PDA

View Full Version : Rattle tyoe noise

bond_200
30-05-2001, 17:12
Hi,
Don't know if anyone will be able to help me but my engine seems to make a slight rattle when kept at constant speed with revs at about 2-3000rpm, doesn't do it at any other point. I'm not sure if I want to know what it is,but I suppose I should find out.

Any ideas appreciated.
I don't want to ask Simon Norris just yet as I pester him about 800 times a month as it is!

------------------
Red S13
K&N + dump valve
Skyline Spoiler

30-05-2001, 19:19
Hi,
my 200 makes exactly the same noise. from what I've managed to find out, it seems like its major big end problems, but I've been told the only way to truely find out what it is, is to strip the engine down:-( I haven't decided what to do with mine yet...

bond_200
30-05-2001, 19:27
I had a strange feeling that it may have been something along those lines. I might just ignore it until my engine dies. Then I'll get a jap import engine.
Ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for confirming my fears.

bond_200
30-05-2001, 19:27
I had a strange feeling that it may have been something along those lines. I might just ignore it until my engine dies. Then I'll get a jap import engine.
Ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for confirming my fears.

Nathan_200sx
31-05-2001, 09:13
Sounds about right, mine are on there way again, I can just about hear the noise. arse this is the 2nd time. dont bother with another engine SE will sort you out in a day without the need to replace your engine for around £300, I replaced my engine last time and then found this out, I could have saved zillions and spent it on more mods.

------------------
Nathan
Red S13 Mongoose, K&N T3 280ish BHP http://mysmilies.com/smilies/cwm30.gif
Empty bank account

olly200sx
31-05-2001, 15:26
I did have this noise and it just got worse and worse until a trip down to Newquay when the engine went into blow up mode !!! When I stripped it the big end had come away, I then got a jap spec engine for £400 from japanese engines.

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

bond_200
31-05-2001, 17:09
Where did u get your jap engine from? the one I was looking at was £1175 from Norris Designs. Looks like yours might be a better option. I think I'd rather get a new engine as you would get piece of mind with it, i have a constant feeling that something else is gonna go wrong on mine - 107k miles. Maybe i'm paranoid.

Jeffers_S13
31-05-2001, 22:29
Without any doubt, big end bearings.

Everyone seems to have had them go at some time, a real common problem with S13's.

Mine went bad recently.No.4 totally screwed, 1 quite bad 2 and 3 OK (ish).Annoying thing is there was no sign of it before they went, but I had been giving mine a lot of abuse of late and it is now at 88,000.

SE have standard charge for doing them £300, takes a morning or so.

BUT it depends how bad they are. Mine was making a right racket. See my other thread RE expensive lesson.

Best for you to speak to Pete at SE. Better still take your car there, get Pete or Dave to listen to it. They will assess how bad it is. You got two options, £300 is just shells and its around £700 ish (dont quote me, Pete is currently sorting a fixed price for this) for reground crank and then new shells, I would recommend this as the way to go.I dont know where the £400 jap engine came from, but I wouldn't mind one that cheap!!! Bit late now as I just dropped mine off today for regrind and new shells...

PS - SE are REAL busy at the minute but Pete always seems to have time to speak to you.

James