PDA

View Full Version : Ambient temperature affecting boost with ..

andyf
14-07-2001, 04:20
Hey all,
I understand that there can be some quite wild changes in horsepower just from the temperate of the day, I think Christian said his car varies between 180 and 210 which is somewhat of a large range.
I was wondering if the Norris FMIC, or other intercoolers, reduce this by much? I've been reading a lot of american web stuff about mazda / supra tuning and it seems to be giving the impression that some intercoolers can virtually kill the ambient boost change - is this true? I'm getting the Norris FMIC fitted next week along with the boost upgrade and stuff and hope to be making around 220-230 bhp, but wondered how much this would change by on a rainy and cold day to a rather unusual bright sunny day.
Ta.

------------------
Graphite Grey S13
HKS Eggs Horsed / KYB Shocks and Startled / AVO Trampolines
- All comments are based on the size of my garden -

Christian
14-07-2001, 12:46
Hi!

Well, I'm still on the standard IC, so if you face it... I nearly have no IC, because the standard unit is sh**

Well, you can never ever completely get rid of performance changes dependant on ambient air temperature.
Simple physics stuff.
Hot air is less dense than cold air hence less oxygen-molecules fit inside the combustion chamber. Therefor less molecules are available for burning the fuel -> less power.
In fact the ECU adjusts the amount of fuel injected into the engine according to the air temp. Otherwise the mixture would be too rich when its hot and too lean when its cold.

And the reason why ICs can never help you out of this dilemma is, that the IC can only cool the intake air down to the ambient air temperature - and this only if it has 100% efficiency - which they don't have.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Christian