PDA

View Full Version : Full on SW Meet.. All areas.

Chris_Lacey
06-07-2003, 10:14
Okay, all our individual areas of the SW appear to be having (semi) regular meets, but it occurs to me that there is something missing...

We need to arrange a Quarterly MEGA MEET!!!

All areas, Cornwall, Plymouth, Exeter, Taunton, Bristol, South Wales, Dorset, Hampshire, Wiltshire.... EVERYONE!

All we need is a central location, a HUGE car park, and enough interest from you guys. So.. Who wants to suggest a location? My suggestion on time is 3 months after Billing, as that is the big one.

Due to the SW being a bit big, the best location would probably be around Bristol ish, however, it should be to the South of Bristol as people coming from Plymouth have a Looooong way to travel, and skirting round Bristol would add a fair bit of time to an already long journey.

Any suggestions?

Jeff
07-07-2003, 10:40
Sounds like a good idea. Somewhere south of Bristol? Midsommer Norton perhaps, or Shepton Mallet is a bit further south than MSN and looks fairly central :)

Barryjdart
07-07-2003, 17:48
The beach at Weston? No daft idea that. I'll have a think.

Chris
07-07-2003, 21:11
cant see it being a big problem on a sunday , definitely got my support :thumbs: :thumbs:

Bart
07-07-2003, 21:19
in Warminster...........:p

But wot a cracking idea!!!!:thumbs: :wave:

SMiFFAD
07-07-2003, 21:22
great idea, dont know of anywhere, but good idea :D

bigtone
07-07-2003, 21:23
Barry has been over to see us, so we will have to come
over to see you ,
so count me in :thumbs: :thumbs:

windy1
08-07-2003, 19:12
Weston would be cool, but trust me MAJOR PROBS WITH POLICE in the area, if they spot a large gathering or even a convoy in the area I can see problems arrising!

Midsomer Norton is cool, I know of two FREE and LARGE car parks next to each other! PLUS, plenty of places to eat, drink and even a small high street to parade around!

There`s my sixpence worth!

Paul

MAC200
08-07-2003, 19:18
Midsomer Norton's a great idea Chris , it would make a lovely Drive for Me Vince and Chiffs if there up for it .:D

Bart
08-07-2003, 19:25
I think Midsomer Norton is a tad too small...........there are two carparks ( the main one and Somerfields).....but both would be pretty small.........and have problems as well with the Police!!!

Wot day are we looking at having it????

If anything u could have it at the Tescos car park just out of town!!! Again depending on day or time.....

The truck stop carpark at warminster services is pretty big and is about 5 miles off the A303 for the Devon/Cornwall possie........and on Main roads A36 and A350.......so good for all of the South West.......

LoL.........just my suggestion!!!!

Laters

:thumbs:

MAC200
08-07-2003, 19:38
Infact that does sound better , looks like we could have lots of people attending this one . Not sure where this is but not a problem

Paul:)

fullmetalgasket
09-07-2003, 07:44
heres two more suggestions for you,
1. The haynes Museum is somewhere down between Bristol and Taunton ( can't remember where exactly think it's nearer Bristol ), only probs are that a. they would of course expect us all to visit the museum ( not a problem with a load of car nuts i'm sure! :rolleyes: ) and b. I've got a sneaky suspicion that their car park isn't very big. :( can anyone correct me there?

2.If people were willing to pay a little towards the meet we could possibly hire Castle Coombe Circuit! All the parking you could want and if anyone feels the need, the track is available! :D :D
Sadly i don't know what sort of costs are involved in this but can find out as i'm fairly local to the track.

With the obvious exception of Weston :wack: All the ideas so far are good with me :D , keep 'em coming! :thumbs:

SMiFFAD
09-07-2003, 07:55
my house :D big field for parking BBQ :D

not overly central though........... Castle combe sounds good but we'd have to get a lot of people to go to cover the cost sensably, also not very central......

Nicely
09-07-2003, 08:24
Have to say that, although its not exactly picturesque, the Warminster services is probably a good suggestion (and not cos its only 20 minutes away!). Loads of space and food round the corner. :thumbs:

The Architect
09-07-2003, 08:45
would be up for a large meet, :D
i'm sure loads of us from round Hampshire would be able to make it:D :thumbs:

bigtone
09-07-2003, 09:21
this is a reply from castle combe about a days hire-----

Tony,
Just filing some E-mails and found yours , not sure how it escaped the
system, we are not in the habbit of ignoring customers.
The circuit is available to hire for film shoots from £3000.00 per day
although we have very little availability during the summer months, or you
could consider booking in on one of our track days where you would get a
fair bit of driving time for £140.00, see our website for full info
www.castlecomberacingschool.co.uk

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Chris_Lacey
09-07-2003, 15:54
Keep the ideas rolling in :) :)

Glad it seems popular though :)

I also want to explore the idea of more regional reps, I live pretty central in Devon and Bristol is 80 miles away. We need to diversify the power :)

fullmetalgasket
09-07-2003, 19:09
The circuit is available to hire for film shoots from £3000.00 per day

:eek: :eek: Eeep! :eek: :eek:

Didn't expect that! ah well, back to the drawing board ( just how do the BMW and TVR lot cough up that much??:confused: )

I quite like the idea of a big field and a BBQ though, did that earlier this year round a friends farm... Doughnut tastic!!!!

Bart
09-07-2003, 19:18
and the BarBQ......wot time of year again....3 mths after Billing was mentioned, wasn't it?????:eek:

September time..........wot day as well....

Laters

SMiFFAD
09-07-2003, 19:54
right, someone give me a day.......will have to be a weekend.....and i will try and sort it out, obviously its me folks place, and i dont live there any more, but they should be ok........

Providing enough people think its a good idea/folks pass the idea etc etc.

Nicely
09-07-2003, 22:19
That's Devizes though... That's the middle of nowhere, isn't it? :D

SMiFFAD
10-07-2003, 07:57
Originally posted by Nicely

Yep, not a cozza for miles :D

CBomb
10-07-2003, 16:38

What?!?

Devizes in the middle of nowhere????

What about the famous Wadworth Brewery (spent a whole day in there p*ssed out of my mind)I used to (sort of) work for them!!!

***;)

Jeff
15-07-2003, 14:36
How about reviving the previously mentioned idea of a South West Rolling Road Day?

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35989

Big get together with a few power runs sounds fun to me :)

Had a look around and local(ish) Rolling Roads I could find were:

- TSR in Bridgewater
- Interpro in Bristol
- Nemesis in Stroud
- Streber in Cullompton
- Andreason in Dorchester
- the one in Merthyr Tidfil the Welsh boys used last time

Appologies if any of these have already shut down :o Does anyone know of any more (must be more than these :confused: )?

Don't know whether any of these are going to be conveneient for everyone but the idea was popular when Pete_C mentioned it last time, so thought I'd suggest it again and see if anyone was still keen :)

Pete C
15-07-2003, 14:55
Originally posted by Jeff
Don't know whether any of these are going to be conveneient for everyone but the idea was popular when Pete_C mentioned it last time, so thought I'd suggest it again and see if anyone was still keen :)

As long as I don't have to organise it 'cos I organised Castle Combe and it's not fair and I'll cry :cry:

Can you tell it's far too hot today and I'm throwing my toys out the pram :rolleyes:

Jeff
15-07-2003, 14:56
You have to organise it cos you posted the oringal thread :p

Nah, I don't mind ringing around and doing what I can if anyone is keen :)

bigtone
15-07-2003, 18:08
I'll come to interpro.:thumbs:
(I know where that is, and Dave is a top bloke :D )

CBomb
16-07-2003, 03:57
Depends on when and whether I'm in B'mouth or Surrey at the time.

If I can make it I'll be there!

***;)

(how about some media coverage like Jap Performance or Banzai? they seem to like doing articles on this type of thing)

The Architect
21-07-2003, 12:49
would be keen to match the meet with a RR day, need to get mine on some asap, to check on the new additions.:D :thumbs:

Originally posted by Cris Lacey
I also want to explore the idea of more regional reps, I live pretty central in Devon and Bristol is 80 miles away. We need to diversify the power

Cris: would gladly be rep for lovely Isle of Wight, i'm sure i could organise a meet with myself;) :D

CBomb
22-07-2003, 01:34
Originally posted by The Architect

Cris: would gladly be rep for lovely Isle of Wight, i'm sure i could organise a meet with myself;) :D

Oi Nige,

This is a family BB, I didn't think this sort of thing was encouraged:D :thumbs: :p

***;)

G-Bone
23-07-2003, 21:10
entertainment a bit scarce on the island eh Nige???

anyway getting back to the thread, cracking idea.

Bart
24-07-2003, 10:08
I thought the main idea was to get the whole of the South West meets together for one MEGA meet. The only problem with a RR day, is it is going to be limited...... to the amount of people turning up and taking part and the parking of everyone else.........

It looks like most people think its a great idea, but its just getting it together and coming up with somefink.....end of August would be good too....but lets see wot we all think to it!!!!!

Later:wave:

Jeff
24-07-2003, 10:12
Maybe a RR day would be better organised seperately then, just to try to help us all concentrate on one big SW meet as originally suggested :)

Bart
24-07-2003, 10:15
Just to come up with a place......

P.S. Is that a new one u now have jeff???????:cool:

Jeff
24-07-2003, 10:16
Yeah, that's the new one mate :) Wanna buy the white one? :D

How about we set up a poll for where to have the SW Meet? We'll need a short list of up to 10 locations :)

Bart
24-07-2003, 10:19
We have a few places listed so far.....and can make up a few others....

Do u want to go ahead Jeff and do it......the poll that is...

How much is the white one going for and bits onboard..Pm me about it mate....cheers:cool:

Jeff
24-07-2003, 10:25
Suggestions so far:

Midsommer-Norton
Shepton Mallet
Weston
Warminster
Castle Coombe
Devises

Other possible suggestions (?):

Bridgewater
Taunton
Salisbury
Yeovil

Nicely
24-07-2003, 10:28
Suggestions so far:

Midsommer-Norton
Shepton Mallet
Weston
Warminster
Castle Coombe
Devises

Other possible suggestions (?):

Bridgewater
Taunton
Salisbury
Yeovil Don't do Salisbury! :eek:

Jeff
24-07-2003, 10:31
Don't do Salisbury! :eek:
We can have up to 10 suggestions for voting on. Anyone got any thoughts on somewhere to replace Salisbury?

The Architect
24-07-2003, 10:37
how about somewhere on the coast!

Bournemouth or somewhere along there!:)

Nicely
24-07-2003, 10:44
We can have up to 10 suggestions for voting on. Anyone got any thoughts on somewhere to replace Salisbury? I say this because Salisbury is a complete nightmare to get to, get into, park, shop, anything.

Jeff
24-07-2003, 10:46
Originally posted by The Architect
how about somewhere on the coast!

Bournemouth or somewhere along there!:)
Being on the coast means it's less likely to be central (especially for us Bristol folks) :(

Could have Bournmouth/Poole as an option on the poll though to see what other people think :)

Nicely - I guessed that was what you meant mate, as you live there / work there (?) and don't reckon it'll be much cop for a meet I won't put it on the poll :)

SMiFFAD
24-07-2003, 10:59
bournmouth may not be a bad idea, stick a compus point in it and youll cover plymouth, brissul and loads of places....... plus it would be nice by the sea :D

Chris_Lacey
24-07-2003, 11:19
Uless you are coming from Wales of course..

I think Weston, or nearby would be cool??

Who is going to put up a location poll then?

Jeff
24-07-2003, 11:20
I'm just doing the poll now mate :)

PsYcHeS
15-09-2003, 10:20
Torbay!!

Hello!!

I travelled miles to the last, come see my part of the world

Ok i live here but there are a million nice places to drive out to from here,

also id say Plymouth is a good place to meet up, have a drive out to the country, pub lunch etc..
Pub there (Leg of Mutton) with HUGE carpark and car friendly owners... even if the landlords son is a bit of a lemon

Nicely
15-09-2003, 10:33
Is that an offer to organise, Rob? If so, post in the new thread! :thumbs: