PDA

View Full Version : Expensive lesson...

Jeffers_S13
27-05-2001, 15:55
Had your big end bearings done recently ?

Mine started banging, badly, not long ago. So took car to SE. Got there real early following a 4 hour drive from Coventry at 40mph (another story in itself) to avoid doing much more damage. The owner Pete just arrived (in a nice 300) came and introduced himself and welcomed me etc. When it was my cars turn Pete had a chat with me and said my noise was probably the worst he had heard (gulp, sounds expensive me thinks). He then went on to describe what he would expect to find once the sump was taken off. He expected knackered shells and damaged crank would recommend regrind crank and new shells etc.

Then he gave me two options.

1)Do the standard shell change £300. Hope the crank isn't too bad and then I drive home same day. Hope they last for a while then maybe get option 2 done at a later date.

2)Remove engine, grind crank new shells for a max. of £700. Would take 3 weeks cos they are so busy.(tut).

Being the skint student and not wanting to be without my car for ages and also intending to sell it soon and change to a car big enough to tow my other car (an R5) I opted for option 1. BIG MISTAKE ! I also thought the new shells would at least last long enough to sell it to some other poor bugger.

Once Dave had got the sump off I had a look at the crank, it was very badly scored, shells on 4 were totally shot, 1 was bad aswell but 2 and 3 were OK. As I was now going to have to pay out £300 quid anyway I had the new shells put on anyway. I asked Dave how long they might last, he said could be months, weeks or hours...

So I start to drive home at 45 mph, 25 miles from SE the sodding bearings start knocking again ! I was, annoyed, to say the least...

So now I'm looking at another £700 bill. I'm (still) waiting for Pete to get back to me to get it booked in for option 2. Looks like I'll probably sell the R5 now and keep the 200 for a while longer and maybe get it modded more and use it for track days instead. Also prob get cambelt done, I don't want any more expensive surprises.

The morale of this story ?

Listen to Pete, he really knows his stuff and if you get shells done have crank reground.

Just for the record my car has done 88,000 miles, has a (5 month old, rusty) Janspeed and K&N air filter. Since buying it 18 months ago, I have had NO problems at all and it ran like a dream showing no signs of big end bearing probs.

Be warned ! and prey you never hear any bad knocking noises from yours...

By the way SE is top place, my first visit, a lot bigger than ND. They got about 20 300's waiting for work. One is awaiting a 1000 BHP (?) upgrade ! its already got over 700 apparently, sounded awesome.

Kenny_s13
27-05-2001, 16:32
If you are getting the cambelt done, take my advice and fit a new water pump at the same time, otherwise you may be posting more - expensive lessons. I did the cambelt and within 48 hrs replaced a leaking waterpump- cost - labour is the same cost as the cambelt cos you have to remove it to get at the water pump. water pumps are cheap so you might as well do it at the same time.Better safe than sorry.

olly200sx
31-05-2001, 15:53
In view of that lesson I got off lightly, after mine went in Newquay and I was towed away by the old bill, on inspection it was the same no.4 had gone so I decided to search for a new engine and got a jap-spec for £400 and they all do low mileage with strict laws so you know theyr'e gonner be half decent. bargain.

------------------
S13 - Lots of Mods

SteveSadler
01-06-2001, 16:13
Olly, where did u get your Jap Spec Engine?

Chimp
02-06-2001, 11:28
mines has just started knocking at about 2500rpm on a steady throttle, it goes if you accelerate. Got a feeling my sx lifestyle is about to come to an abrupt end.

Bit annoyed.

Dan

kingdeacon
02-06-2001, 14:19
if you can do the job your self or know a mate that can, then chech out this site www.daverushton.co.uk (http://www.daverushton.co.uk) they dont work on cars just engines, so u do have to take it out your self! but he is very helpful always returns emails even if he cant help. the prices are bloody good to. Crankshaft grind £49.95
>Rebore £52.00
>Main brgs £75.06
>B\ends £67.00
>Pistons -- he's Still awaiting replies from Japan

so if the bottem ends what you want doing with a crank regrind and new b/ends, its only £116.95, not bad i think.

------------------
King De@con
loadz of side ways
nutty driving!
S13 red

symbol
04-12-2003, 11:12
Originally posted by Jeffers_S13

Listen to Pete, he really knows his stuff

By the way SE is top place, my first visit, a lot bigger than ND.

Sorry to bring this up, but ..... what are yr views now :rolleyes:

sorry, read this & thought how things change. ( apart from the brgs ) :cry:

arry
04-12-2003, 11:16
my thoughts are if he quoted £700 max in 2001 why the feck did he charge me £1450 in 2002 :mad: :annoyed:

oh, and i have a heavy pile of jap scrap sitting on a workshop floor for that £1k+ outlay too :rolleyes:

I'm currently doing my own big ends and hoping i've caught them early enough

symbol
04-12-2003, 11:25
:o yeh sorry arry, did'nt mean to bring back memories (?)

hoping I've caught mine early enough too.
Was just searching for brg options, put cheapy one's in last time, did'nt know if that helped either :(

Dai
04-12-2003, 11:26
In my experience of big end, (now done 5 CA18's) the crank usually needs grinding.

If your no4 was that bad, then SE should have said "aint gonna work doing the quick fix".

Dont think they did you a great service there IMO.

My old engine is the only one i have had before it started knocking (the others were projetcs bought with the fault already there) and i barely did 500 miles on it of slow driving. But i am defo expecting to have to regring the crank before it goes back into the other S13 i have.

Dai

arry
04-12-2003, 11:26
mak k is ur man mate, £48 a set for heavy duty jobbies.

It really aint that hard to DIY it. Its a shit job, but if it saves you reddies its worth doin.

arry
04-12-2003, 11:28
Originally posted by Dai
In my experience of big end, (now done 5 CA18's) the crank usually needs grinding.

on the other hand you may just get away with it, or thats what im hoping for anyway :(

Steve Carter had his big ends done by SE's when they were knockin pretty bad, his survived 20k miles after and when he pulled the lump were still ok.

I live in hope :indiff:

symbol
04-12-2003, 11:39
Originally posted by Dai

Just chq'd back to when I did the brgs last & I don't think i had it reground :eek: :annoyed:

what a t:censored:t, think i was on one of my budget moments

Wak
04-12-2003, 11:43
I also thought the new shells would at least last long enough to sell it to some other poor bugger.

:D

pauly
04-12-2003, 11:54
I have read many bad things about SE Nissan on this board, and it makes a real change to hear something positive about them.

My personal experience in dealing with SE, and with Pete in particular, is having absolutely no problems with them at all. Pete knows his stuff.

I had my Big Ends done there also, about a year ago. Much like Jeffers, mine was knocking badly, and Pete offered similar advice. I went for the rebuild option and was glad I did. The car runs sweet as a nut ever since.

The problem with this board I believe, is that you only hear one side of the story. Now thats not to say people are writing the wrong story, but there are always two sides.

symbol
04-12-2003, 12:05
Originally posted by pauly
I have read many bad things about SE Nissan on this board, and it makes a real change to hear something positive about them.

Look @ the date of jeffers 1st post ;)

Jeffers_S13
04-12-2003, 12:10
Originally posted by Wak

:D

Errr, thanks for that :o

This is an oldie ! ! , I thought WTF ? I dont remember posting that, till I read the date, arrrhh, memories of the summer I graduated. Spent about 6 weeks drinking lager and watching telly in the sun ! waiting for my car to be fixed.

Well as the bearings they put in are still in that engine after a good 15k miles I would say I was pleased with the work they did.

I am well aware that lots of people have trouble with them, I dont wanna start a debate or an argument but my experience with them was a good one, I dont stand up and defend them but nor do I slate them. I paid in my eyes a lot of money and they did a good job IMHO. The shells are a bit worn now, as I have recently totally stripped the engine but Id expect that after about 10k miles at highish boost levels.

Since taking the car to them I have learned a hell of a lot about the car and do all the work myself now, at the time I was at Uni, had no tools and all I had was a sloped gravelled driveway, it was OK for servicing, but that was it. I had never really had, what I thought at the time, such an advanced car compared to the rust boxes Id been driving around in until I got it, I wasnt confident that I could do the work and when I got down there and I met Pete I was impressed by his knowledge, this forum was nowhere near as big as it is now, in fact there were about 12 or so members ? ? and the manual we all take for granted now was just a dream ! !

I dont know why things seem to have gone from bad to worse for them, when I was there Pete seemed like a knowledgable bloke and the guys that were working there did a good job on my car. However the customer service was crap, they never returned my phone calls and had me waiting ages. But Pete did drive me to the train station in a 300, which was a dream car of mine at the time :D.

As I have never been back and will probably never go back now cos of my knowledge of the car and the changed circumstances I dont think my view is really relevant anymore, however I think from peoples more recent experiences of them I doubt I would anyway.

James

arry
04-12-2003, 12:48

I dont know why things seem to have gone from bad to worse for them, when I was there Pete seemed like a knowledgable bloke and the guys that were working there did a good job on my car.

The bloke workin on your car (Dave Engwell) was good, but has since left
Pete does know his stuff - I have no doubt about that, but the monkeys he trusts to do engine rebuilds quite obviously dont
As for things going bad to worse, a certain person who's name begins with "B" has something to do with it IMO :indiff:

pauly
05-12-2003, 06:34
Ok, so it does help to look at the date of these posts.

However my point still stands.