PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Noise (Oh ****)

dave_s13
08-06-2001, 07:58
The car has recently starting making a blowing noise which sounds like the exhaust is knackered. After getting under it though I can't see/feel any holes in the rear portion of the exhaust (CAT Back) and the noise is coming from the front.

Could this just be the turbo-CAT downpipe or is it possible that there's a problem with the turbo. Has anyone else had problems with the front zorst section? Where did you get a replacement from (Nissan want £122 for it!!)?.

Thanx for any replies, gunna take to a garage tomorrow to see whats what.

cheers
dave

olly200sx
08-06-2001, 08:55
I did have the front section undoe where the turbo bolts to the manifold and the downpipe, try tightening those or at least have a feel, warning make sure you have left it to cool first (3rd degree burns aren't very nice !)

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

cjones
08-06-2001, 11:17
I had/have a problem where the front manifold to turbo bolts keep working loose and they're a bitch to tighten properly. The turbo is an arse to get out, abs unit is in the way so gotta do it from underneath i think. I think it's my engine mountings, they're pretty worn and the flex in the engine (and not in the downpipe) works them loose. I've just had my turbo done, so need to get the mountings sorted before the turbo works its way loose again.

Carl

Kristian
08-06-2001, 11:18
I'd remove all your heat shield and then check for holes. Does it make a normal exhaust blowing noise or does it make a more hard edged noise? If its the turbo gasket just open the bonnet and rev the engine a little and if the noise comes from the manifold, its fairly obvious then its your turbo gasket, they dont last fantastically well. could also be the extension pipe to turbo thats blowing.