PDA

View Full Version : Just failed the MOT

06-06-2001, 10:48
My '89 SX has just been for its MOT and failed on quite a number of things. The main work needed is to the locks and ignition following an attempted theft. Given the general condition of the car, I am pretty close to thinking about selling or scrapping it. The list of failure points is as follows:

All tyres need replacing
Centre section of exhaust blowing
Headlamps non-functional (wiring damaged when broken into)
Outer door handles damaged
Front anti roll-bar bushes
Rear subframe mountings
Inner wheel arch and sill corrosion.

One thing I'm sure of is that I don't want to pay main dealer prices for the labour. I do realise that the majority of these parts will need to be sourced from Nissan.

I am in Northern England. Anyone know how I could best get hold of the spares without paying silly prices? How about a garage/mechanic recommendation? It would be a shame to have to lose the car as other than these worries, it drives and looks reasonably good.

I'd appreciate any help.

R.

Jon
06-06-2001, 17:20
There are lots of Jap scrap yards around Bradford & Leeds.
I got some bits recently from JapParts in Stockton by post. Check Auto Trader for phone numbers etc.
Japanese Auto Salvage is very close too me so I could collect and post on if they've got the bits.

------------------
Jon in Dewsbury
'95 blue/green S14

Kristian
06-06-2001, 17:40
I live in Manchester and would do all the work for you. I can also source the parts at reasonably good rates. If I was you I would try to source bits that are not likely to incur much wear from scrapyards. i.e. door handles. i too had an attempted theft and the car was written off but is now fine. If you'd like a chat or to come down aand see my 89 200 then please contact me. Replacing the rear subframe bushes means taking the subframe and diff off but is not too bad a job.These are excellent cars but can be expensive at times like this so at the end of the day it comes down to how much you like driving the car. Dismantled it is probably worth much more than as a car. The choice is up to you. Mine was written off and is now excellent, i'd be happy to show you it and restore your faith.