PDA

View Full Version : moving the rad back

Jez
30-07-2001, 10:47
At last!!! I have got the Samco hoses from Demon Tweeks so I can fit my Saab FMIC. Has only taken 3 months...

Anyway - I need a little advise. What is the best way to move the radiator back. It's pretty obvious what needs to be done at the top of the rad. But what the best way to sort the bottom out? What brackets need to be made etc etc Will I need to shorted the coolant hoses, or can they just be bent back a bit???

Any help would be great! Thanks a lot.
Jez

------------------
http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~jhorsham/200sx.jpg

Dirty S13 with a few mods
200bhp ish with suspension and brake mods for trackdays

Clong
30-07-2001, 11:57
The rad will only go back as far as the bracket surporting the hose for the power steering, and i rested the rad and intercooler on some thick rubber matting, which was ty-wraped to the chassis. It doesn't move provided the top of the rad and intercooler are supported. I will probably make some brackets up later, just for piece of mind. I did end up cutting the water hoses back, but only becauce the clips holding then on orginaly had coroded(?) and cracked the hose underneath it. You won't be able to cut to much off the top hose as it bends at about 45 degrees shortly after joining the rad. When attached the top hose compresses slightly around the bends, but once the engine is warm, pressure in the system expands them and it doesn't seem to affect the cooling properties of the coolant.

As for the top of the intercooler, i used some studding and put it through the two existing holes in the intercooler. I made strips of stainless steel to bridge between the cooler and the slam panel, and used the existing rad brackets to go between the cooler and the rad.

Hopefully this will help, and make sure the clips are all tight. First time i wound it up first gear, one of the pipes came out of a hose and it all went pear shaped. Nothing a scew driver couldn't fix, but embarrisng none the less.

------------------
1990 Blue S13
Mongoose 'zorst
K&N, ND Boost upgrade, Saab FMIC.`

Dave_the_B
31-07-2001, 16:52
I did basically the same but pop riveted a piece of galvanised steel to the bottom of the engine bay.
I got a universal bendy top hose from Halfords and just bent the bottom hose back...no worries

Dave

------------------
Grey S13
T28
Evo 6 IC
266bhp @ 16psi

Jez
31-07-2001, 20:14
Cheers guys.

Started to have a go this evening - made up some bottom brackets for the rad and checked I had all the hoses and stuff I need. It all seems to fit OK. I've got air-con on my car and theres a pipe on the right of the engine bay at may cause problems... have to wait and see.

Should be worth it. Going to look good anyway.

I'll post links to pics when I've finished.

Thanks guys
Jez

Dave_the_B
01-08-2001, 18:28
To get round the air con pipe I nipped a little bit off of the side of the rad.

No worries

Dave

------------------
Grey S13
T28
Evo 6 IC
266bhp @ 16psi

Jez
02-08-2001, 09:38
I just bent the side of mine in a bit. Hopefully get it all sorted at the weekend!

Cheers guys
Jez