PDA

View Full Version : Boost Upgrade and ND Stage 1 = Tune?

Richy_Boy
18-07-2001, 18:38
I bought a ND stage 1 kit about 4 months ago, and have fitted all bar the chip. Well to tell the truth I had the chip in b 4 the actuator, but it used so mcuh fuel I took it out just before I fitted the Actutor.. few..
Anyway, I am about the put the chip back in now, and was wondering if putting them together will required the timing to be adjusted? It is standard and fine atm with 16psi MAX.

Cheers if you can help!

------------------
Rich
S13 J reg Graphite Grey - ND200, Koni Adj., 17" wheelz, dropped. Broken.

kerfumph
18-07-2001, 18:51
If you've fitted the actuator and not the chip are'nt you hitting the fuel cut off at full boost? Advance(or is that retard?) the timing buy about 1 degree to 14 btdc.

------------------
Graham
90' s13

[This message has been edited by kerfumph (edited 18-07-2001).]

Richy_Boy
18-07-2001, 19:22
//yeah thought you had to change the tiing, but no one around here had too toolz, as we dont have HT cables! Seems top be fine. Only hit the cut off once, and that was when first fitted the actuator, and hit about 21 psi!! **** myself is the word im looking for...

Anyway.. All seems fine.. have I got away with it?

------------------
Rich

Paul_S13
18-07-2001, 19:56
I would be careful about running high boost on a standard chip, have you had your car rolling roaded?

------------------
Black S13
235Bhp @ 5600rpm
Saab intercooler
Big ass HKS 'zorst with 3 inches of ground clearance
Now posting in a forum is alot like making love to a beautiful woman, you click a button, press the right keys.......... http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif

http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/contrib/edoom/microwave.gif

kerfumph
18-07-2001, 20:50
Something odd there. The standard chip cuts the fuel at 12 psi,and if it did'nt for some reason you would pink like mad,are you a)sure it's not been chipped before b)is your boost gauge right c) is the actuator set right?

------------------
Graham
90' s13

Christian
18-07-2001, 21:31
Originally posted by kerfumph:
Something odd there. The standard chip cuts the fuel at 12 psi,and if it did'nt for some reason you would pink like mad,are you a)sure it's not been chipped before b)is your boost gauge right c) is the actuator set right?

Aaaah, come on that's not true!!

The ECU will inject the correct amount of fuel as this car has an AFM which measures the mass of the air going into the engine.

I run mine with the standard chip and 0.95 bar since 1 Year without probs (and no cut at all)
I even advanced!!! the timing 1 month ago to 20° BTDC, but retarded it to 17° now (mind you I only run 98 octane and we have very good fuel quality here)
the car ran soooooo smooth with the 20° you wouldn't believe it.. different car, more power also

Downside is the engine wasn't too happy with this as the plugs were light grey which means too hot/lean
Now I've colder plugs and with the 17° everything is fine...

I'll have the car tested with a lamda monitor in some weeks.. I'm curious what it will show

Chris

kerfumph
18-07-2001, 21:55
??????? Mine definatly cuts the fuel at 12 psi

------------------
Graham
90' s13

Richy_Boy
19-07-2001, 08:39
Well as far as I know the car has not been Chipped before.. (Standard ECU anyway). I have been giving the car some grief with R5 Turbos too, but not a hint of cutting the fuel! The gauge is from ND and seems to be fine. I installed it b 4 the actuator, and it measured 10 psi at full boost. Dont ask me how?!
I have not had the car rolling roaded or even tuned yet (lack of dosh), and I suspect they will need to tweak something as its doing 26 mpg TOPS (granny driving). Runs smooth though, no smoke, no hesitation...

Timing has been left as normal too. All seems OK. When I bought the cr I noticed some screw holes in the side near the stereo (passengers side), and when having my tunbo timer fitted the guy said someone has had one fitted before and has taken it out, so maybe it was souped up and then put back (leaving the timing). Odd how it didn't cut out though at 12psi.. Hmmm :\

------------------
Rich

Mannie
19-07-2001, 12:26
I've got a standard chip with a bleed valve. My boost gauge measures 14.5psi and Dual Turbo Timer measures 0.95bar and I have never hit fuel cut-off.

I have been told to turn the boost up slightly until I hit fuel cut-off, then turn it down slightly but I am happy with the way its running at the moment and don't want to temp fate.

SteveSadler
19-07-2001, 12:56
Steve (mannie)

remember once when u told me how u werent goin to do anything to ya motor. now look

Turbo Timer, Bleed Valve, Nismo Bushes (exhaust waiting to go on)

mm what next I wonder.

TURN IT UP!! http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Bayside Blue S13.
Janspeed&D-Cat Pipe/Pace FMIC/BMC F1 Filter/Standard T25 @ 15psi
15.4 @ 98mph - North Wield Air Strip
Flywheel Figure 213bhp/209Ib ft @ 5375RPM
Power at the Wheels 166bhp
(as of 15/6/01 @ Power & Engineering)

Richy_Boy
19-07-2001, 13:05
I second that motion!! Seriously I have had my car set at 15-16 for 6 months on the standard chip without a mutter. 21psi shut the thing off though!! he he.. Damn actuator! Why dont they come preset at 15psi when you buy from ND??

Go on....

ps. DISCLAIMER: If you blow your engine up, it was his fault.. he started it!

------------------
Rich

Stevecarter200
19-07-2001, 14:19
Richy_Boy, youve installed your boost guage before the actuator? That will be why your readings seem high with no fuel cut. It should be installed at the injection plenum.
You may be reading 16psi but that is what the turbo is boosting at, not what your engine is actually getting because there are pressure losses through the IC and pipe work- up to 5 psi! So you may be only getting 11psi at the engine which is within the limits of the standard chip.
Plumb your guage in to the plenum, theres a small outlet just after the throttle flap, on the side nearest the wing. It points down slightly. Your car being a J plate, there is possibly a pipe on there already so just T off that. See what difference in pressure reading you get, then whack it up to about 15psi (with the chip installed) and have a play with the timing. The difference will be amazing. Have fun! http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Steve
Blue '89 S13, T28,HKS IC, Mongoose (HKS soon),Pipercross.
280ish bhp, 13.77s @103mph Qutr :D
For legal reasons, all my posts are, in my opinion, bollocks
TC is for girlies :)

kerfumph
19-07-2001, 14:30
OOOOOH!!! I thourght he meant he installed his boost gauge then the actuator.Doh!

------------------
Graham
90' s13

Stevecarter200
20-07-2001, 00:13
Maybe he did mean that. Bugger. I might be getting confused. I think working nights is screwing with my head. Must get sleep soon.

Beamish
20-07-2001, 14:34
Im sure ND states the standard chip will cope up to 17 psi.After that the stage one must be fitted.(check out the boost/chip section at ND.
Im interested because Im heading up the boost upgrade path myself http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Red 1992 S13-Powered by guiness/Stella dependant on weather conditions http://mysmilies.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi?cwm/3dlil

Richy_Boy
20-07-2001, 18:22
Well do I look dumb? lol. Yes I did install the boost gauge first, and it IS in the injection nipple thingy. (you know!)Chamber.
This was the order..
1)Boost gauge
2)Chip (2 weeks)
3)Chip out (too thirsty!)
4)Actuator (4 months odd)
5)Chip back in ready for RR...

http://300zx.co.uk/200sx/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Rich