PDA

View Full Version : Driftwoks coilovers - good for drifting?

Streetmekanik
01-02-2011, 08:17
I am lookning for opinions on the Driftworks coilovers compared to pricier Japan stuff and the Apex ones for drifting.

RADS_S13
01-02-2011, 08:24
Yes, I've been running the CS1's for a few years now and am very happy with them, the CS2's are ment to be tweeked to form even better but I haven't driven on them.

I beleve the HSD's are basically the sme as the CS1's with you need a slightly cheaper option.

mike-200
01-02-2011, 08:27
Well dont kno about them but my bc racing ones are awesome :-D dont cost the world either

kiruji
01-02-2011, 08:32
If you go to Driftworks and search the forums for coilovers, you'll find several threads on the best coilovers for drifting... A lot of the pro drivers recommend the CS2s, IIRC. Worth a search on there though :)

Streetmekanik
04-02-2011, 12:38
Is the Jap stuff really any better, or is the exotic factor that plays in?

CrysAk
04-02-2011, 12:47
I had Jap GP Sports on mine and even after weeks of trying to get into contact with the guys there via email/phone it was just impossible without a translator, that with the inability to get them repaired/parts for them was nigh on impossible. even when doing the math it came to about the same price to buy new ones (1.5k) let alone actually go ahead with it due to communication issues and time zone difference / postage / import duties.

in the end i bought a set of CS2s, only just got my car all sorted and got a drift day booked for the 23rd, but first impressions are the CS2s are VERY nice , even on public roads, the softest setting is still very nice!

for all the effort involved to buy JDM coilovers and get them imported, let alone if something goes wrong, its probably just worth getting something in the UK and the CS2s are more than capable for the casual track/drift use from what I've read

docwra
04-02-2011, 13:09
Ive got HKS Hipermax II and I loves them ........ but when they go I have to send them to Japan to get fixed :(
Ive not heard anyone with a bad word to say about the DW CS coilies though, so Ill probably replace mine with them when they break. :nod:

Sideways Simon
04-02-2011, 13:11
anyone have any experience with HSD "smoothies"??

Streetmekanik
04-02-2011, 14:05
for all the effort involved to buy JDM coilovers and get them imported, let alone if something goes wrong, its probably just worth getting something in the UK and the CS2s are more than capable for the casual track/drift use from what I've read

I would consider JDMs if they are twice as good, because they are twice the price. My impression is that they are not.

Rubix_Cube
04-02-2011, 14:08
I am lookning for opinions on the Driftworks coilovers compared to pricier Japan stuff and the Apex ones for drifting.

Japanese Stuff for Brandwhores.....

Unless your a professional driver who ONLY drives on track and is continually adjusting and test....

You'll never in a month of sundays notice a difference. :thumbs:

docwra
04-02-2011, 14:20
Japanese Stuff for Brandwhores.....

Unless your a professional driver who ONLY drives on track and is continually adjusting and test....

You'll never in a month of sundays notice a difference. :thumbs:

Erm, no. If you use your car on track regularly you WILL notice a big difference between cheapo brands and the more expensive ones. Im not saying I can get in a car and tell you its running a Tein Flex (I can tell when its a D2 actually) but the difference is very noticable. :nod:

CrysAk
04-02-2011, 17:20
Erm, no. If you use your car on track regularly you WILL notice a big difference between cheapo brands and the more expensive ones. Im not saying I can get in a car and tell you its running a Tein Flex (I can tell when its a D2 actually) but the difference is very noticable. :nod:

If the OP was that kind of person, asking if top end JDM brands were as good as the CS2s, he probably wouldn't of posted here and by the wording of his post, my bet is he just wants to comfortably go sideways without worrying about needing to upgrade anytime soon / buy new again because they break easily

also each of the previous statements seems to be at the extremities, i very much doubt average joe who tracks/drifts his car 6-12 times a year would be able to not just tell the difference between a top end brand and a mid/high spec brand, but tell you whats wrong, why, how to fix, what would be better etc and to actually be able to justify the differnce in money for what they use the car for. (I'm sure that extra cash would be much better placed elsewhere in this case)

for the money involved purchasing CS2s, youl have to step up your wallet quite a chunk to get something that out performs them AND is worth the extra cash... for example .9k CS2s vs 1.2k JDM ... doubt its worth the money ... now.. .9k CS2s vs 2k JDM .. thats a completely different story (and for this thread irrelevant)

So.. to the OP ... unless your actively tracking your car/competing very regularly, personally (having just been in your shoes and done all the homework) ... CS2s will put more than a smile on your face, just got mine all tracked up this morning and the ride is LOVELY .. however saying that i have yet to track (but .. as previously mentioned, looked at most of the reviews online and its sounding very positive) that and to be honest, ill run out of skill for a long time before the CS2s are letting me down :P

Streetmekanik
07-02-2011, 13:08
Thanks for the inputs, not horror stories like with early D2s?

neil c
07-02-2011, 17:08
http://www.driftworks.com/2011/01/cs2-coilovers-a-trilogy-of-wins/

c1arke
07-02-2011, 19:23
just get some HSDs and if u dont like them they got a 30 day money back

remo
08-02-2011, 09:39
Pfff get some 2nd hand JDM teins... Cost me £300. Drift great, bit rough because of the spring rates but it all good ;)