is Dunc and I got a 200sx last week, its a 1992 with a
claimed 200bhp+ and it seems pretty rapid to me!

I have already bought a boost guage to fit to it and I will be fitting new
springs with a lowering height of 35mm - the car has been lowered an amazing
80mm but I can't get into my work car park or house drive because it grounds
out!

My first question for someone is wether it is O.K. to remove the CAT, does this
effect the engine management or does the CAT corrode or get damaged by not
getting used in storage. I know the CAT would have to be refitted for
MOT's.

Do you know if there is a special way to replace the springs on the rear
suspension because it seems pretty complicated to me.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Dunc.

risky business
20-06-2001, 13:47
Hi
My car's a 92 J plate and has never had a problem getting though the MOT with a D-Cat pipe fitted. However if you wish to store your cat, it's moisture that will knacker it so keep it in a dry place wrapped in cling film.

------------------
Black S13
Uprated Actuator
ND Stage 1 Eprom
Janspeed D-Cat Pipe

Mike_S13
20-06-2001, 13:58
There are no CAT test emmissions figures for an S13, so it doesnt need one for the MOT. Dumb bloke at my local garage put mine through as a s14 - it passed anyway (with cat). Just make sure that they know what car it is - take your reg documents along to prove it only has a 1.8 engine and says s13 in the chassis number - just to save argument!

Mike_S13
20-06-2001, 13:58
There are no CAT test emmissions figures for an S13, so it doesnt need one for the MOT. Dumb bloke at my local garage put mine through as a s14 - it passed anyway (with cat). Just make sure that they know what car it is - take your reg documents along to prove it only has a 1.8 engine and says s13 in the chassis number - just to save argument!

------------------
Red '93 S13
A Few mods

Mike_S13
20-06-2001, 14:00
Bloody double post, sorry

------------------
Red '93 S13
A Few mods

dunc
20-06-2001, 14:45
Cheers lads, its of with the CAT then!! No more smelly acceleration...

Dunc

olly200sx
20-06-2001, 14:52
80mm jesus christ and all that, mine are 40mm lower and I hit everything from small beavers to worms, they aren't at all hard to remove, just undo the bolt at the bottom, undo the bolts in the boot and remove strut from car, you probably won't need a spring clamp if their 80mm lower as they probably don't reach the platforms, unless they're seriously uprated shortened shocks ! It's nice to have one handy anyway, undo top nut with long reach spanner and mole grips and replace the spring and everything else back in the same order.

Job done.

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

Chimp
20-06-2001, 15:02
hehehe.. watch out for those pesky beavers.

dunc
21-06-2001, 07:07
The receipt for the springs that are on it simply states 'custom springs' but they seem a bit old and scabby now so perhaps thats why it sits so low now. The exhaust scrapes all the way up the car as well as the standard front bumper - the whole car sits about 1-2 inches from the ground!! Its fine on the motorway or a good road but bumps are a no-go. Thanks for the help I should be fitting new springs soon, but I still want to be able to decapitate small beavers!

Is about £80 a fair price for a set of 35mm lowering springs?

Dunc.

olly200sx
21-06-2001, 12:14
£80 is a good price, I paid £90 for mine and they are H&R springs which are good quality and lower it 40mm which is as low as you want to go, trust me !!!

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

Trickey D
21-06-2001, 12:19
I think you can get away with removing the cat if you have a car older than a K plate. Mines an H - and I took the cat off and its been through MOT OK. Incidentally - everyone seems to rave about Mongeese - mines a Scorpion - Big bore, stainless, no cat, great sound - especially on gear changes - and up about 20hp by the feel of it. Who needs anything else?

------------------
Trickey - with an S13!