PDA

View Full Version : Jap import engine info....

rayzor
30-05-2001, 20:34
I have found out why my car is not as quick as it was with the old engine.
My car is an irish spec car and the engine packed in and a jap import engine went in.
The car stumbles on acceleration and has some flat spots as well. Brought it to a bloke who knows 200's in sideout and he said the import engines are not as quick or as powerful as the irish ones.
They have port valves and a throttle lever in the head which I'm told is for low down torque and emissions laws in japan. But the problem is the irish spec ecu is different to the jap one so it wont run properly.
So my car is off the road getting an irish cylinder head with out the port valves and I'm told I will notice the difference in acceleration and responsiveness straight away. will keep you posted.
Cheers,
Ray.

------------------
Ray
93 S13 dark red,
Running shit at the moment.

Stevecarter200
30-05-2001, 21:27
Just in case, but have you checked that the vacuum valve thingy that operates the port butterflies has been blocked off? Its at the back of the engine, inlet side, near the fuel rail and is gold coloured.
I was under the impression that Jap spec engines were more powerful than UK ones. Matt S has a Jap spec engine and it works fine so I suspect there is another problem with your car.

------------------
Steve

Blue '89 S13, T28,
HKS IC, Mongoose,
Pipercross. 280ish bhp

Kristian
30-05-2001, 22:20
ECU's on jap 200's and uk 200's are different and are not compatible. i.e. uk ECU with jap engine.therefore you will need a jap ECU with your imported engine.

Just in case, but have you checked that the vacuum valve thingy that operates the port butterflies has been blocked off? Its at the back of the engine, inlet side, near the fuel rail and is gold coloured.
I was under the impression that Jap spec engines were more powerful than UK ones. Matt S has a Jap spec engine and it works fine so I suspect there is another problem with your car.

[/QUOTE]

Kenny_s13
30-05-2001, 22:39
You do not need to change the ECU. having done several jap spec engines into s13's they are not a problem. http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif
Steve is correct on this one , Ive seen that (car go (Phew!)

[This message has been edited by Kenny_s13 (edited 30-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kenny_s13 (edited 30-05-2001).]

Papa Lazarou
30-05-2001, 23:04
The j-spec engines are more powerful than the UK equivalents. E.g an S14 has 220ish bhp in Japan vs 197bhp in UK. If you have a j-spec engine and ECU you should really not run it on normal unleaded though, you need to run it on super.

------------------
http://board.mr2pages.com/bulk/0746bsig.JPG http://198.87.240.30/GOgraph/Images-8712/AnimatedGif/pokemon_evolution_bulbizzare.gif
'94 Nissan Silvia K's (S14)
Awaiting delivery!

olly200sx
31-05-2001, 15:39
They are right, I have checked with a Japanese colleague and the j-spec has slightly different camshafts as well as the butterflys for more power, you don't need to block off the extra valve as without vaccuum to it, it won't work anyway. ( I have tried with a vaccuum hose connected to it and without and it makes no difference) I have been told that the japanese ecu runs some solenoids which controls the valve as my j-spec came with extra pipes that usually connect to these but I have no idea how they connect. Want to find out though as a bit of extra torque low down wouldn't go a miss !!!

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

rayzor
03-06-2001, 01:06
Right got me car back today.
It is running much better now, very quick and smooth just one little problem, car has still one flat spot at 3,600 rpm, the car is holding 1 bar boost no prob, so why is there still a flat spot? colder plugs went in, ht leads& coils checked no probs there, could it be the fuel pump?
Cheers
Ray.

------------------
Ray
93 S13 dark red,
car running much better.