PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Tappets??

Clong
09-06-2001, 06:44
I appear to have a tapping sound when the car first starts up, and then goes after about 5-10 seconds. It is more prevalent if the car has been left standing for a while of if it is cold.I think it comes from the tappets but not too sure. The oil used is mobil 1, and the engine had been slick 50'd just before i got hold of it. The car has been lightly modified (K&N cone filter, Mongoose exhaust & ND boost upgrade) and has 102k miles on the clock. The car runs fine, and this appears to be the only prob, if you can call it that. As i recall Audi's were renowned for a simlar thing, and it was just the hydraulic lifers charging with oil after it had leaked out. Is it something to worry about? If so how do i correct it?

Stevecarter200
09-06-2001, 10:37
Hi, youre right, it is the tappets like on the Audi. Its nothing to worry about, I think practically all of them do it (Its been discussed before on the forum).

------------------
Steve

Blue '89 S13, T28,
HKS IC, Mongoose,
Pipercross. 280ish bhp

Clong
12-06-2001, 12:36
Thanks for putting my mind at rest, dude. Nissan garages standard reply "bring it in and well have a look at it" usually accompanies a big 'ole bill. Well happy there's web site for the 200sx it's blinding car.

Kristian
12-06-2001, 21:16
Mine does it aswell, especially in the winter when its cold.Mobil 1 is also very thin. I used to use Mobil 1 but Hiteq told me that they use a thicker oil as they regard it as a bit thin.

Originally posted by Clong:
Thanks for putting my mind at rest, dude. Nissan garages standard reply "bring it in and well have a look at it" usually accompanies a big 'ole bill. Well happy there's web site for the 200sx it's blinding car.

Paul_Ralph
29-06-2001, 21:58
check to see if your valve lifters are draining of oil and are soft as this gives the noise you are talking about, and they are easy to check and change.