PDA

View Full Version : Mongoose exhaust and lambada sensor?

Spooky
10-06-2001, 10:23
Had the car serviced yesterday, everything seems okay, only things he pointed out were the exhaust is blowing, the tyres are all nearing the end of their useful (and legal) life, which I already knew, and also the rear brake pads are starting to crumble, so I'll be looking at getting some new pads PDQ. I was thinking about getting some EBC greenstuff, or has anyone got any better suggestions?

On the exhaust front (currently it's the standard Nissan one) I'm thinking of replacing the system with a Mongoose stainless steel jobbie, without the cat because my car was registered on 1st June 1992 I believe it doesn't need one? If I do get the Mongoose, what happens to the Lambada sensor? Does it get fitted into the new exhaust somewhere, and if not, what happens to the ECU being able to alter the air / fuel mixture?

------------------
Peter
Black 1992 200SX S13
Standard

Spooky
10-06-2001, 10:25
Just thinking, would a new exhaust system benefit by being setup on a rolling road?

------------------
Peter
Black 1992 200SX S13
Standard

Actual_Ben_Taylor
10-06-2001, 10:46
Don't worry about the lambda sensor, I think its fitted in the downpipe which you won't be replacing.

Also, I'll just say this again here http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/wink.gif,

NO S13 NEEDS A CAT LEGALLY

Ben

------------------
http://forums.evilnet.net/ubb/smilies/pc1.gif
Black '98 S14

Spooky
10-06-2001, 11:09
Cheers Ben, but I thought the Mongoose system was "from the turbo back"?

------------------
Peter
Black 1992 200SX S13
Standard

Mike_S13
10-06-2001, 12:42
The Lambda sensor is mounted to the manifold, so you dont need to move it.

------------------
Red '93 S13
A Few mods

Chimp
10-06-2001, 13:59
i didnt think S13's had them.

------------------
Dan
Red S13
Actuator/chip/filter
blue smoke, crunchy crank

Spooky
10-06-2001, 16:42
Thanks guys!

------------------
Peter
Black 1992 200SX S13
Standard

Matt_S
10-06-2001, 16:44
Hi Spooky,
Just had a look in their catalogue the size of Kays and EBC dont do Greenstuff for the rears, they only do the standard (Blackstuff).
Also, the lamda sensor bolts in to what we (Steve, Taff and myself) call the "elbow".
It bolts on to the back of the turbo and then passes down the front of the bulkhead to where the exhaust front pipe bolts on.
You wont have to worry about removing it. All cat 200's have lamda sensors as standard- they use it to read the mixture and then alters the fuelling as required via the ECU.
Non cat cars dont have a lambda sensor, but have an adjustable Airflow meter. There is a screw underneath a metal "cap" under a rubber cap/flap on the AFM.
A bit of advice - the night before you remove the exhaust, spray all the nuts around the elbow/front pipe flange (3 nuts) and while youre there you may as well spary all the pick-up points aswell.
These nuts are prone to rusting and welding themselves to the flange (ooerr misses!)

Hope this helps.

------------------
Matt
'92 S13
1/4 mile mad!

dave_s13
11-06-2001, 08:19
Wouldn't bother with fancy rear pads mate, for the amount of braking force they apply its not really worth it.

Jez
11-06-2001, 10:23
The amount of force the rear pads exert is smaller but so are the pads and disks. I got though a new set of std rear pads in 200 miles on the track...

No one seems to make decent rear pads for the S13 although Mintex will make up pads to order if you hand over loads of cash.

Spooky
11-06-2001, 10:49
Thanks again guys, guess I'll be going for standard pads then. On the exhaust front, I wouldn't be fitting it myself, either get my mate to fit it, or take it to somewhere local and get them to fit it.

------------------
Peter
Black 1992 200SX S13
Standard