PDA

View Full Version : speedo doing weird things

richy4
02-08-2001, 22:36
My speedo has started toplay up ...i was driving home tonight when the needle started jerking around then dropped to 0 then back up then down again then stayed a 0 for a bit then back to the correct speed.

Is this just a doggy crable conection that is easily fixed or something worse?

Dodger
03-08-2001, 04:25
One of three things (doubtful all).

1) The speedo's electronically controlled from a sensor at the back of the gearbox. It contains a reed switch which sends impulses to the speedo head. That might be up the duff (or its connector might simply be loose or full of road muck). The PDF workshop manual gives details of how to remove the sensor pinion and test it.

2) The works inside the speedo meter itself might be worn. Nissan service people tell me wear and tear in the speed head itself is not a common fault, but I've read all over the net about people having speedo and/or odometer problems (I've got the latter and have got a new - ie less old - combination meter to replace it with). You can't just fix the speedo if the trouble's in the meter itself - rather you can but it's bloody fiddly stuff. It's much easier to swap the whole meter unit.

3) The third problem could be that you're driving along and then stopping without realising it. You can test for this problem by listening for the irate shouts and horns of other drivers. The solution to this problem is to keep the RIGHT hand pedal pressed down all the time, thus giving constant forward motion and keeping your speedo needle in a satisfying position.

[This message has been edited by Dodger (edited 03-08-2001).]

richy4
03-08-2001, 07:34
Okay thans a lot i'll have a look into the first to things as for the third have no worries about keeping my floot firmly pressing to gas pedal!!

mambastu
03-08-2001, 16:30
I had this after somebody fitted a clutch to my car. It turned out to be a dodgy contact on the plug that goes onto the sensor in the gearbox.